dismiss

The Lover (1984)

by Marguerite Duras

4,1261322,006 (3.69)1 / 141
A sensational international bestseller, and winner of Frances' coveted Prix Goncourt, 'The Lover' is an unforgettable portrayal of the incandescent relationship between two lovers, and of the hate that slowly tears the girl's family apart. Saigon, 1930s: a poor young French girl meets the elegant son of a wealthy Chinese family. Soon they are lovers, locked into a private world of passion and intensity that defies all the conventions of their society. A sensational international bestseller, 'The Lover' is disturbing, erotic, masterly and simply unforgettable.… (more)
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (SCPeterson)
    SCPeterson: From the nymphet's perspective
    The North China Lover by Marguerite Duras (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: dieselbe Geschichte noch einmal erzählt
    Les Belles Images by Simone de Beauvoir (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: une éducation semblable bien que les choix soient différents
    The Vice Consul by Marguerite Duras (Cecrow)

English (109)  French (8)  Danish (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (131)
À la différence de son Dix Heures et demie du soir en été, L'Amant ne m'a ni parlé, ni intéressé. ( )
  DougLasT | Apr 27, 2020 |
assured, sensual, obnoxiously confident elliptical writing. ( )
  boredgames | Apr 10, 2020 |
Did nothing for me. Felt like a loose sketch for a novel which was never completed.

Some questionable writing too (perhaps a translation issue?). For example "Going back to Saigon I feel I'm going on a journey, especially when I take the bus, and this morning I've taken the bus"... Yeesh. ( )
  sometimeunderwater | Nov 5, 2019 |
Roman autobiographique mis en image par Jean-Jacques Annaud, "L'amant" est l'un des récits d'initiation amoureuse parmi les plus troublants qui soit. Dans une langue pure comme son sourire de jeune fille, Marguerite Duras confie sa rencontre et sa relation avec un rentier chinois de Saigon.
Dans l'Indochine coloniale de l'entre deux-guerres, la relation amoureuse entre cette jeune bachelière et cet homme déjà mûr est sublimée par un environnement extraordinaire. Dès leur rencontre sur le bac qui traverse le Mékong, on ressent l'attirance physique et la relation passionnée qui s'ensuivra, à la fois rapide comme le mouvement permanent propre au sud de l'Asie et lente comme les eaux d'un fleuve de désir.
Histoire d'amour aussi improbable que magnifique, "L'amant" est une peinture des sentiments amoureux, ces pages sont remplies d'un amour pur et entier.
Ce roman vaudra un succès conséquent à Marguerite Duras. Florent Mazzoleni
  Haijavivi | Jun 6, 2019 |
Increíble cómo una novela tan breve pueda transmitir tanto. Cada página está repleta de emoción cruda. No es solamente literatura erótica, es también una exploración del sufrimiento, de lo extranjero, del racismo, del amor y del poder, de la familia. La prosa de Duras es perfectamente sintética, sientes que no se deja nada en el tintero. Esta debe ser una de las novelas breves que más me deja impresionado. ( )
  LeoOrozco | Feb 26, 2019 |

Marguerite Durasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bray, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kingston, Maxine HongIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prato Caruso, LeonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rakusa, IlmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pour Bruno Nuytten
Un jour, j'étais âgée déjà, dans le hall d'un lieu public, un homme est venu vers moi.
One day, I was already old, in the entrance of a public place a man came up to me.
I often think of the image only I can see now, and of which I've never spoken. It's always there, in the same silence, amazing. It's the only image of myself I like, the only one in which I recognize myself, in which I delight.
Very early in my life it was too late. It was already too late when I was eighteen. Between eighteen and twenty-five my face took off in a new direction. I grew old at eighteen
I acquired that drinker's face before I drank. Drink only confirmed it. The space for it existed in me.
I had the luck to have a mother desperate with a despair so unalloyed that sometimes even life's happiness, at its most poignant, couldn't quite make her forget it.
You always went home with the feeling of having experienced a sort of empty nightmare, of having spent a few hours as the guest of strangers with other guests who were strangers too, of having lived through a space of time without any consequences and without any cause, human or other.
This is the 1984 book L'Amant, not to be confused with the 1971 book L'Amour.

Set in the prewar Indochina of Duras' childhood, The Lover is the haunting tale of a relationship between two outcasts - an adolescent French girl and her Chinese lover - during the waning days of the colonial period.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,848,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible