The Body in the Library (Miss Marple) by…

The Body in the Library (Miss Marple) (original 1942; edition 2010)

by Agatha Christie

Member:brochettes
Title:The Body in the Library (Miss Marple)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: Masterpiece ed, Kindle Edition, 227 pages
Collections:Your library, Ebook
Rating:**1/2

The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie (1942)

English (70)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (76)
Colonel Bantry wakes one morning to find the dead body of young girl completely unbeknownst to him. His wife sees this tragedy not as that but as an opportunity to watch a real-life mystery unfold from a front-row seat. Mrs. Bantry consequently calls on her friend, Miss Marple, to use her amateur sleuthing skills to crack the case.

This is the second Miss Marple book I picked up, and it was interesting to see the changes from the first book in the series. There is now an omniscient third-person narrator and, while I had some quibbles with the vicar narrating first-person in The Murder at the Vicarage, I did find that I missed some of his insights, especially about the characterizations of the people in the village. However, the narration in The Body in the Library allows the reader to get more information from a variety of sources, including the police force and another private detective hired for the case.

The second significant change is that Miss Marple is a bigger character in this book. She is immediately recognized for her ability to solve complex cases and is thus given entry to crime scenes and provided information by the police and the other private detective on the case. The mystery itself is similar to the first one in the series, in that it is sufficiently complex while also basically simple. I didn't guess who the culprit was at all but once revealed, it all made perfect sense.

The various side characters once again made the book. While I didn't necessarily like them per se, they are varied and interesting. Christie has a knack for writing mostly believable characters who display an array of emotions, motives, etc. There is quite a bit of classism in this book, although I'm never quite sure if that is merely a reflection of certain characters' opinions or if it is also a bit of Christie's own thoughts on the matter.

All in all though, I enjoyed this book as a light, quick, and entertaining read. I've put further Miss Marple books on hold for the moment while I catch up on other reading, but I will probably revisit this series again in the near future. For the audiophile, the narrator of this book (Stephanie Cole) was good, but not necessarily great. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Mar 10, 2016 |
Great mystery! The Bantry's wake up to discover the body of a young woman they've never known in their library. Mrs. Bantry calls on the indomitable Miss Marple who uses her knowledge of human nature to solve the crime. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
I was a Poirot girl from the start. I loved his somewhat OCD behaviors and his obsessions with facts and accurate accounts. I know a lot of people like Ms. Marple better, but I'd never read a single Ms. Marple until now. This was my first. I chose it as it kept turning up missing at the library and catching my attention. And as I messed up my "read an Agatha Christie" novel goal earlier this year, I put it right by reading this properly. I expected much of the same--a detective who pays obsessive attention to detail and is called in by police to solve the most mysterious cases. What I got was quite different, and I'm so glad for that! It's amazing that Agatha Christie wrote such clever mysteries in several completely different ways, with such vastly different ways of solving the cases. I should like to have seen the two meet some time and discuss things! heehee

In this story, a body turns up in the library of a private home. Neither homeowner (nor their staff) even recognize the young girl, who has been strangled and dumped there during the night. Curious! The lady of the house calls Ms. Marple, who is a loveable, kind, elderly lady with a keen eye and a most excellent way of recognizing the human character. She seems similarities in characteristics between actions of suspects/players involved and people she's known in her life around the village and what-not. So she can spot when someone has just told a lie or when someone's actions are quite out of the ordinary.

I absolutely loved being wrapped in in the mystery and trying to solve it. I didn't come CLOSE to figuring it out, but the solution was so brilliant and obvious. And Ms. Marple did an amazing yet humble job of making sure the situation was put right. I loved getting to know her here and look forward to seeing her in action in an adaptation of the book next. I will definitely listen to other Marple mysteries in the future! ( )
  katekintail | Feb 8, 2016 |
Miss Marple is a somewhat improbably detective, but since this is a highly unusual Christie, she's not actually doing much until about half way through the book. And then we get to see how wonderfully smart she really is as she manages to use her wonderful judge of human character to sort through this seemingly impossible mystery. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
A dead body is discovered in a library... Miss Marple helps the police discover who committed the murder. A good story with some unexpected twists. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Postif, LouisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tedeschi, AlbertoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Friend Nan
Mrs Bantry was dreaming.
This is the main work for The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie. It should not be combined with any adaptation (e.g., film version), abridgement, or larger work.

Approximately 18 months after Murder at the Vicarage.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 157912626X, Hardcover)

A young, blond woman is found dead on the floor of Colonel and Mrs. Bantry’s library. Nobody seems to know who the woman is, let alone how she wound up murdered in the Bantry’s home. Jane Marple is called in and the chase is on.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:22 -0400)

It's seven in the morning. The Bantrys wake to find the body of a young woman in their library. She is wearing evening dress and heavy make-up, which is now smeared across her cheeks. But who is she? How did she get there? And what's the connection with another dead girl, whose charred remains are later discovered in an abandoned quarry? The respectable Bantrys invite Miss Marple to solve the mystery before tongues start to wag.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,924,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible