The Color Purple by Alice Walker

The Color Purple (original 1982; edition 1989)

by Alice Walker

Member:sskinsey
Title:The Color Purple
Authors:Alice Walker
Info:Pocket (1989), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Book Club

The Color Purple by Alice Walker (1982)

Recently added byKeelz09, private library, ECC_Maine, Juliasb, sunnykim, meryt, LucasDosSantos, aharey, rmdmphilosopher, shadowblade92
Legacy LibrariesThomas C. Dent
1980s (35)
Read (46)

English (222)  Swedish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  English (229)
Re-read this book, after having read it for the first time when it first came out. The story is written in the form of letters, at first to God, then to the protagonist's sister Nettie. The vernacular language adds a lot to the tone. Good book, disturbing details, but overall a good read. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
The Color Purple by Alice Walker; (5+*)

I find The Color Purple to be as beautifully written today as it was when I read it for the first time upon it's release. Alice Walker was given a gift to put onto paper for the rest of the world to share with her.

"I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it."
(Shug to Celie)

"What I love best bout Shug is what she been through, I say. When you look in Shug's eyes you know she been where she been, seen what she seen, did what she did. And now she know."
(Celie to Mr.)

The Color Purple is a pure example of great and wonderful literature. Alice Walker proves the hardship of life for those less fortunate. The painful and hard things that Celie had to go through make you feel total compassion for the character.

One of the best qualities of a writer is being able to make the reader feel what the characters are feeling and in writing this book Alice Walker did just that.

I very highly recommend this book. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Nov 19, 2016 |
4 stars ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I give this classic my highest recommendation. I started this book at bedtime, and did not put it down until I turned the last page. I actually missed work to catch up on the missed night of sleep. The format is a series of letters that convinces the reader that you can read one more, and one more, and one more after that. Set in the American South of the 1930's, it is a glance into the lives of black women finding their power under extreme oppression. ( )
  FoxTribeMama | Sep 21, 2016 |
For the first 100 pages, I thought the author's voice was good, I thought the plot was interesting, I thought it was well-written, but I just wasn't that invested. I can understand why I lot of people would put it down, maybe because the vernacular is a little tricky (audiobooks might work better!) or because there's a serious lack of punctuation, but, for me, it was something else.

Celie's struggle starts out like a lot of black women's struggles in her time. It all seems fairly hopeless, and it was difficult to read because I was sure that it wasn't going to get better - that Celie was going to be one of the many women of her time who was worn down by the stress of life, who's spirit would be broken.

And then I read to the 104th page. And my god. I was into it. I couldn't put it down. As a woman, as a feminist, and as a queer lady, this book spoke to me on so many levels.

Alice Walker, you have produced something of a masterpiece. I love Celie, I love her strength, I love her vulnerability, I love her compassion, her capacity for growth, for resilience, for love, for forgiveness.

If you are a feminist, you should read this book. This book writes relationships with women the likes of which I haven't ever really read before. These women love and support each other through everything. I have learnt so much from this book. This book is powerful.

This book deserves so much more than a Pulitzer Prize.

Thank you, Alice Walker, for adding your voice to the chorus of black women's voices. You have taught me so much. We won't always agree, but I will recommend this book to anyone I meet. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Walker accomplishes a rare thing: She makes an epistolary novel work without veering into preciousness. Rather, Celie's full-bodied voice emerges, a moody and honest voice, in an inherently intimate literary form.

Without doubt, Alice Walker's latest novel is her most impressive. No mean accomplishment, since her previous books - which, in addition to several collections of poetry and two collections of short stories, include two novels ("The Third Life of Grange Copeland" and "Medridian") - have elicited almost unanimous praise for Miss Walker as a lavishly gifted writer

Walker, Aliceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neither this book
Nor I
Would have been
Written.
You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy.

Tells the story of two African-American sisters: Nettie, a missionary in Africa, and Celie, a child-wife living in the south, in the medium of their letters to each other and in Celie's case, the desperate letters she begins, "Dear God."
A woman's tale
on the politics of black
Georgia, 1930s, grit, faith
survival - told from the heart

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671727796, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, "The Color Purple" established Alice Walker as a major voice in modern fiction. Her unforgettable portrait of Celie and her friends, family, and lovers is rich with passion, pain, inspiration, and an indomitable love of life. Beautifully imagined and deeply compassionate, "The Color Purple" is a classic of American literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

Set in the deep American South, The color purple is the story of Celie, a young black girl born into extreme poverty and segregation. Raped repeatedly by the man she calls 'father', she is then given by him to a violent man. Later she meets Shug Avery, a glamorous singer, who gives her the courage to take charge of her life.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,639,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible