Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin…

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (edition 2010)

by Alvin Schwartz, Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Title:Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Authors:Alvin Schwartz
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2010), Edition: Ill, Hardcover, 128 pages
Tags:non-fiction, folk lore, scary, Halloween, campfires, pj, er

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz

Para quem viu O Exorcista com 8 anos e se encantou pelo Freddy Krueger aos 9, está tarde para estes contos, mas são simpáticos e tem um ou outro mais tensinho. Carimbado para os pequenos guris que curtem um apavoramento. ( )
  MarthaNunes | Nov 2, 2015 |
This was a favorite book of mine as a child and it was fun to revisit as an adult. I like this book for two reasons. First, Alvin Shwartz uses descriptive language that really spooks the audience, especially if it is being read out loud. At the end of many of his stories, he will include parts in italics that are supposed to be acted out in order to scare the audience. For example, the reader is instructed to whisper a passage, pause, then scream "BOO!" at the end of one of the ghost stories. The second thing I love about this book is the illustrations. The pictures gave me nightmares as a child and still induce the same fear in me today. The drawings are creepy and realistic. For example, there is a picture of a dead woman who looks like she just came out of the ground. Her skin is falling off and her long and dark hair is in her face. Her eyes are ghoulish as they stare into the reader's eyes. I recommend this book to all elementary school grade levels, teens, and even adults. This book is a compilation of stories, but the main point of all of them is to scare the reader, which I would say it is effective in doing. ( )
  jwrigh28 | Oct 8, 2015 |
This book is an excellent accumulation of folktale's from all over the globe, as well a great introduction to the horror genre for young readers, albeit, an intense one. The original illustrations by Stephen Gammell are legitimately terrifying. I recall reading the series growing up, and I have yet forget some of the tales (in juxtaposition with the illustrations). ( )
  candyceutter | Oct 7, 2015 |
"Growing up, my parents were always really liberal concerning watching horror movies, reading scary tales. Actually, I remember they would tell me horror stories themselves, before bad, if I asked them to. So I'm definitely not one that gets scared easily. To be honest, nowadays very few movies or books make me tingle with fear. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, surprisingly, did. I was not expecting to be frightened by such an old book aimed for children.

A huge part of such effect doesn't come from the stories themselves, to be honest, but from the pictures. Man, some of the stories were actually not scary at all, until I looked at the creepy picture at the corner of the page. Here are some examples:

Another cool feature of the book was the author ability to communicate with the audience and make the tales interactive. More often than not Schwartz would interfere and give some tips as to how the reader could scare his own audience - while reading the stories for friends, for example - with more effectiveness. For instance:
His door opened. Shaking with fear, he listened as the footsteps slowly moved through the dark toward his bed. Then they stopped.
""Where is my to-o-o-o-o-e""? the voice groaned.
(At this point, pause. Then jump at the person next to you and shout: ""YOU'VE GOT IT!""

Overall, it was a fun quick read. Nothing that special to deserve 4 or 5 stars, in my opinion, but scary enough for a cold winter night. Props to the illustrator for making the stories shine even more with his creepy pictures." ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Read the full review on JohnnyCompton.com

The original editions of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series are a great gateway into horror for younger readers who can stomach Stephen Gammell's infamous illustrations. Even for older readers, they can be a source of terrific nostalgia (for those of us who read these books while growing up), a nice source of information on ghost stories and legends (the bibliography in back is a bit imperfect, but it's nonetheless informative), and a nice little read in its own right. No matter how old you are, you can appreciate Gammell's artwork as unique, darkly beautiful, legendary and terrifying. A great collection to have in any horror reader's library. ( )
  jcompton | Sep 3, 2014 |

Schwartz, Alvinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

This spooky addition to Alvin Schwartz's popular books on American folklore is filled with tales of eerie horror and dark revenge that will make you jump with fright.

There is a story here for everyone -- skeletons with torn and tangled flesh who roam the earth; a ghost who takes revenge on her murderer; and a haunted house where every night a bloody head falls down the chimney.

Stephen Gammell's splendidly creepy drawings perfectly capture the mood of more than two dozen scary stories -- and even scary songs -- all just right for reading alone or for telling aloud in the dark.

If You Dare!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:28 -0400)

Stories of ghosts and witches, "jump" stories, scary songs, and modern-day scary stories.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,848,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible