Color Purple by Alice Walker

Color Purple (original 1982; edition 2003)

by Alice Walker

Member:townsendr
Title:Color Purple
Authors:Alice Walker
Info:Harcourt Brace Jovanovich (2003), Edition: Later Printing, Paperback

The Color Purple by Alice Walker (1982)

1980s (35)
Read (46)

English (223)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (230)
I tried to read The Color Purple years ago and abandoned it after ten pages or so, not because because the writing was in any way deficient, but just because the story begins with some brutally frank scenes of child sexual abuse, and I didn't think I could stomach it. I'm really glad I returned to the novel, though, and stuck through the difficult beginning. It's a lyrical, affirmative story of two sisters who learn to find beauty and love in their lives despite enduring very difficult circumstances. The voices are vivid (it's an epistolary novel), and the novel evokes a bygone era with grace and clarity. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
Re-read this book, after having read it for the first time when it first came out. The story is written in the form of letters, at first to God, then to the protagonist's sister Nettie. The vernacular language adds a lot to the tone. Good book, disturbing details, but overall a good read. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
The Color Purple by Alice Walker; (5+*)

I find The Color Purple to be as beautifully written today as it was when I read it for the first time upon it's release. Alice Walker was given a gift to put onto paper for the rest of the world to share with her.

"I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it."
(Shug to Celie)

"What I love best bout Shug is what she been through, I say. When you look in Shug's eyes you know she been where she been, seen what she seen, did what she did. And now she know."
(Celie to Mr.)

The Color Purple is a pure example of great and wonderful literature. Alice Walker proves the hardship of life for those less fortunate. The painful and hard things that Celie had to go through make you feel total compassion for the character.

One of the best qualities of a writer is being able to make the reader feel what the characters are feeling and in writing this book Alice Walker did just that.

I very highly recommend this book. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Nov 19, 2016 |
This book was written before I was born! Its one of those books that everyone ( well I thought everyone, until lots of people were like - 'never heard of it!')has heard of. People have seen the film. I cannot remember it so don't know how different it is.

The book is written by Celie through a series of letters to God and then to her sister Nettie.Celie lives a hard life, abused and impregnated by her stepfather at age 14 with her 1St child and again shortly afterwards with her second child. The children are taken away from her and she doesn't know where they are taken or if they are killed. She's then given away for marriage to a man who doesn't love or want her. He wants her younger sister Nettie. Nettie runs away and Celie doesn't know if shes alive or not. She lives a life of abuse with this man, never very happy. She then meets Shug Avery, a woman who she falls in love with and who loves her. But things change for Celie again. Will she ever be happy?

I went on a journey with Celie. Her life is one I could never imagine. I found myself sympathising with her hoping things would get better, hoping her children were alive and would meet her, hoping Nettie would return, wishing her happiness and joy with Shug. It was exhausting. But I'm glad I read it, glad I went on the journey and happy with the way it turned out. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Oct 31, 2016 |
4 stars ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Walker accomplishes a rare thing: She makes an epistolary novel work without veering into preciousness. Rather, Celie's full-bodied voice emerges, a moody and honest voice, in an inherently intimate literary form.

Without doubt, Alice Walker's latest novel is her most impressive. No mean accomplishment, since her previous books - which, in addition to several collections of poetry and two collections of short stories, include two novels ("The Third Life of Grange Copeland" and "Medridian") - have elicited almost unanimous praise for Miss Walker as a lavishly gifted writer

Walker, Aliceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neither this book
Nor I
Would have been
Written.
You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy.

Tells the story of two African-American sisters: Nettie, a missionary in Africa, and Celie, a child-wife living in the south, in the medium of their letters to each other and in Celie's case, the desperate letters she begins, "Dear God."
A woman's tale
on the politics of black
Georgia, 1930s, grit, faith
survival - told from the heart

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671727796, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, "The Color Purple" established Alice Walker as a major voice in modern fiction. Her unforgettable portrait of Celie and her friends, family, and lovers is rich with passion, pain, inspiration, and an indomitable love of life. Beautifully imagined and deeply compassionate, "The Color Purple" is a classic of American literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

Set in the deep American South, The color purple is the story of Celie, a young black girl born into extreme poverty and segregation. Raped repeatedly by the man she calls 'father', she is then given by him to a violent man. Later she meets Shug Avery, a glamorous singer, who gives her the courage to take charge of her life.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,625,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible