Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin…

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (edition 2010)

by Alvin Schwartz, Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Title:Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Authors:Alvin Schwartz
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2010), Edition: Ill, Hardcover, 128 pages
Tags:non-fiction, folk lore, scary, Halloween, campfires, pj, er

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz

An enchanting collection for children who were seeking chills when I grew up. The stories are ridiculously short, but since so are kid's attention spans, this worked for them. The short length works as a detriment to the stories when it comes to adult focus though. I think the first section of the book shone the brightest with stories. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
After hearing about Guillermo del Toro picking up this series for a movie, and realizing that here is yet another book that everyone around me seems to have read except for me (this seems to be the year for that!), I decided to pick up a used copy at my local Indie the other day. A goofy little collection of "horror" stories (most of which seem to have been collected from American folklore), I can't say as I would have found these stories all that scary when I was a kid. However, given the right circumstances, I can imagine that these would be fun to read for the right age group. I probably won't be on the lookout for the subsequent two volumes. ( )
  tapestry100 | Feb 5, 2016 |
I never got to read any books in this series, so I'm doing so now. Overall a very good book. Had be creeped out at parts. I wish I could have seen the old illustrations and I will have to track them down, but still worth the read, for sure. Perfect for a cold, windy night. 4.5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jan 2, 2016 |
Para quem viu O Exorcista com 8 anos e se encantou pelo Freddy Krueger aos 9, está tarde para estes contos, mas são simpáticos e tem um ou outro mais tensinho. Carimbado para os pequenos guris que curtem um apavoramento. ( )
  MarthaNunes | Nov 2, 2015 |
This was a favorite book of mine as a child and it was fun to revisit as an adult. I like this book for two reasons. First, Alvin Shwartz uses descriptive language that really spooks the audience, especially if it is being read out loud. At the end of many of his stories, he will include parts in italics that are supposed to be acted out in order to scare the audience. For example, the reader is instructed to whisper a passage, pause, then scream "BOO!" at the end of one of the ghost stories. The second thing I love about this book is the illustrations. The pictures gave me nightmares as a child and still induce the same fear in me today. The drawings are creepy and realistic. For example, there is a picture of a dead woman who looks like she just came out of the ground. Her skin is falling off and her long and dark hair is in her face. Her eyes are ghoulish as they stare into the reader's eyes. I recommend this book to all elementary school grade levels, teens, and even adults. This book is a compilation of stories, but the main point of all of them is to scare the reader, which I would say it is effective in doing. ( )
  jwrigh28 | Oct 8, 2015 |

Schwartz, Alvinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This spooky addition to Alvin Schwartz's popular books on American folklore is filled with tales of eerie horror and dark revenge that will make you jump with fright.

There is a story here for everyone -- skeletons with torn and tangled flesh who roam the earth; a ghost who takes revenge on her murderer; and a haunted house where every night a bloody head falls down the chimney.

Stephen Gammell's splendidly creepy drawings perfectly capture the mood of more than two dozen scary stories -- and even scary songs -- all just right for reading alone or for telling aloud in the dark.

If You Dare!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:28 -0400)

Stories of ghosts and witches, "jump" stories, scary songs, and modern-day scary stories.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,756,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible