The Color Purple by Alice Walker

The Color Purple (original 1982; edition 2003)

by Alice Walker (Author)

Member:antoinettemarie
Title:The Color Purple
Authors:Alice Walker (Author)
Info:Mariner Books (2003), Edition: First Edition, 300 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Read in 2017, Black & Bookish, Favorites

The Color Purple by Alice Walker (1982)

1980s (42)
Read (46)

English (262)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (270)
Purple is the colour that Cellie chose when she had the means of earning money herself and no longer slave to any man. It signifies empowerment. Not only did Cellie become independent, but she also became friends with her husband Mister, which I find rather touching, though quite incredulous. ( )
  siok | Jul 21, 2019 |
Can we talk for a minute about how this is one of the most brilliant books I've ever read? Immediate love. ( )
  schufman | Jul 20, 2019 |
One of the 20th Century's greatest novels, great novel of any century. Walker seems to be influenced by Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn, except that the main character Celie is imprisoned physically by her abusive husband, and must travel in her mind and through letters of traveling sister who returns to Africa. Eventually, Celie eventually gets help and emerges as a confident person who starts a pants factory. So, the novel is both an African-American and Women's Liberation novel. Made in to a movie by Steven Spielberg. ( )
  atufft | Jul 4, 2019 |
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
For those who haven't read the book...There may be a spoiler or two...

When it came out in the 1980's, like most others, I watched it and fell in love with the movie.

It wasn't until last year that I picked up this book and attempted to read it. Again, this was a book I wasn't quite sure how I'd feel about it. It took me a bit to get into it because the beginning of the movie was always hard for me to deal with. But once I got past that part, and got further into the story, I really began to love it. And of course, I loved it more than the movie.

Of course, there were details in the book that wasn't in the movie. And it answered some questions I had...Like, what happened to the man Shug Avery married.

And what type of relationship Shug and Cellie actually had. And Cellies True feelings for her.

And I found out that Cellie & Mister actually became friends in the book. {Which they didn't show in the movie}.

I fell so in love with this book I didn't want it to end. I found myself not really even wanting to watch the movie any more because of it...lol...

But I still do love the movie....

Anyone who loved the movie, and maybe even love Alice Walker books but haven't read this one...It's very much worth reading. Or even if you don't like her books and haven't read this one...Its worth reading. I don't like Alice Walkers other books {I've tried reading them and couldn't get into them} but this one will always be on my top 10 favorite books I believe. ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
Walker accomplishes a rare thing: She makes an epistolary novel work without veering into preciousness. Rather, Celie's full-bodied voice emerges, a moody and honest voice, in an inherently intimate literary form.

Without doubt, Alice Walker's latest novel is her most impressive. No mean accomplishment, since her previous books - which, in addition to several collections of poetry and two collections of short stories, include two novels ("The Third Life of Grange Copeland" and "Medridian") - have elicited almost unanimous praise for Miss Walker as a lavishly gifted writer

Walker, Aliceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neither this book
Nor I
Would have been
Written.
You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy.
Time moves slowly, but passes quickly.

Tells the story of two African-American sisters: Nettie, a missionary in Africa, and Celie, a child-wife living in the south, in the medium of their letters to each other and in Celie's case, the desperate letters she begins, "Dear God."
A woman's tale
on the politics of black
Georgia, 1930s, grit, faith
survival - told from the heart

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671727796, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, "The Color Purple" established Alice Walker as a major voice in modern fiction. Her unforgettable portrait of Celie and her friends, family, and lovers is rich with passion, pain, inspiration, and an indomitable love of life. Beautifully imagined and deeply compassionate, "The Color Purple" is a classic of American literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

Set in the deep American South, The color purple is the story of Celie, a young black girl born into extreme poverty and segregation. Raped repeatedly by the man she calls 'father', she is then given by him to a violent man. Later she meets Shug Avery, a glamorous singer, who gives her the courage to take charge of her life.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,462,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible