The Color Purple by Alice Walker

The Color Purple (original 1982; edition 2003)

by Alice Walker

Member:booketta
Title:The Color Purple
Authors:Alice Walker
Info:Harcourt (2003), Edition: Later Printing, Paperback
Collections:To read

The Color Purple by Alice Walker (1982)

Recently added byApril44, Antwhite9, private library, bjoelle5, LaBla, nik6425, Laurochka, cross2styx, SamCanesi
Legacy LibrariesThomas C. Dent
1980s (8)
Read (45)

English (202)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (209)
I have just had the pleasure of reading The Color Purple by Alice Walker for the second time. I first read it in high school and have found that it has a deeper meaning to me now, as an adult woman. The story reads to be more about the struggle of women in a time of deep oppression than I remember, although it largely about the oppression from prejudice. The novel speaks loudly to my heart and has given me a realistic look at what it meant to be a black woman during a time when anything other than submission could mean the difference between life and death.
Celie tells her story with amazing honesty, showing every thought and feeling in a way that makes her one of the most real characters that I have met. In addition to Celie, there are numerous woman with different pasts that have shaped them into the women who they are. Nettie, Celie’s sister, is the only person that Celie has left who loves her and her disappearance leaves Celie alone, in a cruel and loveless world. Selia, a woman who will cower to no one and suffers some horrible consequences for speaking her mind. Shug is a woman who lives a life that is unacceptable to most of society. Shug is a harsh talking and mean-spirited woman who is comes into Celie’s life in an unexpected way and the relationship between the two women becomes precious and life saving for them both.
The Color Purple is a thought-provoking saga of generations of abuse, the effects, a realistic look at the effects of prejudices, healing, love in the most unlikely places, self discovery and redemption and the one book that I have read that I believe should not be missed by a single reader. If you have watched the movie, you still need to read this book. The relationship that is built between the characters and the reader is like no other. ( )
  StephLaymon | Feb 3, 2016 |
I had signed up for a reading challenge for which I was required to read a Pulitzer Prize winning book. That’s when I came across this book. You see, Purple is my favorite color and as such, I was instantly attracted to the book. I wondered how the book would live up to the title, but after completing the book, I can say that the book has aptly been named “The Color Purple”.

The book is written in epistolary format and in the deep South American dialect, and that makes it all the more interesting. Our protagonist, Celie, starts by writing letters to god, and then halfway through the book she starts addressing those letters to her sister, Nettie. You can see how the character transforms throughout the book and how in doing so, her relationship changes with those around her. It reminds me of the saying “you are only treated the way you allow yourself to be treated”.

Once I started reading it, I just couldn’t put it down. It’s a gem of a book. The story warms and chills your heart at the same time. I cannot sing enough praises for this book because no matter what I say, it wouldn’t be able to put it in words. It’s like you see a beautiful sunset and can’t describe the beauty. It can only be experienced.

To sum up the story up in one word – Beautiful.

Would I read it again? Definitely yes! ( )
  ananyabha | Jan 29, 2016 |
Nobody warned me about the amount of crying I would do while reading this book - sad crying, happy crying, this book just really played on my heartstrings! On the one hand, it was awkward since I brought it as my airplane read for a business trip, but on the other hand I'm glad I had such an immersive, addictive book to take my mind off airport terminals and delays. The one-line summary would be something like "epistolary novel about a poor black woman who is basically traded off into marriage by her father to a terrible guy but who survives through her friendships/romantic relationships with the women in her life" but it really is so hard to capture exactly what it was that made this book so enthralling; the writing was excellent, the characters were excellent and all interesting and easy to relate to even as you watched them hurt each other...it was just one of those books that flew past in a couple of hours but also is still sitting with me mentally/emotionally. It's rare for a book to be so incredible in terms of depth and complexity yet also so incredibly easy to keep reading from page one, almost no ramp-up required before I was totally immersed and invested. ( )
1 vote okrysmastree | Jan 24, 2016 |
This is a book I’ve always wanted to read and actually had time to sit down with recently. It is on many Summer Reading lists, it is a Pulitzer Prize Winner, I love the movie, but it is also a frequently Banned Book. This is a mature an emotional story of a young girl, Celie. The story is told very successfully in letters to God from Celie. The letters are written with what education Celie has, which isn’t much. We meet all her family members and walk alongside her during her struggles. The end of the story gets a little long-winded, but the story is well worth the powerful ending.

The book was banned because of the directness with which it covers rape, sex, abuse, racial issues, gender roles, polygamy, glbt, and religion. However, this is also a story about love, friendship, forgiveness, and gaining one’s own independence. There is no doubt this is a deeply moving read.
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |

clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
Walker accomplishes a rare thing: She makes an epistolary novel work without veering into preciousness. Rather, Celie's full-bodied voice emerges, a moody and honest voice, in an inherently intimate literary form.

Without doubt, Alice Walker's latest novel is her most impressive. No mean accomplishment, since her previous books - which, in addition to several collections of poetry and two collections of short stories, include two novels ("The Third Life of Grange Copeland" and "Medridian") - have elicited almost unanimous praise for Miss Walker as a lavishly gifted writer

Walker, Aliceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neither this book
Nor I
Would have been
Written.
You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy.

Tells the story of two African-American sisters: Nettie, a missionary in Africa, and Celie, a child-wife living in the south, in the medium of their letters to each other and in Celie's case, the desperate letters she begins, "Dear God."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671727796, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, "The Color Purple" established Alice Walker as a major voice in modern fiction. Her unforgettable portrait of Celie and her friends, family, and lovers is rich with passion, pain, inspiration, and an indomitable love of life. Beautifully imagined and deeply compassionate, "The Color Purple" is a classic of American literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

Set in the deep American South, The color purple is the story of Celie, a young black girl born into extreme poverty and segregation. Raped repeatedly by the man she calls 'father', she is then given by him to a violent man. Later she meets Shug Avery, a glamorous singer, who gives her the courage to take charge of her life.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,078,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible