The Sacred Balance: Rediscovering Our Place…

The Sacred Balance: Rediscovering Our Place in Nature (1997)

by David Suzuki

Group D1
  gilsbooks | May 20, 2011 |
59.95
  mbugler | Mar 6, 2011 |
An acclaimed geneticist artfully explains the diverse web of life, our kinship with other species, and the crucial need of our time to make Nature the ultimate concern of society at large and for our personal lives. The modern scientific world view has created an alienation of the spirit, since now matter & spirit are considered completely separate things, when they once were considered as one. How to preserve the scientific method which has so greatly improved our understanding of how the world works, while restoring a sense of the spiritual?

A walk in the garden, for example, may be utterly subjective, but it is through total engagement with the relationships of plants, soil, sun, water, insects, and other garden features, perceived by eye, ear, and physical touch, that we gain an experience that "puts spirit back into the fingertips." Such direct experience in nature allows us to feel that we are whole beings, not merely minds trapped in some sort of bio-mechanical body, allowing us to engage in a true conversation with the Earth.

For the author this is only the beginning, however. He advocates achieving an ecological vision, understanding that a simple tree, for example, is far more than trunk, leaves, and roots, but includes the water that moves through it, the sunlight that sustains it, the earth and air that support it, the insects that fertilize it, the fungi that help it obtain nutrients, and so on. ( )
1 vote pansociety | Oct 15, 2006 |
This book is dedicated with love to Kaoru and Setsu, my parents, who taught me to love nature and to respect my elders; Tamiko, Troy, Laura, Severn and Sarika, my children, who lifted my sight into the future; and Tara, my wife, partner and best friend, who showed me the meaning of love and commitment.
Suppose that 200,000 years ago, biologists from another galaxy searching for life forms in other parts of the universe had discovered Earth and parked their space vehicle above the Rift Valley in Africa.

"Consume and compete!" The message of the economic treadmill is loud and constant. But in this seminal work, David Suzuki argues that the real bottom line, and society's challenge today, is not debts and deficits, but the need to live full and meaningful lives without destroying the Earth's biosphere, which supports all life.

Suzuki explores the physical, social, and spiritual needs that form the basis of any society that aspires to a sustainable future and a high quality life for its citizens.

Those fundamental requirements are rooted in the Earth and its life support systems. They are worthy of reverence and respect; they are sacred.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:30 -0400)

In the ten years since The Sacred Balance was first published, global warming has become a major issue as glaciers and polar ice caps have begun to melt at an alarming rate, populations of polar bears have dwindled, the intensity of hurricanes and tsunamis has drastically increased, coral bleaching is occurring globally, and the earth has experienced its hottest years in over four centuries. In this new and extensively revised and amplified edition of his best-selling book, David Suzuki reflects on these changes and examines what they mean for our place in the world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,241,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible