The One Minute Manager by Kenneth H.…

The One Minute Manager (1982)

by Kenneth H. Blanchard, Spencer Johnson

Series: One Minute

English (25)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (28)
I read this over 15 years ago. "What gets rewarded is what gets done." is the one line I remember. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
I really do like these fable business books. They truly work for me. What's impressive with this one is that it's clear that piles and years of research were distilled down to a bare minimum for maximum relayability and efficiency. Certainly I gained a tool or two as I move up the management track in my career. ( )
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
The One Minute Manager
This short book is a classic that everyone should read. It outlines a simplistic approach to management that calls for managers to empower their employees while fostering open and positive communication. This is a book on management, not leadership. There is no information on whether or how a One Minute Manager communicates the company's vision, his own vision, or holds departmental meetings. My highlights:

"The One Minute Manager always makes it clear what our responsibilities are and what we are being held accountable for...(he) feels that a goal, and its performance standard, should take no more than 250 words to express. He insists that anyone be able to read it within a minute."

You create goals for the most important tasks-- for the 20% of your tasks that are 80% of your productivity or key responsibilities. If there is a special project that comes up, you set another concise goal for it. The manager doesn't micromanage, the manager and employee agree upon the goal and it's up to the employee to figure out how best to accomplish it.

One-Minute Praisings:
"Tell people up front that you are going to let them know how they are doing. 2. Praise people immediately. 3. Tell people what they did right—be specific. 4. Tell people how good you feel about what they did right, and how it helps the organization and the other people who work there. 5. Stop for a moment of silence to let them “feel” how good you feel. 6. Encourage them to do more of the same. 7. Shake hands or touch people in a way that makes it clear that you support their success in the organization."

One-Minute Reprimands:
"1. Tell people beforehand that you are going to let them know how they are doing and in no uncertain terms. 2. Reprimand people immediately. 3. Tell people what they did wrong—be specific. 4. Tell people how you feel about what they did wrong—and in no uncertain terms. 5. Stop for a few seconds of uncomfortable silence to let them feel how you feel. 6. Shake hands, or touch them in a way that lets them know you are honestly on their side. 7. Remind them how much you value them. 8. Reaffirm that you think well of them but not of their performance in this situation. 9. Realize that when the reprimand is over, it's over."

Every reprimand has two parts, the initial pointing out of the error and the personal affirmation at the end: "If you are first tough on the behavior, and then supportive of the person, it works."

Goals Begin Behaviors
Consequences Maintain Behavior
Also, the One Minute Manager never repeats himself as that's a waste of valuable time. That'd be nice but most bosses I've had tend to forget both what they've said and what I have previously told them.

justindtapp | Jun 3, 2015 |
If you care for people they'll work for you - and that's the book.

Stages - One minute goal setting (gives the name); immediate and in sync praisings; immediate and in sync reprimands.

The one minute manager does not spend too much time micromanaging, instead only enters at these stages. ( )
  ecoprob | Apr 25, 2015 |
A simple story written in a child-like fashion. The three key points to one minute management could have been summarized into three pages max. You could care less for the characters and their mindless adherence to the author's push of point. Just give me the facts and forget the contrived story. I'd have much more respect for the author if he had done so. ( )
  davepdavis | Jan 23, 2014 |

Kenneth H. Blanchardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, Spencermain authorall editionsconfirmed
In this brief story, we present you with a great deal of what we have learned from our studies in medicine and in the behavioral sciences about how people work best with other people.

Une lecture hautement recommendée à tous les managers actuels et futurs , qui s'est également révélée un excellent support de formation.

For more than twenty years, millions of managers in Fortune 500 companies and small businesses nationwide have followed The One Minute Manager's techniques, thus increasing their productivity, job satisfaction, and personal prosperity. These very real results were achieved through learning the management techniques that spell profitability for the organization and its employees.

The One Minute Manager is a concise, easily read story that reveals three very practical secrets: One Minute Goals, One Minute Praisings, and One Minute Reprimands.

The book also presents several studies in medicine and the behavioral sciences that clearly explain why these apparently simple methods work so well with so many people. By the book's end you will know how to apply them to your own situation and enjoy the benefits.

That's why The One Minute Manager has continued to appear on business bestseller lists for more than two decades, and has become an international sensation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:29 -0400)

Discover the three secrets that have made a difference for millions of leaders. Nurture greater job satisfaction and creativity through goal setting, coaching, praising and reprimanding or redirecting employees without discrediting their value. Learn core skills critical to developing and managing people. Increase productivity and profits that spill over into personal lives, improving people2s roles as parents, church and civic leaders, and community volunteers.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,681,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible