Sister of My Heart by Chitra Banerjee…

Sister of My Heart (1999)

by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

Recently added bybooksniff, beckyclayton, wannabelibrarian1, ArleenWilliams, irishlinen, private library
    Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda (dara85)
    Dolceamaro a Bombay by Namita Devidayal (cometahalley)
    L' odore del mondo by Radhika Jha (cometahalley)
    The Mistress of Spices by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni (cometahalley)
    Neela: Victory Song by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni (sundancer)
    sundancer: 1. Chitra Banerjee Divaaruni wrote both 2. Both have strong female leads 3. Both take place in India 4. Both are about courage, bravery, family, and friendship

English (23)  Danish (1)  All languages (24)
L'amore che lega due donne va oltre i legami di sangue. Due bambine cresciute insieme e che affrontano un mondo troglodita dove gli uomini ancora sottomettono le donne ai loro voleri...
Amando le storie afghane, non avevo mai fatto caso che le donne indiane vivono più o meno come loro e hanno usanze e costumi molto simili.
Consigliato! ( )
  Emanuela.Booklove | Oct 6, 2013 |
November 2008 COTC Book Club selection.

Sudha and Anju are cousins born on the same day, raised as sisters by their mothers and aunt. Divakaruni brings to light the hard lives faced by Indian women with no men to protect them. Neither Anju nor Sudha ends up with the life she expected and tragedy strikes more than once, but through it all, the cousins find that the bond of love they share is stronger than anything else. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
My last book of 2007.

Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni made an indelible impression on the literary world with her first novel, The Mistress of Spices, a magical tale of love and herbs. Sister of My Heart is less reliant on enchantment but no less enchanting as it tells the tale of two cousins born on the same day, their premature births brought on by a mysterious occurrence that claims the lives of both their fathers. Sudha is beautiful, Anju is not; yet the girls love each other as sisters, the bond between them so strong it seems nothing can break it. When both are pushed into arranged marriages, however, each discovers a devastating secret that changes their relationship forever.

Pretty good, though with the chapters alternating between the two girls I did get a little confused sometimes as to what happened to whom - there seemed to be not enough difference between the two voices for me to remember who and what. (I have to admit that I did read this over perhaps a week, putting it down and picking it up again, so that may have contributed).
  nordie | Jun 17, 2011 |
This is a book that I must have been carrying around for over a month before I had the opportunity to sit and read it. I'm glad I finally had a five minute window to open it, although it did mean that I had to find time to read the rest of it! It is the story of two girl cousins, born in a large Calcutta house on the night that their mothers heard of the deaths of their fathers. While underlying the story is the struggle of being a female only household in a highly patriarchal society, it is really a story about who is family.

Told in alternating points of view of the two cousins, the gradual unfolding of the secrets that either hold a family together or tear it apart is beautifully presented. The mysticism that is wound through is fascinating - the cousins have very different beliefs, and the author has managed to juxtapose them in such a way that both are believable. The world building is subtle and very detailed, to the point that I suspect I would have got a completely different experience from reading the book if I had an underlying sense of the time and place that it is set. The details are sufficiently subtle that they don't give a sensation of voyeurism into some one else's culture, but of being invited to see through the eyes of the girls/women. 9/10 ( )
  fred_mouse | Oct 6, 2010 |
I love this book: it says it's a mix between reality and stories, but aren't stories part of reality? However you chose to look at it, Sister of My Heart is a masterpiece. ( )
  goldnyght | May 15, 2010 |

Divakaruni’s new novel is entitled Sister of My Heart. This book is about how the lives of two women are changed by marriage, as one woman comes to California, and the other stays behind in India.

Anju is the daughter of an upper-caste Calcutta family of distinction. Sudha is the daughter of the black sheep of that same family. Sudha is startlingly beautiful; Anju is not. Despite these differences, since the day the two girls were born—the same day their fathers died, mysteriously and violently—Sudha and Anju have been sisters of the heart. Bonded in ways even their mothers cannot comprehend, the two girls grow into womanhood as if their fates, as well as their hearts, are merged.

When Sudha learns a dark family secret, that connection is threatened. For the first time in their lives, the girls know what it is to feel suspicion and distrust—Sudha, because she feels a new shame that she cannot share with Anju; and Anju, because she discovers the seductive power of her sister’s beauty, a power Sudha herself is incapable of controlling. When, due to a change in family fortune, the girls are urged into arranged marriages, their lives take opposite turns. One travels to America, and one remains in India; both have lives of secrets. When tragedy strikes both of them, however, they discover that, despite distance and marriage, they must turn to each other once again.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038548951X, Paperback)

Sister of My Heart spans many years and zigzags between India and America as the cousins first grow apart and then eventually reunite. Divakaruni invests this domestic drama with poetry as she traces her heroines' lives from infancy to motherhood, but it is Sudha and Anju who give the story its backbone. Anju might speak for both when she says, "In spite of all my insecurities, in spite of the oceans that'll be between us soon and the men that are between us already, I can never stop loving Sudha. It's my habit, and it's my fate." Book lovers may well discover that reading Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni is habit-forming as well. --Margaret Prior

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:47 -0400)

A novel on sisterhood featuring two cousins from India, both forced into arranged marriages. It chronicles the way they help each other overcome family dramas in India and the U.S. By the author of The Mistress of Spices.

Chitra Divakaruni is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,089,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible