The Haunted Looking Glass: Ghost Stories…

The Haunted Looking Glass: Ghost Stories Chosen by Edward Gorey

by Edward Gorey (Editor & illustrator)

Other authors: Algernon Blackwood (Contributor), Wilkie Collins (Contributor), Charles Dickens (Contributor), L. P. Hartley (Contributor), W. F. Harvey (Contributor)7 more, Tom Hood (Contributor), W. W. Jacobs (Contributor), M. R. James (Contributor), R. H. Malden (Contributor), E. Nesbit (Contributor), Robert Louis Stevenson (Contributor), Bram Stoker (Contributor)

the thirteenth tree, the body-snatcher, casting the runes
  adriennefriend | Nov 3, 2014 |
Some of these stories were better than others (ahem, The Empty House) but I knew Edward Gorey and the Victorians (the name of my future band) wouldn't let me down. The Victorians write the best ghost stories; they truly excel at 1) setting an atmosphere, and 2) conveying a creepy or scary story with minimal bloodshed. It's all very tastefully done.

My favorites were Casting the Runes and, surprisingly, given how much I detest Dracula, The Judge's House. Who knew Bram Stoker didn't always suck? Wow. No pun intended. ( )
  amy_marie26 | Oct 23, 2013 |
Z LOVED this collection of Victorian era tales. Most were spooky and suspenseful without being gory . . . a perfect read-aloud for a Poe/Gorey/Gaiman-loving kid or adult. Bonus to read E. Nesbitt do scary - same with R.L. Stevenson. ( )
  beckydj | Aug 29, 2013 |
I have only myself to blame for buying this collection yesterday after seeing its lovely Edward Gorey cover on display at my favorite bookstore, because I know perfectly well that ghost stories don't do anything for me. And indeed, they didn't, despite the equally lovely Edward Gorey illustrations that act as frontispieces for each story and the illustrious authors who include Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, Bram Stoker and, more surprisingly (to me, anyway), L.P. Hartley. Some were ingenious, most were well written, nearly all were utterly predictable -- well, as I said, I have only myself to blame.
  rebeccanyc | Dec 25, 2010 |
This fine collection of "ghost stories" bears the stamp of the inimitable Edward Gorey, who both edited it and illustrated it. The Haunted Looking Glass contains 12 classic stories, with some by masters of the genre. Two of my all - time favorites are the haunting tale The Monkey's Paw (by W.W. Jacobs) and the equally chilling August Heat (by W.F. Harvey); another superb selection is Bram Stoker's The Judge's House. Others include Robert Louis Stevenson's The Body-Snatcher, Wilkie Collins' The Dream Woman, and Charles Dickens' The Signalman. The remaining stories include The Empty House (by Algernon Blackwood), The Visitor From Down Under (L.P. Hartley), The Thirteenth Tree (R.H. Malden), Man-Size in Marble (E. Nesbit), The Shadow of a Shade (Tom Hood), and Casting the Runes (by M.R. James).

A pen- and ink illustration by Edward Gorey introduces each ghostly tale, managing to capture the mood and content of each. Indeed, having read this edition years ago, I found I remembered his powerful illustrations better than some of the stories. Readers interested in classic tales of the genre by some of the masters of short fiction will appreciate this volume immensely. ( )
5 vote danielx | Nov 13, 2010 |

Malden, R. H.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nesbit, E.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, Robert LouisContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stoker, BramContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Certain houses, like certain persons, manage somehow to proclaim at once their character for evil. -- From "The Empty House" by Algernon Blackwood

Contents:
The empty house / Algernon Blackwood -- August heat / W.F. Harvey -- The signalman / Charles Dickens -- A visitor from Down Under / L.P. Hartley -- The thirteenth tree / R.H. Malden -- The body-snatcher / Robert Louis Stevenson -- Man-size in marble / E. Nesbit -- The judge’s house / Bram Stoker -- The shadow of a shade / Tom Hood -- The monkey’s paw / W.W. Jacobs -- The dream woman / Wilkie Collins -- Casting the runes / M.R. James.

The Haunted Looking Glass is the late Edward Gorey's selection of his favourite tales of ghosts, ghouls, and grisly goings-on. Included are stories by Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, M.R. James, W.W. Jacobs, and L.P. Hartley, among other masters of the fine art of making the flesh creep, all accompanied by Gorey's inimitable illustrations. (NYRB blurb)

A collection of twelve ghost stories by various authors.

Legacy Library: Edward Gorey

Edward Gorey has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Edward Gorey's legacy profile.

See Edward Gorey's author page.

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,200,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible