The Color Purple by Alice Walker

The Color Purple (original 1982; edition 2006)

by Alice Walker

Member:Book-Thief
Title:The Color Purple
Authors:Alice Walker
Info:Mariner Books (2006), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Already Read

The Color Purple by Alice Walker (1982)

1980s (26)
Read (46)

English (215)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (222)
I've read this book dozens of times and always find a new insight into myself or into human nature that I didn't see before. Walker's deceptively simple prose paints an elaborate physical and emotional landscape. I've had people tell me they couldn't finish it because it was "too depressing". If they would only finish! It is amazing to see Celie finally triumph and find love and spiritual peace. Truly a masterpiece. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
I read this book in high school. It definitely made an impression on me, helping me realize many things about poverty, women and relationships. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Hands down! My favorite story. It is truly a story about love! ( )
  caseybp | Apr 7, 2016 |
A wonderful book. This was the second time I read it and after a space of some fifteen years, I can now say I understood the themes much more deeply than I did before.
I really loved the ending too. ( )
  AnnGirdharry | Mar 30, 2016 |
More intense, yet less engaging than expected. ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 29, 2016 |
Walker accomplishes a rare thing: She makes an epistolary novel work without veering into preciousness. Rather, Celie's full-bodied voice emerges, a moody and honest voice, in an inherently intimate literary form.

Without doubt, Alice Walker's latest novel is her most impressive. No mean accomplishment, since her previous books - which, in addition to several collections of poetry and two collections of short stories, include two novels ("The Third Life of Grange Copeland" and "Medridian") - have elicited almost unanimous praise for Miss Walker as a lavishly gifted writer

Walker, Aliceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neither this book
Nor I
Would have been
Written.
You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy.

Tells the story of two African-American sisters: Nettie, a missionary in Africa, and Celie, a child-wife living in the south, in the medium of their letters to each other and in Celie's case, the desperate letters she begins, "Dear God."
A woman's tale
on the politics of black
Georgia, 1930s, grit, faith
survival - told from the heart

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671727796, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, "The Color Purple" established Alice Walker as a major voice in modern fiction. Her unforgettable portrait of Celie and her friends, family, and lovers is rich with passion, pain, inspiration, and an indomitable love of life. Beautifully imagined and deeply compassionate, "The Color Purple" is a classic of American literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

Set in the deep American South, The color purple is the story of Celie, a young black girl born into extreme poverty and segregation. Raped repeatedly by the man she calls 'father', she is then given by him to a violent man. Later she meets Shug Avery, a glamorous singer, who gives her the courage to take charge of her life.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible