Young Pocahontas: Indian Princess…

Young Pocahontas: Indian Princess (First-Start Biography) (edition 2006)

by Anne Benjamin

Member:splacko22
Title:Young Pocahontas: Indian Princess (First-Start Biography)
Authors:Anne Benjamin
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2006), Paperback

Young Pocahontas: Indian Princess by Anne Benjamin

Summary:
This is the story of Pocahontas. The story includes life before the English came. A life without fear and with no cares for the child. The Native Americans capture a settler by the name of John Smith and Pocahontas saves his life by preventing him from being killed by her father. She continued her friendship with John Smith and visited his colony. She brought food until Captain Smith left the colony. She was kidnapped and taken to the colony. She married John Rolfe, had a child, and then went with Rolfe to England. Before returning to America, Pocahontas died at 21.

Personal Reaction:
I was excited to read a book that did not match the Disney version of the story. I also liked the fact that this book included life before the settlers came to America. Sometimes I feel like we forget that that part of history existed, simply because we were not here yet.

Classroom extension ideas:
1) In my classroom, we would use the book by looking at the modern day location of Jamestown. We would compare the locations and find out what it looks like now compared to how it looked when Pocahontas was growing up.

2) Another way I would use this in my classroom is that we would talk about how each of us would feel if this happened to us. Then I would have them journal about what they thought and how they would have responded. Would they have helped the settlers?
  yourfavhannah | Oct 28, 2014 |
Summary: THis book was written about Pocahontas' life. It tells about her history, her childhood, and her adult life. IT tells about her meeting John Smith and how she saved him and then it tells of her meeting John Rolf and how they were married and she traveled to Englan were she died.

Personal Response: I enjoyed this book. It is a good biography of Pocahontas' life but in a way that children can get excited about.

Classroom Extension Ideas: I could have the students watch the Pocahontas movies and compare and constrast the story and the movies. Also I could have the students do and art project using colors and examples from the story. ( )
  ke141703 | Nov 21, 2011 |
Young Pochantas is a fascinating biogragphy about an Indiana Princesses, who is famously known for saving Jamestown; the book depicts Young Pochantas adolescent life and on up to adult hood. When one of the early settlers came to establish jamestown,he wondered into Pochantas villiage, and was sentenced to death by her father. However, in the Indian culture a women can contradict the sentence and save the prisoner and that exactly what she did. Then the Indians became friends with the english settlers and pochantas goes on to marry one of the englishmen but sadly died at a young age.

I love how the story teaches children about history in short easy kind of way. Also, the illustration help unfold the story vivdly.

One activity for teachers to do with this story, will be to go to a musesum and look at the indiana historal display. Also, teachers can bring native american dresses and shoes in to class and pass around. ( )
  mildred981 | Nov 15, 2010 |
The story of young Pocahontas is about a Indian Princess who grows up with her family in Virginina. She becomes one with the land. English settlers came to her land. They settled there and named it Jamestown. The English settlers was led by a man named John Smith. The Indians captured him and wanted to kill him but Pocahontas pleaded for his life. Jon Smith survived that day, and was very grateful for Pocahontas. Eventually Pocahontas meets and falls in love with another settler name John Rolfe. She married Rolfe and moved to London where she became ill and died at an early age of 21.

I can relate to this story because when I worked at an elementary school we all gave each other nicknames. There was snow white, cinderella, aunt jemima, and of course me, I was Pocahontas. One Halloween we all dressed the part, it was alot of fun.

During our Novemeber unit we can discuss Native Americans. Do research on different Indian Chiefs and princesses. What kinds of food they ate and how they lived off the land. We could make Indian Head Dresses for the boys and feather hair pieces for the girls.
  gena93 | Nov 8, 2010 |
This book about the Young Pocahontas is great for young readers and it shows how life was back then and why her father was the way he was. She loved her father and he was the one who named her and her name meant "wild one" she was a very fun loving person and loved life. When settlers came to their land the frist man her father wnated to kill was John Smith. But Pocahontas wouldn't let him and stood over him and told her father no so he was not killed because of the understanding amog the tribe of people.John Smith and Pocahontas became great friends and did many fun activies together but at the age of 21 she died and was missed by many.

This is a great book for young readers who do not need to know the horrbile details of what was going on back in this time and also helps them understand who she was at a young as as well and how it was t live by in this time.
  LogannPennington | Oct 18, 2010 |

Anne Benjaminprimary authorall editionscalculated
Powers, ChristineIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Designed especially for beginning readers, First-Start Biographies trace the childhood years of famous men and women who overcame obstacles and achieved greatness. Illustrated in full color.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:08 -0400)

A simple biography of the seventeenth-century Indian princess who befriended Captain John Smith and the English settlers of Jamestown.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,984,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible