The Iron King by Maurice Druon

The Iron King (1955)

by Maurice Druon

Series: Les Rois Maudits [The Accursed Kings] (1)

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (Fayries)
    Fayries: George R. R. Martin himself wrote that "Druon's series was one of my major inspirations".

English (32)  French (4)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (39)
No, I did NOT decide to read this because of George R.R. Martin; I was not enamored of his GoT! I wanted a sense of medieval France [most medieval historical fiction novels seem to be set in England and this was something unusual. And, I thought to pick up a little French history along the way.] The characters were absolutely unloveable: from Philip the Fair down to his dysfunctional family and courtiers. Everyone is absolutely selfish, hedonistic, manipulative, cruel, and some are even amoral. The story does draw you in to the political machinations of that period; I can't say how much the author exaggerated them and the absolute evil of his characters. The burning at the stake of the Templar Grand Master, Jacques de Molay, and his curse were absolutely chilling. The adulteries of the daughters-in-law and their lovers led to an inevitable, horrible conclusion. Part towards the end where the curse was beginning to be fulfilled was eerie. The parts about the Lombard bankers was boring. ( )
  janerawoof | Jul 21, 2014 |
Got the idea to read this book from looking at George RR Martin's influence for Game of Thrones. Said he wrote this book with this series in mind. Martin had to throw in sci-fi/fantasy elements to GOT to throw people off the scent of being a derivative work; there are so many similar incidences. In fact, while reading many of the characters in the book I visualized as being the characters from GOT. If you are a fan of that show, which I am, you will like these books. I have not read the GOT series, and I would but I typically do not enjoy a book that is the basis for a movie or show I've already seen. ( )
  rdwhitenack | Jul 19, 2014 |
Is one of my favorite books. Ever. [a:Maurice Druon|57294|Maurice Druon|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1235795116p2/57294.jpg] Knows how to write history as a novel and shows you the beggining of the of the monarchy in France. shows how supersticions and conspiracies were surronding the French crown and force them to change and eventually... Fall. I finish this book and automatically I started reading [b:La reina estrangulada|9773348|La reina estrangulada (Los Reyes Malditos, #2)|Maurice Druon|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1301507202s/9773348.jpg|2618526]If you like hisotry, specially of Europe this book is a most. ( )
  CaroPi | Jun 22, 2014 |
This is the first book in The Accursed Kings series of French historical novels written in the 1950s by noted Academie francaise member Maurice Druon, and cited by George R R Martin as one of his inspirations for his fantasy series beginning with A Game of Thrones. It is set in the high Medieval period at the close of the reign of King Philip IV the Fair, the King who suppressed the Templars and whose daughter Isabella married and probably murdered the English King Edward II and later supported the claim of her son Edward III to the throne of France. This novel covers very dramatic events - the burning at the stake of the Templar leader Jacques de Molay, the serial adultery of the King's daughters-in-law, hideous executions, poisonings and betrayals. Unlike Game of Thrones, it's all real history, though; history being more my cup of tea than fantasy, I expect I'll be reading the second book in this series, The Strangled Queen, before I read A Clash of Kings (Druon's novels are much shorter also!). Great stuff. ( )
  john257hopper | May 14, 2014 |
As a fan of Game of Thrones, I'm really looking forward to read this and seeking out updated translation of later books in the series.
  megacoupe | Feb 4, 2014 |

Maurice Druonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hare, HumphreyTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Under the beautiful but heartless Philip the Fair, France suffers a reign of terror unmatched in history. His enemies are swiftly crushed by torture and death; his court teems with deception and duplicity.
Yet even against this background of fear and treachery, passions burn with a hungry flame. The incomparably beautiful princesses-- Marguerite, Jeanne, and Blanche-- seek diversion in adultery-- tempting, sensuous sirens of destruction. And then they too become caught in the web of political scheming-- hapless victims of their own tumultuous desires!

The Iron King--Philip the Fair--is as cold and silent, as handsome and unblinking as a statue. He governs his realm with an iron hand, but he cannot rule his own family: his sons are weak and their wives adulterous; while his red-blooded daughter Isabella is unhappily married to an English king who prefers the company of men. A web of scandal, murder and intrigue is weaving itself around the Iron King; but his downfall will come from an unexpected quarter. Bent on the persecution of the rich and powerful Knights Templar, Philip sentences Grand Master Jacques Molay to be burned at the stake, thus drawing down upon himself a curse that will destroy his entire dynasty.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Iron King by Maurice Druon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,890,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible