The Color Purple by Alice Walker

The Color Purple (original 1982; edition 1989)

by Alice Walker

11,990193216 (4.11)354
Member:sskinsey
Title:The Color Purple
Authors:Alice Walker
Info:Pocket (1989), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Book Club

The Color Purple by Alice Walker (1982)

1980s (13)
Read (45)

English (186)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (193)
A beautiful book written by a beautiful woman. ( )
  HelenBaker | Mar 19, 2015 |
I felt the same awe at rereading this wonderful book as I did when I first read it so many years ago. The same social issues are still prevalent today: child and domestic abuse, racial discrimination, women's struggle for equality, and homosexuality. It is a story of love overcoming the misery and ignorance existing in our world. I closed the book with a heavy heart knowing we have such a long way to go before becoming a just society, yet, at the same time, thanking Alice Walker for showing us that it is through the love, the goodness ,and the inner strength of characters like Celie that we will one day come of age. ( )
  Murielle_Cyr | Feb 28, 2015 |
I can't believe I haven't read this book until now. I loved everything about it, especially the way it was written in the style of a journal. Using the African American southern dialect made it even more interesting. It's hard to imagine why this book could be banned or even considered controversial. ( )
  Mimiyoyo | Feb 23, 2015 |
Read a while ago when the movie came out. I remember that it made me cry. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 16, 2015 |
It's hard to know where to start with this review! This book has been sitting on my shelves for at least two years. It was a hand-me-down from my grandmother, and after reading it I'm very impressed by her taste! I always wanted to read 'The Color Purple', but felt like I would never get around to it, and I'm very glad that I eventually did.

'The Color Purple' is a very moving story that follows the lives of black women from the American South. The breadth of issues this book explores is tremendous, from abuse to sexuality to the sense of unwantedness some of the characters feel when they go to Africa as missionaries and recall that they were sold into slavery by their ancestors. It's fascinating to see how the characters deal with these issues, and 'The Color Purple' creates some incredibly well-developed female characters (something which will always win me over).

Furthermore, Walker is unapologetic in her discussion of these issues, and 'The Color Purple' is an incredibly honest account of the lives of women belonging to ethnic and social minorities. This sort of account is very important in our society, when so often the voices of minorities are silenced.

The only criticism I really have, and this might just be my own ignorance, is that some of the attitudes that characters within the book have seem slightly anachronistic. I can't imagine America in the early-mid 20th century being particularly accepting of the relationship between Celie and Shug, for example. But like I say, I wouldn't be surprised if it were the case that I'm just misinformed about the period.

All in all, this is a great book, the best I've read in 2015 so far, and I believe that everyone could gain something from reading it. ( )
  Jane.Elinor | Jan 31, 2015 |
Walker accomplishes a rare thing: She makes an epistolary novel work without veering into preciousness. Rather, Celie's full-bodied voice emerges, a moody and honest voice, in an inherently intimate literary form.

Without doubt, Alice Walker's latest novel is her most impressive. No mean accomplishment, since her previous books - which, in addition to several collections of poetry and two collections of short stories, include two novels ("The Third Life of Grange Copeland" and "Medridian") - have elicited almost unanimous praise for Miss Walker as a lavishly gifted writer

Walker, Aliceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neither this book
Nor I
Would have been
Written.
You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy.

Tells the story of two African-American sisters: Nettie, a missionary in Africa, and Celie, a child-wife living in the south, in the medium of their letters to each other and in Celie's case, the desperate letters she begins, "Dear God."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671727796, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, "The Color Purple" established Alice Walker as a major voice in modern fiction. Her unforgettable portrait of Celie and her friends, family, and lovers is rich with passion, pain, inspiration, and an indomitable love of life. Beautifully imagined and deeply compassionate, "The Color Purple" is a classic of American literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:45 -0400)

Set in the deep American South, The color purple is the story of Celie, a young black girl born into extreme poverty and segregation. Raped repeatedly by the man she calls 'father', she is then given by him to a violent man. Later she meets Shug Avery, a glamorous singer, who gives her the courage to take charge of her life.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,141,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible