The Body in the Library (Miss Marple) by…

The Body in the Library (Miss Marple) (original 1942; edition 2010)

by Agatha Christie

Member:brochettes
Title:The Body in the Library (Miss Marple)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: Masterpiece ed, Kindle Edition, 227 pages
Collections:Your library, Ebook
Rating:**1/2

The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie (1942)

English (57)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (62)
Humor combines with mentation here successfully. ( )
  Oskar_Matzerath | Aug 16, 2014 |
Even though I'd read this book before in a Miss Marple collection, it had been enough time in the past that I didn't remember the big answer to the mystery. Having Stephanie Cole do the narration was another reason I listened to the book. It was excellent for a road trip. ( )
  sriemann | Aug 11, 2014 |
When I first read The Body in the Library, I gave it three and a half stars. The audio version is more difficult to rate. I bought it because of the narrator, Stephanie Cole, whom I like from her other TV and radio work. Her narration was good, very clear with some accents used to try to distinguish some of the characters. But what the audio version pointed out to me, simply by virtue of being an audio, is how repetitive the first few chapters are. They consist of a variety of people all finding out or being told that there's a body in Colonel Bantry's library and then speculating on who it could be and why the body was there. The repetitiveness must have been easier to skim over in print; in audio it was very obvious.

Overall, the book was pleasant to listen to and the ending in particular had me shutting myself up in another room to finish the book in peace, so I shall rate it three stars for the content (knocking a half star off my original rating, for the repetitive beginning) and an extra star for Stephanie Cole's narration. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Mar 29, 2014 |
A Miss Marple story, perhaps not of quite the same tone as the Joan Hickson portrayal on telly, and therefore occasionally slightly jarring, but basically comports with the adaptation. A girl is found murdered in the library of a local squire, but is unknown to everyone in the household. She is, however, known from a nearby hotel, and a cast of characters with their various motivations and jealousies is assembled. An additional murder complicates matters. A solidly plotted and enjoyable tale from Christie. 4 / 5 stars. ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Dec 27, 2013 |

Postif, LouisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tedeschi, AlbertoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Friend Nan
Mrs Bantry was dreaming.
This is the main work for The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie. It should not be combined with any adaptation (e.g., film version), abridgement, or larger work.

Approximately 18 months after Murder at the Vicarage.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 157912626X, Hardcover)

A young, blond woman is found dead on the floor of Colonel and Mrs. Bantry’s library. Nobody seems to know who the woman is, let alone how she wound up murdered in the Bantry’s home. Jane Marple is called in and the chase is on.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:58 -0400)

It's seven in the morning. The Bantrys wake to find the body of a young woman in their library. She is wearing evening dress and heavy make-up, which is now smeared across her cheeks. But who is she? How did she get there? And what's the connection with another dead girl, whose charred remains are later discovered in an abandoned quarry? The respectable Bantrys invite Miss Marple to solve the mystery before tongues start to wag.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,293,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible