Babylon Sisters by Pearl Cleage

Babylon Sisters

by Pearl Cleage

Series: West End (2)

This was a great story about a single mother. The only thing that really turned me off was the push for the "power of the black woman". I am not a believer in the oppression stuff. Everyone empowers themselves and if you don't it is your own fault. Otherwise, I was extremely impressed with the way this mom was strong and independent. ( )
  AMKee | Oct 24, 2014 |
I agree with some of the complaints about Babylon Sisters being a bit scattered, and sometimes obvious...but what relationship with sisters -- whether by birth or luck -- isn't both of those, from time to time? Pearl Cleage's stories just make me happy. They're romances, at heart, but the men and women who populate them are real people, with real faults and worries. When they fall in love, its not a rescue, and when they have sex, its neither careless nor earth-shattering. I like them, because I *would* like them, if I knew her characters in person.

I read a review, today, that noted (and, I paraphrase) that if you can't find a character you can root for to have an emotional transformation, whats the point of finishing the book? Cleage's characters are Good People, doing the best they can, and sometimes getting it wrong, but sticking together, no matter what. I can root for that, despite a few flaws. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |

Catherine Sanderson seems to have it all: a fulfilling career helping immigrant women find jobs, a lovely home, and a beautiful, intelligent daughter on her way to Smith College. What Catherine doesn’t have: a father for her child– and she’s spent many years dodging her daughter’s questions about it. Now Phoebe is old enough to start poking around on her own. It doesn’t help matters that the mystery man, B.J. Johnson–the only man Catherine has ever loved–doesn’t even know about Phoebe. He’s been living in Africa.

Now B.J., a renowned newspaper correspondent, is back in town and needs Catherine’s help cracking a story about a female slavery ring operating right on the streets of Atlanta. Catherine is eager to help B.J., despite her heart’s uncertainty over meeting him again after so long, and confessing the truth to him–and their daughter.

Meanwhile, Catherine’s hands are more than full since she’s taken on a new client. Atlanta’s legendary Miss Mandeville–a housekeeper turned tycoon–is eager to have Catherine staff her housekeeping business. But why are the steely Miss Mandeville and her all-too-slick sidekick Sam so interested in Catherine’s connection to B.J.? What transpires is an explosive story that takes her world–not to mention the entire city of Atlanta–by storm.

From the New York Times bestselling author of What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day . . . comes another fast-paced and emotionally resonant novel, by turns warm and funny, serious and raw. Pearl Cleage’s ability to create a gripping story centered on strong, spirited black women and the important issues they face remains unrivaled.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:31 -0400)

"Catherine Sanderson seems to have it all: a fulfilling career helping immigrant women find jobs, a lovely home, and a beautiful, intelligent daughter on her way to Smith College. What Catherine doesn't have: a father for her child - and she's spent many years dodging her daughter's questions about it. Now Phoebe is old enough to start poking around on her own. It doesn't help matters that the mystery man, B.J. Johnson - the only man Catherine has ever loved - doesn't even know about Phoebe. He's been living in Africa." "Now B.J., a renowned newspaper correspondent, is back in town and needs Catherine's help in cracking a story about a female slavery ring operating right on the streets of Atlanta. Catherine is eager to help B.J., despite her heart's uncertainty over meeting him again after so long, and confessing the truth to him - and their daughter." "Meanwhile, Catherine's hands are more than full since she's taken on a new client. Atlanta's legendary Miss Mandeville - a housekeeper turned tycoon - is eager to have Catherine staff her housekeeping business. But why are the steely Miss Mandeville and her all-too-slick sidekick Sam so interested in Catherine's connection to B.J.? What transpires is an explosive story that takes Catherine's world - not to mention the entire city of Atlanta - by storm."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,945,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible