The Color Purple by Alice Walker

The Color Purple (original 1982; edition 1989)

by Alice Walker

Member:sskinsey
Title:The Color Purple
Authors:Alice Walker
Info:Pocket (1989), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Book Club

The Color Purple by Alice Walker (1982)

1980s (15)
Read (46)

English (217)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (224)
Fourteen-year-old Celie is raped by her stepfather and by the time she is married off has given birth to two children who have been taken away from her. Her new marriage does not better her situation, she is just there to serve his needs and take care of the children of his first wife. Celie gets by through writing letters to God. In turn, her younger sister who is taken in by missionaries, ends up in Africa and writes to Celie, but Celie doesn't see those letters for years as her husband hides them. Visiting them often is 'Shug Avery', her husbands mistress and only love. As the two get to know each other, Shug becomes Celie's friend, and then her lover. Celie finds out how her real father died, being lynched by a white mob jealous of his business success. As Celie rises above the abuse and prejudice she has suffered she finds her voice, a new career, self-esteem, and finally, reclaims her sister and her children. Wonderfully told, I can see how this book was ground breaking. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | May 20, 2016 |
Well , by the time i had reached the end my english was a mess :)
Too much of disturbing events, i cant even dream this could happen. It was hard for me to read some things, the thoughts and relationships were complex ... ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
I've read this book dozens of times and always find a new insight into myself or into human nature that I didn't see before. Walker's deceptively simple prose paints an elaborate physical and emotional landscape. I've had people tell me they couldn't finish it because it was "too depressing". If they would only finish! It is amazing to see Celie finally triumph and find love and spiritual peace. Truly a masterpiece. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
I read this book in high school. It definitely made an impression on me, helping me realize many things about poverty, women and relationships. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Hands down! My favorite story. It is truly a story about love! ( )
  caseybp | Apr 7, 2016 |
Walker accomplishes a rare thing: She makes an epistolary novel work without veering into preciousness. Rather, Celie's full-bodied voice emerges, a moody and honest voice, in an inherently intimate literary form.

Without doubt, Alice Walker's latest novel is her most impressive. No mean accomplishment, since her previous books - which, in addition to several collections of poetry and two collections of short stories, include two novels ("The Third Life of Grange Copeland" and "Medridian") - have elicited almost unanimous praise for Miss Walker as a lavishly gifted writer

Walker, Aliceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neither this book
Nor I
Would have been
Written.
You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy.

Tells the story of two African-American sisters: Nettie, a missionary in Africa, and Celie, a child-wife living in the south, in the medium of their letters to each other and in Celie's case, the desperate letters she begins, "Dear God."
A woman's tale
on the politics of black
Georgia, 1930s, grit, faith
survival - told from the heart

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671727796, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, "The Color Purple" established Alice Walker as a major voice in modern fiction. Her unforgettable portrait of Celie and her friends, family, and lovers is rich with passion, pain, inspiration, and an indomitable love of life. Beautifully imagined and deeply compassionate, "The Color Purple" is a classic of American literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

Set in the deep American South, The color purple is the story of Celie, a young black girl born into extreme poverty and segregation. Raped repeatedly by the man she calls 'father', she is then given by him to a violent man. Later she meets Shug Avery, a glamorous singer, who gives her the courage to take charge of her life.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,893,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible