Xingu and Other Stories by Edith Wharton

Xingu and Other Stories

by Edith Wharton

bookshelves: published-1916, satire, shortstory-shortstories-novellas, tbr-busting-2013, autumn-2013, books-about-books-and-book-shops
Recommended to ☯Bettie☯ by: Laura
Read from November 21 to 22, 2013

Opening: Mrs. Ballinger is one of the ladies who pursue Culture in bands, as though it were dangerous to meet alone. To this end she had founded the Lunch Club, an association composed of herself and several other indomitable huntresses of erudition.

Read here

Some 'indomitable huntresses of erudition' do lunch and books to the outer limits of pomposity and pretentiousness...

At 24 pages this is a breeze through and it underscores my reticence of book clubs - the stuff of recurring nightmares. ( )
  mimal | Jan 1, 2014 |
I never knew this book existed, until I saw it on the list of someone also participating in the A - Z challenge, and when I found there was this in a short story collection, I had to find it. I mean an "X" title is rare! I had to read it in ebook form, as there doesn't appear to be many print available, and even in Ebook, the quality wasn't the best, as it's been scanned in. A rare book, the title story was worth the trouble.

Xingu, is by far the best short story in the collection, it was witty and well written, and showed a very interesting example of snobby, posh women who are pretending they are up with what's "in". I loved at the end, how it was all explained, and overall made for a pleasurable read. Not to mention, Wharton's writing, is lovely.

Kenfol, which was a bit of a ghost story was my second favourite, and was easy to read and kept my interest. I also enjoyed The Bunner Sisters, although it was a bit of a depressing story, it was well written, and the plot was interesting enough.

Unfortunately, like with most collections of short stories some just didn't work. The Long Run, Autres Temps and most of Coming Home, passed through me. I read them there was a story there, but none left any memorable impression there. The Choice and The Triumph of Night were good, but there wasn't anything special about them to give them that extra push.

All of the stories were well written, I really enjoy Wharton's style of writing, she's inbetween the late 19th century and early 20th century style of writing, yet still as her on unique qualities to it. This book has me looking forward to reading, Age of Innocence. Which is good, as the first book I read by her "Glimpses of the Moon, wasn't my favourite out there.

Would I recommend it to read: I'd definitely recommend short story Xingu. It was witty, well written, and a very fun story to read. If you enjoy early 20th century writing, then I'd recommend all the short stories in this collection, if not, than just Xingu.

Also on my book review blog Jules'Book Revies - Xingu and Other Stories ( )
  bookwormjules | Jun 5, 2011 |
1386 Xingu and Other Stories, by Edith Wharton (read 18 Apr 1976) This book has eight short stories: Xingu, Coming Home, Autres Temps, Karfol, The Long Run, The Triumph of Night, The Choice, and Bunner Sisters. I thought the best of the lot was The Choice, about a woman who hates her husband who survives when her lover dies. As usual with a book of short stories, they are of uneven quality. ( )
  Schmerguls | Feb 8, 2009 |

In the title story, a refined ladies' lunch club and its members' pretensions to cultural understanding, come under Edith Wharton's keen satiric eye.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,698,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible