Manchester, England by Dave Haslam

Manchester, England

by Dave Haslam

A bit of a strange one this, I expected from a renowned Manchester DJ a more up to date/modern take on Manchester life, so I freely admit that I found the approx the first 1/3 of the book boring as hell because I was just wasn't in the mindset for a history lesson. As fascinating as the Peterloo Massacre (and other pre 1930 events) was, it wasn't what I really what I wanted to read about from 'legendary Hacienda DJ' Mr Haslam. However once it got into the music scene history lesson I was all ears, and it was worth the trek to the Cornerhouse for a signed copy, I wont spoil it too much as I can assume that anyone with an interest in Manchester Music History can guess all the artists mentioned in this book, worth a read if you can get past the first few chapters. ( )
  breakbeat | Jun 8, 2010 |

The definitive account of the pop cult capital of the UK by Dave Haslam, one of Manchester's top DJs and journalists. Manchester, a predominantly working-class city, away from the nation's capital, has been at the margins of English culture for centuries. The explosion of music and creativity in Manchester can be traced back from Victorian music hall and the jazz age, to Northern Soul and rock and roll, through to acid house and Oasis. But its roots are in Manchester's history as a melting pot of popular idealism and dissent, from the industrial revolution on, via film, theatre, comedy and TV. And for Manchester, read England and the world. Dave Haslam is uniquely placed to tell this story - Manchester, England is as witty, erudite and passionate as you would expect from a man who can say, again and again, "I was there". Like Jon Savage's England's Dreaming, this is the last word on the abiding centre of 40 years of UK pop culture.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,367,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible