Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of…

Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload (edition 2007)

by Mark Hurst

Member:rightantler
Title:Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload
Authors:Mark Hurst
Info:Good Experience (2007), Hardcover, 192 pages
Collections:Electronic Books, Stewart's Read
Tags:business, personal development, culture, Y10

Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload by Mark Hurst

Data Smog: Surviving the Information Glut Revised and Updated Edition by David Shenk (CraigLeger)
    CraigLeger: Data Smog looks at the broader problem of information overload from the perspective of culture and society. Bit Literacy focuses in on information management, and provides practical steps for managing the many different information streams (bit streams) in our lives: email, ToDo lists, files, photos, and other media.… (more)

Part I and Chapter 13 could have been combined to form a thought-provoking essay, but instead we get the filler that is so quirky that it's almost useless to anyone who is bit literate. I feel like the author is trying to impose a DOS-based view of computing that has no place in modern times. There are an incredible number of tools out there that can manage our bits, and he barely scratches the surface, preferring to use methods and tools that seem perpetually stuck in 1995. ( )
  eclecticlibrarian | Aug 18, 2010 |
Although a couple of years old this book is full of highly relevant and helpful productivity ideas. It's not about using everything presented as the gospel according to Mark. However, I would guess that is most readers applied just 10% of what they read here they will enjoy huge productivity gains in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload! ( )
  rightantler | Apr 24, 2010 |
A short pseudo-self-help book after the GTD ([b:getting things done|1633|Getting Things Done The Art of Stress-Free Productivity|David Allen|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1158299716s/1633.jpg|5759]) fashion.An even shorter summary: "Clear your inbox: clear your mind." ( )
1 vote rrriles | Apr 7, 2010 |
What this book has to offer is so desperately needed: sanity in the face of overload! It is especially appropriate if you think an empty inbox is outrageous or impossible AND you are feeling overwhelmed by the flow of tasks that arrive on your screen and desk each day.

I've read Getting Things Done by David Allen. I have practiced the habits described in both books with varying consistency and moderate success. I am a very absent-minded person who loves the structure and efficiency that comes from adopting a clever, well-adapted work flow. This book can help those who want to help themselves to a better work-lifestyle.

I acknowledge that some reviewers have dismissed the help offered here because they are not ready for change in their lives. Mark Hurst holds us responsible for our choices: "Your bits are your responsibility." And that message doesn't suit folks who want to succumb to, and to blame, external forces.

Furthermore I don't completely agree where some reviewers have poo-pooed this book as a choir hymnal for the already-converted techno-compulsives. It is a rare individual who already manages all their bits in all the ways that Hurst suggests. I could be considered a techno-compulsive and there were definitely new ideas for me. Best of the bunch: the gootodo web app. I wish Mark Hurst would sell this software or offer it in an open source package!

As an educator and technology specialist, I care a lot about helping other folks, the overwhelmed and non-compulsive types especially, to put technology in it's place in their careers. That place is one of partnership, one where technology is a lever for their talents and not a guillotine. This book can help tremendously in reforming counter-productive responses to an ever-growing stream of digital media and digital task management woes.

It runs a close second to David Allen's book on Getting Things Done. The books are fine complements to each other. I will be coming back to Hurst's ideas often in my work with fellow educators and their students in the burgeoning eLearning community. - Kathy Cannon (kathycannon.com) ( )
  kcannon | Oct 15, 2009 |
Quick Review: Good for a newbie, interesting skim for more savvy user.

Bit Literacy by Mark Hurst is another addition to the long, really long, list of techno-productivity books trying to answer the question; “How do we function effectively in an increasingly fast-paced, information saturated, complex world?” Mark focuses on the methods for managing “the bits”; the documents, pictures, email, and other data we frequently work with. There are hints of bigger problems that need solving here and the basic principles of simplicity and data portability are on point, but the target audience of the book seems to be the newbie so overwhelmed by the changing technology that they cannot keep up. Worthy of a very quick skim by those who are already familiar with technology.

Complete review: http://blog.thethoughtcollector.com/?p=13 ( )
1 vote KevinEldon | Jul 3, 2008 |

"Bit Literacy" is essential reading for anyone who has experienced "digital overload": the daily flood of e-mail, multiple todo lists, a cluttered desktop, documents in various file formats, and the constant distraction of cell phones and other devices. More than a quick fix or another "how-to" guide, the book offers an entirely new way of attaining productivity that users at any level of expertise can put into action right away. This is "bit literacy," a method for working more productively in the digital age, with less stress. Mark Hurst - who has reached hundreds of thousands of readers through his Good Experience e-mail newsletter, Uncle Mark technology guides, thisisbroken.com, and other websites - has revealed the way to survive, and thrive, in the digital age: "Let the bits go."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:45 -0400)

There's finally a solution for information overload. Bit Literacy, the new book by Mark Hurst, describes how to manage e-mail, todos, photos, a media diet, and other sources of stress for people today. Bit Literacy is written for normal, non-techie users, and it doesn't require any special software or computer skills. Read the book and you'll start working more productively, so as to live a fuller life outside of work. - Publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,319,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible