Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin…

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (edition 2010)

by Alvin Schwartz, Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Member:prkcs
Title:Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Authors:Alvin Schwartz
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2010), Edition: Ill, Hardcover, 128 pages
Tags:non-fiction, folk lore, scary, Halloween, campfires, pj, er

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz

When I was elementary school we used to read this in the stacks and freak ourselves out. Definitely worth it! I was a bit bummed when they updated the art, as that was a huge part of the appeal.
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
It scared me when I was a kid, but now it invokes a weird feeling of nostalgic camaraderie with other people of my age group. The illustrator really knew their stuff. I guess they re-published it, a new edition with less scary illustrations. The stories are good, anyway. ( )
  heart77 | Dec 13, 2016 |
An enchanting collection for children who were seeking chills when I grew up. The stories are ridiculously short, but since so are kid's attention spans, this worked for them. The short length works as a detriment to the stories when it comes to adult focus though. I think the first section of the book shone the brightest with stories. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
After hearing about Guillermo del Toro picking up this series for a movie, and realizing that here is yet another book that everyone around me seems to have read except for me (this seems to be the year for that!), I decided to pick up a used copy at my local Indie the other day. A goofy little collection of "horror" stories (most of which seem to have been collected from American folklore), I can't say as I would have found these stories all that scary when I was a kid. However, given the right circumstances, I can imagine that these would be fun to read for the right age group. I probably won't be on the lookout for the subsequent two volumes. ( )
  tapestry100 | Feb 5, 2016 |
I never got to read any books in this series, so I'm doing so now. Overall a very good book. Had be creeped out at parts. I wish I could have seen the old illustrations and I will have to track them down, but still worth the read, for sure. Perfect for a cold, windy night. 4.5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jan 2, 2016 |

Schwartz, Alvinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This spooky addition to Alvin Schwartz's popular books on American folklore is filled with tales of eerie horror and dark revenge that will make you jump with fright.

There is a story here for everyone -- skeletons with torn and tangled flesh who roam the earth; a ghost who takes revenge on her murderer; and a haunted house where every night a bloody head falls down the chimney.

Stephen Gammell's splendidly creepy drawings perfectly capture the mood of more than two dozen scary stories -- and even scary songs -- all just right for reading alone or for telling aloud in the dark.

If You Dare!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:28 -0400)

Stories of ghosts and witches, "jump" stories, scary songs, and modern-day scary stories.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,429,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible