Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

The Color Purple (1982)

by Alice Walker

1980s (41)
Read (46)

English (255)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (263)
Thought I might read it but I just don't have any interest in the subject.
  librisissimo | Feb 9, 2019 |
I liked this book a lot more than I expected to. It was quite a heartbreaking story all around. I loved Nettie (who was my favorite character) and I really enjoyed hearing about her trip to Africa. I thought it was interesting how the village held the roof plant as a sort of deity. I had a harder time getting through the other chapters because of the way that it was written. It was a good way to create a voice for the character but it was just not my style. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
I devoured this book. A very visceral, vivid read, quite difficult at times. Absolute highest recommend for any and all to read. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
This is a spectacular book, isn't it? As a white Australian reading this in 2016, I am so far removed from the world of the novel for it to be an anthropological text. Walker's literary skills are superb, leading the reader on despite the often disheartening subject matter. And I can't even explain the thrill that ran up my spine reading sister Nettie's letters about her intellectual awakening in Africa. A classic. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
Absolutely amazing. A triumph of love over suffering, a journey of a life time to discover oneself, nature, god, and why are we here. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Walker accomplishes a rare thing: She makes an epistolary novel work without veering into preciousness. Rather, Celie's full-bodied voice emerges, a moody and honest voice, in an inherently intimate literary form.

Without doubt, Alice Walker's latest novel is her most impressive. No mean accomplishment, since her previous books - which, in addition to several collections of poetry and two collections of short stories, include two novels ("The Third Life of Grange Copeland" and "Medridian") - have elicited almost unanimous praise for Miss Walker as a lavishly gifted writer

Walker, Aliceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neither this book
Nor I
Would have been
Written.
You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy.
Time moves slowly, but passes quickly.

Tells the story of two African-American sisters: Nettie, a missionary in Africa, and Celie, a child-wife living in the south, in the medium of their letters to each other and in Celie's case, the desperate letters she begins, "Dear God."
A woman's tale
on the politics of black
Georgia, 1930s, grit, faith
survival - told from the heart

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671727796, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, "The Color Purple" established Alice Walker as a major voice in modern fiction. Her unforgettable portrait of Celie and her friends, family, and lovers is rich with passion, pain, inspiration, and an indomitable love of life. Beautifully imagined and deeply compassionate, "The Color Purple" is a classic of American literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

Set in the deep American South, The color purple is the story of Celie, a young black girl born into extreme poverty and segregation. Raped repeatedly by the man she calls 'father', she is then given by him to a violent man. Later she meets Shug Avery, a glamorous singer, who gives her the courage to take charge of her life.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,486,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible