Ambient Findability: What We Find Changes…

Ambient Findability: What We Find Changes Who We Become (2005)

by Peter Morville

Information Foraging Theory: Adaptive Interaction with Information (Oxford Series in Human-Technology Interaction) by Peter L. T. Pirolli (chellerystick)
    chellerystick: Pirolli's book provides the theoretical modeling behind ideas such as "information scent" and is recommended to those who liked Ambient Findability as well as those who found it too "fluffy."
    The Travels and Adventures of Serendipity: A Study in Sociological Semantics and the Sociology of Science by Robert K. Merton (bertilak)

English (24)  French (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (27)
Ambient Findability by Peter Morville is often used as a textbook in the reference course I took. The professor I took it from didn't include the book but the title and the fact that it was published by O'Reilly Media piqued my interest enough to want to read it as the class was starting up.

Although the description mentions information overload, the book isn't really about that. It's about how information and people hook up. There is the information that one seeks and that which falls into one's lap.

Morville begins his book by wondering how the reader has come across his book. He goes on to wonder if anyone will find his book.

Much of the book is a discussion on techniques of cataloguing information so it can be found again. It isn't though an SEO recipe book. Instead it is a call for professionalism, consistency and intelligence behind how information is gathered, sorted and marked for retrieval.

I read a library book via interlibrary loan. Someday I would like my own copy. ( )
  pussreboots | Jul 29, 2013 |
I used this book before for my course on information architecture but I also found it now relevant for my research on categorisation of information objects. I think this can be used in combination with his first book, ˜Information Architecture for the WWW™. In this book, Morville (2005, p. 139) argues that œontologies, taxonomies, and folksonomies are not mutually exclusive. However a closer examination of this book shows that Morville is rather a staunchest critic of user-generated metadata approaches. He likes to call it mob indexing, a term which shows a certain intended bias against socially-generated metadata approaches. Plus, he tries to delineate that such metadata has its appropriate place in the blogosphere and social media environments and not entirely in portals and digital libraries. Overall, this is an interesting read and it touches a host of topics, very good illustrations, not the least the lemur on its cover. ( )
  getaneha | Jan 16, 2012 |
This is a book on purposeful use of information, in searching and finding kinds of situations, and particularly what Internet and the new media mean for searching and finding. It covers a very broad range of topics, including location-based services, ubicomp, social media and more, from the perspective of information architecture and information retrieval. It seems to be written mostly for information architects, but it might also be useful to interaction designers who need to strengthen their foundations in information-centered approaches.
  jonas.lowgren | Sep 15, 2011 |
A delightful essay on findability in the age of ambient presence. Morville is co-author of the authoritative "Information Architecture for the World Wide Web". I wanted to read this slimmer volume to see if there was something for a course I am co-designing in "content management," and, indeed, Ch 5-6 may be the relatively succinct explanation of findability, and then the whole mess of metadata including a very clear, very brief explanation of why the semantic web is unlikely to take off but really matters sometimes, and how the worlds of taxonomy clash with folksonomy and why both matter. Clearest short explanation of RDF and triples and why they matter I've seen in a while. May be worth having students read those chapters instead of struggling through IA for the WWW. ( )
1 vote adavidow | Sep 8, 2009 |
This book provides a lot of interesting factoids and probably fodder for some though-provoking conversation. However, I'm not entirely sure what the point of this book is and who its intended audience really is. It doesn't seem to have a goal in mind, more just information for information's sake. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | May 3, 2009 |

""A lively, enjoyable and informative tour of a topic that's only going to become more important.""

--David Weinberger, Author, "Small Pieces Loosely Joined" and "The Cluetrain Manifesto"

""I envy the young scholar who finds this inventive book, by whatever strange means are necessary. The future isn't just unwritten--it's unsearched.""

--Bruce Sterling, Writer, Futurist, and Co-Founder, The Electronic Frontier Foundation

""Search engine marketing is the hottest thing in Internet business, and deservedly so. Ambient Findability puts SEM into a broader context and provides deeper insights into human behavior. This book will help you grow your online business in a world where being found is not at all certain.""

--Jakob Nielsen, Ph.D., Author, "Designing Web Usability: The Practice of Simplicity"

""Information that's hard to find will remain information that's hardly found--from one of the fathers of the discipline of information architecture, and one of its most experienced practitioners, come penetrating observations on why findability is elusive and how the act of seeking changes us.""

--Steve Papa, Founder and Chairman, Endeca

""Whether it's a fact or a figure, a person or a place, Peter Morville knows how to make it findable. Morville explores the possibilities of a world where everything can always be found--and the challenges in getting there--in this wide-ranging, thought-provoking book.""

--Jesse James Garrett, Author, "The Elements of User Experience"

""It is easy to assume that current searching of the World Wide Web is the last word in finding and using information. Peter Morville shows us that search engines are just the beginning. Skillfully weaving together information science research with his own extensive experience, he develops for the reader a feeling for the near future when information is truly findable all around us. There are immense implications, and Morville's lively and humorous writing brings them home.""

--Marcia J. Bates, Ph.D., University of California Los Angeles

""I've always known that Peter Morville was smart. After reading Ambient Findability, I now know he's (as we say in Boston) wicked smart. This is a timely book that will have lasting effects on how we create our future."

--Jared Spool, Founding Principal, User Interface Engineering

""In Ambient Findability, Peter Morville has put his mind and keyboard on the pulse of the electronic noosphere. With tangible examples and lively writing, he lays out the challenges and wonders of finding our way in cyberspace, and explains the mutually dependent evolution of our changing world and selves. This is a must read for everyone and a practical guide for designers.""

--Gary Marchionini, Ph.D., University of North Carolina

""Find this book! Anyone interested in makinginformation easier to find, or understanding how finding and being found is changing, will find this thoroughly researched, engagingly written, literate, insightful and very, very cool book well worth their time. Myriad examples from rich and varied domains and a valuable idea on nearly every page. Fun to read, too!"

--Joseph Janes, Ph.D., Founder, Internet Public Library

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

How do you find your way in an age of information overload? How can you filter streams of complex information to pull out only what you want? Why does it matter how information is structured when Google seems to magically bring up the right answer to your questions? What does it mean to be "findable" in this day and age? This eye-opening new book examines the convergence of information and connectivity. Written by Peter Morville, author of the groundbreaking Information Architecture for the World Wide Web, the book defines our current age as a state of unlimited findability. In other words, anyone can find anything at any time. Complete navigability. Morville discusses the Internet, GIS, and other network technologies that are coming together to make unlimited findability possible. He explores how the melding of these innovations impacts society, since Web access is now a standard requirement for successful people and businesses. But before he does that, Morville looks back at the history of wayfinding and human evolution, suggesting that our fear of being lost has driven us to create maps, charts, and now, the mobile Internet. The book's central thesis is that information literacy, information architecture, and usability are all critical components of this new world order. Hand in hand with that is the contention that only by planning and designing the best possible software, devices, and Internet, will we be able to maintain this connectivity in the future. Morville's book is highlighted with full color illustrations and rich examples that bring his prose to life. Ambient Findability doesn't preach or pretend to know all the answers. Instead, it presents research, stories, and examples in support of its novel ideas. Are we truly at a critical point in our evolution where the quality of our digital networks will dictate how we behave as a species? Is findability indeed the primary key to a successful global marketplace in the 21st century and beyond. Peter Morville takes you on a thought-provoking tour of these memes and more -- ideas that will not only fascinate but will stir your creativity in practical ways that you can apply to your work immediately.… (more)

Peter Morville is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

O'Reilly Media

An edition of this book was published by O'Reilly Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,314,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible