Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and…

Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire

by Mike Mignola, Christopher Golden

3381332,536 (4)7

Synopsis: Seen as the Tin Soldier, Lord Baltimore wages war on vampires. His three friends, all having had paranormal experiences, support him in his quest.
Review: The pairing of Baltimore and the Tin Soldier as well as the Devil with Jack-in-the-Box is a nice literary conceit. The storyline is interesting and the graphics are well chosen. ( )
  DrLed | May 10, 2014 |
Not my usual cup of tea, but a really interesting take on an old fairy tale. Makes me want to brush up on my HC Anderson... ( )
  ScoutJ | Mar 31, 2013 |
I'm finding, about a year after reading this, that it has really stayed with me. i think about this book after the fact. So, while I gave it 3.5 stars right after I read it, I think it has earned another half star.

It's a gothic horror tale, gross and scary, but really engaging. ( )
  mazeway | Jun 28, 2011 |
An old-fashioned adventure fashioned as a classic folk tale, "Baltimore" is more an anthology of stories that eventually gel into a cohesive epic of good vs. evil. Flashbacks within flashbacks take turns with delightfully dark vignettes of brilliantly conceived shorts that are each neatly novel in their approach to supernatural horror. At the core of the story is a passionate and driven protagonist who rightfully deserves a spot amongst the great warriors of fiction. The illustrations are more decorations, but otherwise, the book is a breathless and intriguing read. ( )
  mikemillertime | Apr 19, 2011 |

Mike Mignolaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Golden, Christophermain authorall editionsconfirmed

AR 6.8, 13 Pts

From celebrated comic artist Mike Mignola and award-winning novelist Christopher Golden comes a work of gothic storytelling like no other. Reminiscent of the illustrated tales of old, here is a lyrical, atmospheric novel of the paranormal—and a chilling allegory for the nature of war.

“Why do dead men rise up to torment the living?” Captain Henry Baltimore asks the malevolent winged creature. The vampire shakes its head. “It was you called us. All of you, with your war. The roar of your cannons shook us from our quiet graves…. You killers. You berserkers…. You will never be rid of us now.”

When Lord Henry Baltimore awakens the wrath of a vampire on the hellish battlefields of World War I, the world is forever changed. For a virulent plague has been unleashed—a plague that even death cannot end.

Now the lone soldier in an eternal struggle against darkness, Baltimore summons three old friends to a lonely inn—men whose travels and fantastical experiences incline them to fully believe in the evil that is devouring the soul of mankind.

As the men await their old friend, they share their tales of terror and misadventure, and contemplate what part they will play in Baltimore’s timeless battle. Before the night is through, they will learn what is required to banish the plague—and the creature who named Baltimore his nemesis—once and for all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:29 -0400)

Infected by a demonic vampire while fighting in the Ardennes forest during World War I, Lord Henry Baltimore summons three friends and prepares himself for a final showdown with the Red King.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,389,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible