The Wild Wood by Charles De Lint

The Wild Wood (original 1994; edition 2004)

by Charles De Lint (Author)

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:The Wild Wood
Authors:Charles De Lint (Author)
Info:Orb Books (2004), Edition: 1st, 205 pages

The Wild Wood by Charles de Lint (1994)

The main interest in [The Wild Wood] is that it is [[Charles de Lint]]'s first novel. It's awkward and uneven - alternating from first to third person and back again, and dipping in and of more than one 'mode- from elegiac to pragmatic, from metaphysical debate to preachy (about environmental damage). Eithne Gerrow is an artist in a dry uninspired spell and has retreated to her cabin north of Ottawa where she comes face-to-face with her own sorrows in an unexpected way. In some ways the meta-debate is the best part - is Faerie real? Does it matter if it is real or not? We summon and see the spiritual 'beings' , each in our own way and according to our own needs, to heal ourselves and others. It feels as though de Lint is working out his own view of the matter here. My daughter loves his books and has asked me recently, Do you think the world he writes about is real. Do people go there? Have you been there? I gave her pretty much the same answer de Lint comes up with here. All the same, I'm not sure this would be a great place to begin the de Lint adventure; while the writing has the smooth elegance characteristic of de Lint, it's not as well crafted as his later work. Nonetheless it was a fascinating read, watching a writer find himself. ***1/2 ( )
1 vote sibyx | Jan 5, 2013 |
I enjoyed this quickly read book because it is set in the north woods of Canada and the descriptions remind me so much of what I love about nature. It is a sweet story about a young woman artist dealing with her muses and faeries in the woods. It is also about change and being open to live. In the end, it was a sweet, uplifting read but not hugely remarkable. ( )
1 vote maggie1944 | Mar 28, 2009 |
A wonderful faery tale. About an artist who takes herself off to a secluded retreat for inspiration and finds strange and beautiful faery folk mysteriously appearing in her sketches. She finds out that the world of faery is in danger of extinction and is calling out to her for help in their survival. A fantastic read by this brilliant author. ( )
  kehs | Aug 26, 2008 |
I read this book shortly after it came out and loved it. This is not an action packed story, it is rather contemplative. The concept of the series was intriguing, I think it is sad they never completed it. ( )
  lmteske | Jun 25, 2008 |
I was disappointed in The Wild Wood. It is Charles de Lint's first novel, so perhaps that explains it, but I really felt that the writing in this book was poor. The theme, plot, and moral were interesting enough, though they were often presented too overtly, or presented too many times. I would not recommend The Wild Wood, but since Charles de Lint is so acclaimed, I'm willing to read more of books to form a more educated opinion. ( )
1 vote WoodWoman | Aug 13, 2007 |

Charles de Lintprimary authorall editionscalculated
Froud, BrianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, Stephen T.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We have loved the stars too fondly
to be fearful of the night.

-- Inscription on a New England tombstone
Animula, vagula, blandula,
Hospes, comesque, corporis;
Quae nunc abibis in loca,
Pallidula, rigida, nudula?

(Sorry-lived, blithe little, flittering sprite,
Comrade and guest in this body of clay,
Whither, ah! whither, departing in flight,
Rigid, half-naked, pale minion, away?)

-- Attributed to Emperor Hadrian on his deathbed
Go and wake up your luck.

-- Persian proverb
For Donna Gordon, whose artistic talent is equalled only by her generous spirit
...like music entangled in a thorny embrace, leaf-sigh, branch-rustle.

A young artist returns to her cabin in the deep woods of Canada to concentrate on her illustrations. But somehow, strange and beautiful creatures are slipping into her drawings and sketches. The world of Faerie is reaching out to her for help--and she may be its last chance for survival.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:51 -0400)

Returning to her cabin in the woods of Canada to concentrate on her illustrations, a young artist sees strange and beautiful creatures appearing within her sketches and discovers that she is being asked for help by the world of Faerie.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,463,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible