On Intelligence by Jeff Hawkins

On Intelligence (original 2005; edition 2004)

by Jeff Hawkins, Sandra Blakeslee

1,2001910,245 (4.07)5
Member:beefviper
Title:On Intelligence
Authors:Jeff Hawkins
Other authors:Sandra Blakeslee
Info:Times Books (2004), Edition: Adapted, Hardcover, 272 pages

On Intelligence by Jeff Hawkins (2005)

This book gives you insights about how the brain works. It helped me to get a deeper understanding on subjects like creativity, managing information, and on taking decisions. ( )
  BenLinders | Jul 30, 2017 |
Simple language, best for non-technical readers. ( )
  dendisuhubdy | Mar 22, 2016 |
This book was like an uncle, the eccentric uncle who your parents don't like to hang out with, and with whom *you* don't like to hang out with, much, who will tell you how smart he is, how everyone else is so dumb, how super intelligent he is, how so very dumb everyone else is, and they're dumb because it's just so *obvious* they're dumb, but then you hear one thing he says and you think, "Hey, that might be an interesting thought..." but then you remember it's your crazy flipping uncle and he starts telling you the same story, but this time by naming all the synonyms he can name for 'discourse,' just a straight list of them, and not for nothing he knows *a lot* of synonyms for the word 'discourse.'
Or maybe, let's think of it another way, like it's a song, only the song only repeats itself over and over and over again. The notes are all the same set of three, and they are repeated endlessly. Occasionally different words are sung over the same three notes, but mostly they're the same, usually in the same order.
Imagine, because you're not as smart as the author, that the book is like a mighty river at the bottom of a valley that you hold in higher regard than a crummy little stream at the top of a mountain. Now just because, stupid, the river is actually *physically* lower than the stream it doesn't mean that your regard for it is necessarily lower.
"Can we trust that the world is as it seems? Yes. The world really does exist in an absolute form very close to how we perceive it." I'm just going to toss that out there, not going to back it up, but I said it, so there it is.
I think this book could have been interesting (and far, far shorter if he didn't feel the need to make three or four or five or more different comparisons to try and explain how we perceive things), but the author and I just didn't get on pretty early, and I found myself desperate to get to the end, just to get it over with. And I did. Thank goodness. ( )
  mhanlon | Nov 1, 2015 |
Hawkins develops a powerful theory of how the human brain works, explaining why computers are not intelligent and how, based on this new theory, we can finally build intelligent machines.

The brain is not a computer, but a memory system that stores experiences in a way that reflects the true structure of the world, remembering sequences of events and their nested relationships and making predictions based on those memories. It is this memory-prediction system that forms the basis of intelligence, perception, creativity, and even consciousness.

In an engaging style that will captivate audiences from the merely curious to the professional scientist, Hawkins shows how a clear understanding of how the brain works will make it possible for us to build intelligent machines, in silicon, that will exceed our human ability in surprising ways. ( )
  MarkBeronte | Mar 4, 2014 |
Except for one excruciatingly difficult chapter on brain structure a great book, full of interesting ideas and an intriguing view of the future. ( )
  DSeanW | Aug 7, 2011 |

Jeff Hawkinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blakeslee, Sandrasecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805078533, Paperback)

Jeff Hawkins, the high-tech success story behind PalmPilots and the Redwood Neuroscience Institute, does a lot of thinking about thinking. In On Intelligence Hawkins juxtaposes his two loves--computers and brains--to examine the real future of artificial intelligence. In doing so, he unites two fields of study that have been moving uneasily toward one another for at least two decades. Most people think that computers are getting smarter, and that maybe someday, they'll be as smart as we humans are. But Hawkins explains why the way we build computers today won't take us down that path. He shows, using nicely accessible examples, that our brains are memory-driven systems that use our five senses and our perception of time, space, and consciousness in a way that's totally unlike the relatively simple structures of even the most complex computer chip. Readers who gobbled up Ray Kurzweil's (The Age of Spiritual Machines and Steven Johnson's Mind Wide Open will find more intriguing food for thought here. Hawkins does a good job of outlining current brain research for a general audience, and his enthusiasm for brains is surprisingly contagious. --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:16 -0400)

The developer of the PalmPilot and creator of the Redwood Neuroscience Institute examines the real future of artificial intelligence, explaining why the way we build computers today won't result in intelligent machines. He shows, using accessible examples, that the brain's neocortex is a memory-driven system that uses our senses and our perception of time, space, and consciousness to construct a predictive model of the world in a way that's totally unlike even the most complex computer software.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,357,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible