The Dead of Summer by Camilla Way

The Dead of Summer

by Camilla Way

Three teenaged misfits from seriously dysfunctional families spend their summer days together in a series of misadventures that culminate in a horrific act that defies understanding. This is a very unsettling look into the mind of evil disguised as madness. The ending was an unexpected twist. ( )
  pdebolt | Jul 5, 2015 |
Okay - I shouldn't have been surprised at the conclusion to this novel - but I was! What a fascinating first work. This is more of a novella, than a novel - which makes it a great in between read. It was good enough to make me immediately order the author's other book- "Little Birds." However, I have to admit that "Little Birds" didn't hook me in the same way "The Dead of Summer" did. It's almost gothic in a weird way - you have this impending sense of doom, which the structure of the story helps to invoke. I don't want to give away the ending - but Wow! However, as other reviewers have noted - expect to be disturbed in ways you didn't expect. Thought provoking to say the least and an excellent debut! ( )
  Yogamom67 | Jul 6, 2013 |
I found The Dead of Summer to be a chilling and compelling look into the world of three young teenage misfits. In a series of flashbacks we are told the story by Anita. A loner all her life, Anita and her family moved to London from Leeds after the death of her mother in the 1980’s. She doesn’t fit in at school and the only friend she is able to make is Denis, a slightly slow boy. Through Denis she meets Kyle, who lives across the street from her and whom she has already noticed and been attracted to. Kyle is the leader of the group and the other two always follow him.

We are told at the beginning of the book that there was a event that left everyone but Anita dead. As she relates her story to a psychiatrist many years later, she fills in the blanks and we are shown what actually happened that summer. We learn about each of the children’s background, from Denis’s overprotective, religious mother to Kyle’s younger sisters’ disappearance a year earlier. This is a disturbing, yet riveting story that I found very hard to put down. Definitely not a book for the faint-of-heart.

The Dead of Summer is Camilla Way’s debut novel, yet she has produced a well crafted plot that keeps the reader engrossed. Her skilful manipulation keeps the book fresh and unpredictable. There are times when you find a book that really speaks to you, and for whatever reason, this book spoke volumes to me. ( )
4 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jul 15, 2011 |
A great read and gripping right up to the surprising end. This is a deeply unnerving and cleverly written story about 3 teenagers....well 4 really... and one summer in the eighties. All the characters are deeper and more flawed than they first appear. I read this in one sitting as I just couldn't put it down. ( )
  teresa1953 | Aug 13, 2009 |
I am now officially a Camilla Way fan!

Having read Little Bird last month, and now The Dead of Summer, I can't wait to see what Camilla Way writes next. Although similar in some ways, these two books were also wonderfully different and both had me gripped to the end.

The Dead of Summer follows three 13 year olds through the long hot summer holidays as they mooch about, getting into minor scrapes and avoiding the evil bully, Mike.
It is written from the point of view of Anita. She has mixed parentage, lives in a council house and is raised by her Dad after her mother's death.
Her mates Danny and Kyle have similarly difficult backgrounds and the three of them are all potentially social misfits.
Anita is recounting that summer to a child psychologist and as we follow her version of events, we gradually come to realise that all is not as it seems.
The twist at the end was quite a surprise.

Excellent new author, highly recommended! ( )
2 vote DubaiReader | May 21, 2009 |
HOW
How high they build hospitals!

Lighted cliffs, against dawns Of days people will die on. I can see on from here.

How cold winter keeps And long, ignoring Our need now for kindness. Spring has got into the wrong year. How few peoploe are, Held apart by acres Of housing, and children With their shallow violent eyes. -Philip Larkin
Along the back streets, down to the river he took me.

**DEBUT FICTION**

"Admit how your pulse quickens when you see those headlines: murder spree of schoolgirl loner; boy, 13, rapes classmate; child, 10, stabs pensioner." So says narrator Anita Naidu, and she should know. At thirteen, Anita was the sole witness to London’s notorious cave murders of 1986, which left three children dead. Told seven years later to the police psychologist who interviewed her at the time of the killings, Anita’s story reveals the savagery of the schoolyard one chilling detail at a time until the truth of what actually happened reveals itself with startling ferocity. Set against the bustling, tourist-packed streets of historic Greenwich, this novel examines sinister events that happen, quite literally, right below the surface.

An audacious debut, The Dead of Summer is written in spare, evocative prose with remarkable psychological acuity and the daring to examine the dark, intensely fragile point between childhood and adolescence, and the morbid impulses of those mutable years.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:37 -0400)

Anita's mother has just died, the family has moved to a new town and the long school holidays are about to start. Kyle lives across the road from Anita. He says the area between the houses and the river is littered with hidden, disused mines; a perfect playground.But what they don't know is that these mines will form the scene of the most unsettling crime this community has ever known. This summer everything will change. Suggested level: secondary "Admit how your pulse quickens when you see those headlines: murder spree of schoolgirl loner; boy, 13, rapes classmate; child, 10, stabs pensioner." "So says narrator Anita Naidu, and she should know. At thirteen, Anita was the sole witness to London's notorious cave murders of 1986, which left three children dead. Told seven years later to the police psychologist who interviewed her at the time of the killings, Anita's story reveals the savagery of the schoolyard one chilling detail at a time until the truth of what actually happened reveals itself with startling ferocity. Set against the bustling, tourist-packed streets of historic Greenwich, this novel examines sinister events that happen, quite literally, right below the surface." "The Dead of Summer is written in spare, evocative prose with remarkable psychological acuity and the daring to examine the dark, intensely fragile point between childhood and adolescence, and the morbid impulses of those mutable years."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,661,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible