The Panther and the Pearl by Doreen Owens…

The Panther and the Pearl (edition 1994)

by Doreen Owens Malek

Member:AninditaGhosh
Title:The Panther and the Pearl
Authors:Doreen Owens Malek
Info:Leisure Books (Mm) (1994), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Panther and the Pearl by Doreen Owens Malek

I didn't think I was going to enjoy this story, but once I got into it I was gripped and read into the early hours. You hear the story from both Sarah and Kalid. I had to keep reading to find out what Kalid would do next and what Sarah would do to outsmart him. I also enjoyed that although Kalid was determined to keep Sarah, he wasn't completely inflexible and did change, throughout the story. I hate it when the woman falls in love and just capitulates, whilst the man stays the same. In this story, both of the main characters change a little, but not too much. I also liked that the other characters in the story were fully-fleshed out and not just sketchy background characters, there to move the plot along.

I really wanted to give this one 5 stars, but the scenes in England. Hmmm! Not being Turkish I don't know how authentic those scenes were, but some of the english ones really grated. Mainly because of things like saying that "Star gazey pie" is similar to shepherds pie, that yorkshire pudding is similar to american biscuits. And the one that always irritates me, saying "blocks" instead of streets or roads.

These were small points but did interrupt the flow of the latter part of the story, a bit more research perhaps? ( )
  SaraAnn05 | Aug 28, 2013 |
When Sarah visits her cousin and his wife in Persia, she is intrigued by the culture, and volunteers to teach at the Sultan's Harem. But then she catches the eye of Kalid, a Prince. So Kalid buys her from the Sultan, because she intrigues him in a way that no woman has. Sarah is shocked to discover she belongs to Kalid, and even though he is gorgeous and mesmerizing, but she refuses to give in to his seduction, because she is a person not a possession...but when he kisses her all her common sense and revolve goes out the window, and she feels herself opening up to him despite her inner protests and knows that she is falling in love with him...This was the first novel that I have read from this author, and I just fell in love with this story. It starts out a little slow but eventually the story really kicks into gear, and I found myself not able to put it down. I have always had a weakness for Sheikh's love stories, and this is probably at the top of my favorites now....Kalid is very arrogant and holds power in his hands....but as the story progressed you start to just fall in love with him as the hero. Sarah is very strong willed and determined and I just loved how she stands up to Kalid with no fear....and I just enjoyed seeing these two fall for each other....it was a heartwarming romance, that will tickle your toes as you read...and warm your heart!!! A beautiful story set in a exotic place!!! Definitely looking forward to reading more from this breathtaking author who creates wonderful stories to capture the heart!! ( )
  addictofromance | Feb 25, 2013 |

When her journey to Constantinople goes awry, Sarah finds herself trapped in the harem of passionate Kalid Shah, a Turkish prince determined to overcome her independent spirit. Original.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:25 -0400)

The American Beauty: When an innocent excursion to Constantinople took an unexpected twist, Sarah Woolcott found herself a prisoner in the harem of young and virile Kalid Shah. Headstrong and courageous, Sarah was determined to resist the handsome foreigner whose arrogance outraged her--even as his tantalizing touch promised exotic nights of fiery sensuality. The Turkish Prince: Never had he encountered a woman who inflamed his desire like the blonde Westerner with the independent spirit. Although she spurned his passionate overtures, Kalid vowed to tempt her with his masterful skills until she became a willing companion on their journey of exquisite ecstasy!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,917,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible