The One Minute Manager by Kenneth H.…

The One Minute Manager (1982)

by Kenneth H. Blanchard, Spencer Johnson

Series: One Minute

English (21)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (24)
A simple story written in a child-like fashion. The three key points to one minute management could have been summarized into three pages max. You could care less for the characters and their mindless adherence to the author's push of point. Just give me the facts and forget the contrived story. I'd have much more respect for the author if he had done so. ( )
  davepdavis | Jan 23, 2014 |
Laughably oversimplified advice, for the most part very truthful and common sensical, that I'm sure works spectacularly in a healthy, homogeneous, and fully functional society that I'm having a hard time envisioning in today's world. Written in 1981, the type of managerial relationship portrayed here was already gone, it just hadn't evidenced itself yet. The advice contained within actually works better for dealing with children, specifically your own, when it comes to the much-stressed aspect of "touch" and "physical contact," otherwise the manager may be in for one of a dozen potential future lawsuits that I see arising from implementing some of the advice. ( )
  cjyurkanin | May 22, 2013 |
I was asked to read this book by my managers as part of a learning plan. I thought this book was fantastic and read it in a little over an hour. I think this should be required reading for anyone who's in a job that doesn't involve managing one's self. Even if employees and managers/ supervisors don't read the entire book, they could still learn a lot from just having the three keys to one minute managing explained to them. I think this book is so fantastic because of the format it uses, and because you don't need to be a manager to learn or take information from it. This book will benefit you even if you're just an employee because it will help you understand your manager's actions (if they're a good one minute manager) and also learn to not take reprimands so personally. Also, this book could easily be adapted to anyone's life. Setting goals for yourself, checking the progress of those goals, being upfront with people about exactly what you want and expect from them, and letting them know "in no uncertain terms" what they did wrong to upset you are all ways to live a happier, healthier life. The KEY thing that I learned from this book is to not try to catch someone doing wrong, but to try to catch someone doing right. Genious. ( )
  russell.alynn | Apr 16, 2013 |
Rated: B+ ( )
  jmcdbooks | Jan 27, 2013 |
Business, Management
  Tomgraham | Nov 24, 2012 |

Kenneth H. Blanchardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, Spencermain authorall editionsconfirmed
In this brief story, we present you with a great deal of what we have learned from our studies in medicine and in the behavioral sciences about how people work best with other people.

For more than twenty years, millions of managers in Fortune 500 companies and small businesses nationwide have followed The One Minute Manager's techniques, thus increasing their productivity, job satisfaction, and personal prosperity. These very real results were achieved through learning the management techniques that spell profitability for the organization and its employees.

The One Minute Manager is a concise, easily read story that reveals three very practical secrets: One Minute Goals, One Minute Praisings, and One Minute Reprimands.

The book also presents several studies in medicine and the behavioral sciences that clearly explain why these apparently simple methods work so well with so many people. By the book's end you will know how to apply them to your own situation and enjoy the benefits.

That's why The One Minute Manager has continued to appear on business bestseller lists for more than two decades, and has become an international sensation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:53 -0400)

Discover the three secrets that have made a difference for millions of leaders. Nurture greater job satisfaction and creativity through goal setting, coaching, praising and reprimanding or redirecting employees without discrediting their value. Learn core skills critical to developing and managing people. Increase productivity and profits that spill over into personal lives, improving people2s roles as parents, church and civic leaders, and community volunteers.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible