A Field Guide to Otherkin by Lupa

A Field Guide to Otherkin (2007)

by Lupa

The Otherkin community is a small but growing subculture of people who identify in some way - spiritually, metaphorically, etc. - as Other than human. Some resonate with dragons, while others believe they were elves in another life, and still others identify as wolves, great cats, and other Earthly animals. This book offers answers straight from over 100 survey respondents.… (more)

Lupa’s book on otherkin is a wonderful informational book on the community as a general whole. The book is well resourced, sited, and quoted. The book is through and professorial, and it was a great read. There were a few formatting errors but it was all few and far between and the slight errors did not subtract from the book over all. While I don’t fully agree with every single thing talked about, that is to be somewhat expected with such a loosely nit community with many different view points on different subjects as the otherkin community. Overall though, I simply loved the book. This book is a great real life, non-digital source for information on otherkin and therianthropy. I warmly recommend this book to any who are or might be interested on the topic. I wish more looks like it were about. ( )
1 vote earthlistener | May 11, 2010 |
Since this is a ‘Therianthropy 101’ book, and I’ve been in the community for about four years, I didn’t really learn a whole lot (except that the ‘otherkin’ community traces its roots back to the hippy movement. Weird!), but I did thoroughly enjoy the book. The information was clear and correct, and interesting to read.
I might say that the illustrations were unneeded and didn’t really add anything to the book, and that a few otherkin groups are slightly under-represented (but that can hardly be helped).
Overall, fantastic. Recommended to therians and nontherians alike. I hope it inspires more books on therians in the future. ( )
2 vote SummonerWolf | May 20, 2009 |
Truthfully, I wasn't really expecting to get much out of this one as opposed to her "Fang and Fur, Blood and Bone." Well, I was wrong. I have spent some time haunting the edges of the Otherkin community, and I was one of the 130 survey respondents, so the basic information wasn't new. That being said, I still learned a /great/ deal from the book. More importantly, (in my humble opinion, anyway), it inspired some more self reflection and musings that will be chewed on for a while.

Lupa's writing style, as I've come to expect, is fluid and conversational, making the book very pleasurable to read. The entire text is peppered with anecdotes from Lupa and the survey respondents, as well as plenty of outside sources. Everything was covered very nicely, with plenty of different views given. Each of the Otherkin "types" is given a chapter, and while the mythology/lore opening sections occasionally went into a bit too much detail, they were overall an excellent part of the text I wasn't expecting.

I highly recommend it for both Otherkin and curious non-kin. The origin theories chapter is definitely a must-read for anyone wanting to discuss Otherkin seriously. ( )
3 vote skullfaced | May 6, 2007 |
This review was written by the author.
30 page preview available at http://www.thegreenwolf.com/preview.pdf
1 vote | lupagreenwolf | Apr 6, 2007 |

Lupa is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,614,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible