The Iron King by Maurice Druon

The Iron King (1955)

by Maurice Druon (Author)

Series: The Accursed Kings (1)

A Game Of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (Fayries)
    Fayries: George R. R. Martin himself wrote that "Druon's series was one of my major inspirations".
    The Lady Agnès Mystery, Volume 1 by Andrea Japp (Imprinted)

English (39)  French (5)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (47)
This was good - historical fiction like it used to be. I read it because George Martin recommended it as "the original Iron Throne." I was not disappointed! It intrigued me and taught me some things, while making me feel like I was right there, exactly what I want from historical fiction. This story begins in the reign of Phillip the Fair, when he is killing off the last of the Templars; it is essentially the prequel to the War of Roses.

Good companion reading to Rutherford's new historical fictional exploration of Paris ("Paris"). There is a time period in that book very close to this one. Also, remember the beautiful Isabella, Queen of England in the movie Braveheart? She is Phillip's daughter and is featured in this ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Fecha de lectura aproximada. Sólo recuerdo que fue el 2006, no el mes. :P ( )
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
4.5 Stars
When I first read novelist George R.R. Martin's statement that Maurice Druon's Accursed Kings series is the "original Game of Thrones" I knew I had to read it. I wasn't disappointed.

Set in early 14th century France, The Iron King concerns the final years of King Philip the Fair's reign, which was defined by his persecution of the Knights Templar and the scandalous behaviour of his daughters-in-law. Philip's persecution of the Templars is particularly notable for his execution of Grand Master Jacques Molay who, with his dying words, curses the King and his descendants. Very soon thereafter, things start to go badly for Philip, including the death of one of his trusted advisors and the coming to light of the adultery committed by his daughters-in-law. It is not long before Philip starts to question whether or not Molay's curse is coming to fruition, and if his own downfall will be next.

Well-written and fast-paced, The Iron King is full of political intrigue and cunning. The novel showcases the key political power players at Philip's court, as well as those who fall outside of it such as Philip's daughter Isabella, who is Queen of England, and the Lombard bankers who controlled money lending. While the narrative unfolds from multiple viewpoints, Droun is still able to successfully convey the motivations and defining characteristics of each of his primary characters. A lot of historical information is conveyed throughout the novel, but this information never serves to slow the narrative down given that Druon doesn't have his characters explain to one another historical details with which they would already be fully familiar. Instead, Druon has included an extensive series of endnotes to provide the reader with historical background, an approach I wish more authors of historical fiction would adopt.

The Iron King is overall a fantastic read, and I can't wait to read the remaining books in the Accursed Kings series. Highly recommended to fans of medieval historical fiction. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
  Leander2010 | Nov 24, 2015 |
In realtà è una rilettura perchè acquistai e lessi questo libro quando uscì. Me lo ricordavo molto bello e si conferma veramente bello.Storicamente ineccepibile e scritto come se fosse un romanzo di avventura. Gli amanti dei libri storici non dovrebbero assolutamente perdersi questa lettura. ( )
  Angela.Me | Nov 9, 2015 |

Druon, MauriceAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hare, HumphreyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Under the beautiful but heartless Philip the Fair, France suffers a reign of terror unmatched in history. His enemies are swiftly crushed by torture and death; his court teems with deception and duplicity.
Yet even against this background of fear and treachery, passions burn with a hungry flame. The incomparably beautiful princesses-- Marguerite, Jeanne, and Blanche-- seek diversion in adultery-- tempting, sensuous sirens of destruction. And then they too become caught in the web of political scheming-- hapless victims of their own tumultuous desires!

The Iron King--Philip the Fair--is as cold and silent, as handsome and unblinking as a statue. He governs his realm with an iron hand, but he cannot rule his own family: his sons are weak and their wives adulterous; while his red-blooded daughter Isabella is unhappily married to an English king who prefers the company of men. A web of scandal, murder and intrigue is weaving itself around the Iron King; but his downfall will come from an unexpected quarter. Bent on the persecution of the rich and powerful Knights Templar, Philip sentences Grand Master Jacques Molay to be burned at the stake, thus drawing down upon himself a curse that will destroy his entire dynasty.… (more)

124 wanted4 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Iron King by Maurice Druon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,907,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible