The Lady of the Lake (The Witcher) by…

The Lady of the Lake (The Witcher) (edition 2017)

by Andrzej Sapkowski (Author), David French (Translator)

Member:muralijayapala
Title:The Lady of the Lake (The Witcher)
Authors:Andrzej Sapkowski (Author)
Other authors:David French (Translator)
Info:Orbit (2017), 560 pages
Tags:fiction, eb

Lady of the Lake by Andrzej Sapkowski

English (9)  German (3)  Polish (1)  All languages (13)
Va'esse deireadh aep eigean, va'esse eighe faidh'ar...
  NenadN | Sep 6, 2019 |
It ended. And I am sad.

This one has everything. Great, raging battles, riveting final showdowns, one last, unexpected revelation about Ciri’s bloodline... sex, violence, magic, love, the ravages of war... But mostly we have stories within stories, fairy tales, investigations... what is true, and what is made up? Which version of the story is right? And does it really matter? After all, not only Ciri is Master of Worlds - so are writers. And as Ciri, Sapkowski seemlessly slips between worlds, blurring the boundaries, leaving the reader with a bit of a buzzing in the head, occasionally stumped, nevertheless, always enchanted. ( )
  Gezemice | Mar 8, 2019 |
Continuation of the story and in some ways the end, finishing about the time the PC games begin. Ish, but there's some much time distortion going on, plus the games don't follow the same timeline that it's a but hard to tell.

Despite the book's title and the opening chapters, this is actually mostly Geralt's story. While he's waiting to hear word of Ciri's fate he's diverted into spending some time in Toussant. He explore a number of cellars and is waylaid by the resident sorceress, before hearing word of where Yennifer has been taken. He manages not to tell the other sorceresses and heads off with his companions (also not present in the games).

Ciri meanwhile is trapped in an elven world, and only manages to escape by bouncing through various other world/times. We get odd chapters as she tries to find herself again. The importance of unicorns is not clear.

There's lots of fighting some amusing sex amongst the books, a few random monsters not heard of before or since (because Geralt kills them all). Pretty much run of the mill Witcher fare. Some of the banter between the comrades is almost humerous. ( )
  reading_fox | Nov 22, 2018 |
This is the last novel of the Witcher series (although another novel, from earlier in the chronology, will be released in a year). It both contains the best and worst of the series. The structure focuses heavily on the fallibility and angled nature of stories - so that the reader never really knows where the truth lies. It starts with Ciri herself relating her past and that of the main players in the Witcher stories to an English Arthurian knight. Soon there is the alternative attempt at catching the story via Nenneke, many decades after the fact, along with one of her acolytes, who is able, apparently, to see the past in her dreams. Added to this are the various texts at the start of chapters, and the characters inside chapters that put down events into words, sometimes to please their superiors, sometimes to attempt to catch the truth. This makes the main story itself rather foundationless and hard to believe. And at times it weakens our engagement with the overall plot. I found this tool used excessively and clumsily. If it were used entirely consistently, presumably we wouldn't really ever have sections normally told from the author's point of view, but we do. So is that part of someone else's story? Or the real one? That others then misinterpret? There were also entire chapters devoted to very minor characters that I really struggled to engage with. And other entire chapters trying to capture the political and geographical landscape of the war and then the peace discussions that followed. I really just wanted to miss these and go straight to finding out what next was happening to Geralt, Yennefer or Ciri. But, finally, we do get to see these three main characters reunited, after about four novels of frustrating separation and - spoilers ahead - this was worth the annoying wait. The finale of all these novels was incredibly dramatic, as these three took on the worst of the toxic characters, and all survive, although quite a few other main characters very sadly aren't so lucky. The ending, with Geralt dying rather randomly as he tries to defend some dwarves against a pogrom, after declaring his retirement and hanging up his sword, was terribly sad. When Yennefer then dies trying to heal him and using up too much magic, things became even more tragic. There was a possibility that Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri COULD live happily ever after just now, but this was all thrown away. Ciri escapes, and effectively, we presume, dooms her world to catastrophe in that escacpe. So things are even worse than this, and she is maybe a shell of a girl after losing her surrogate parents. So it was really quite a haunting, painful ending that I struggled with for a few days. Obviously I would have liked some kind of happy ending, but that's never been what the Witcher novels was like. It was more about the gritty dark reality that most of history involved, and there are rarely happy endings. So the randomness of Geralt's death, the inability for anyone to have peace was something I admired even if it cut up my heart after these characters I'm so attached to are so easily destroyed. It was a very strong ending to a series that I found frustrating, irrelevant, but at times incredibly poignant and wonderfully dramatic. I'm sure in time I'll take the best of the novels with me, and the finale scene of this novel, and its aftermath are definitely up there with the best of the series. ( )
1 vote RachDan | May 10, 2018 |
Here it is, the end of The Witcher Saga. The beginning of the book is bogged down with the two scholars researching the legend of Geralt and the witcher girl. Once passed this hurdle, the book returns to Geralt, Ciri, and Yen, with minor interruptions of other characters discussing the war and its aftermath. These at least, were about the events taking place around the main characters and more enjoyable to read. We are left a somewhat ambiguous ending, left to interpretation although its unlikely the fairy tale ending at least one character wanted. ( )
  Cerelin | Mar 18, 2018 |

Andrzej Sapkowskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
French, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simon, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"The Witcher returns in this action-packed sequel to The Tower of Swallows, in the New York Times bestselling series that inspired The Witcher video games. After walking through the portal in the Tower of Swallows while narrowly escaping death, Ciri finds herself in a completely different world... an Elven world. She is trapped with no way out. Time does not seem to exist and there are no obvious borders or portals to cross back into her home world. But this is Ciri, the child of prophecy, and she will not be defeated. She knows she must escape to finally rejoin the Witcher, Geralt, and his companions - and also to try to conquer her worst nightmare. Leo Bonhart, the man who chased, wounded and tortured Ciri, is still on her trail. And the world is still at war"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,109,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible