The Body in the Library (Miss Marple) by…

The Body in the Library (Miss Marple) (original 1942; edition 2010)

by Agatha Christie

Title:The Body in the Library (Miss Marple)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: Masterpiece ed, Kindle Edition, 227 pages
Collections:Your library, Ebook

The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie (1942)

English (63)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (69)
A highly readable whodunnit. ( )
  cazfrancis | Sep 7, 2015 |
It has been awhile since I have read a Miss Marple mystery. I enjoyed this one very much. I forget how humorous Agatha Christie is as she portrays a village's people and their gossip. Very tongue-in-cheek. I like the lightness of her prose. This is a fun read. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Aug 1, 2015 |
This is one of the first in the Miss Marple series. The body of a young woman is found on the hearth rug in Colonel Bantry's library. Who is she? Who killed her? How did she get there? The Colonel's wife Dolly calls on her friend, Miss Marple, to help the police solve this one, before her husband loses all of his friends. It is classic Agatha Christie. Quite a good mystery wrapped up in a cozy package.

Read November 2014 ( )
  NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |
Miss Marple is definitely the social sleuth, in the sense she finds resemblance of incidents and people with the murders and the characters. Something or someone REMINDS her of something or someone from her years of social experience. The murder-mysteries are often the ones with the simplest motives. But finding the Who-Dun-It aren't that easy for anyone without her knowledge of people's character. However in some ways I do find the crimes differ a lot from present day ones.

She is no Poirot. She is no Holmes. She is a class in herself. I didn't initially like Miss Marple much. But then again I didn't initially like Poirot much either. I think these characters grew on me with time. Or perhaps I am the one who has matured to Christie's sense of society! I really didn't like either of them 10 years back. ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
When the body of an unknown young blonde woman is found in the library of Gossington Hall both Colonel and Mrs. Bantry are completely baffled about how she came to be there. While the police do their investiagtions, Mrs. Bantry solicits the help of Miss Marple to determine just who did commit the murder. The case will bring them to a seaside resort and to the old friend of the Bantrys, Mr. Jefferson, whose complicated relationships may just be at the heart of the matter.

Agatha Christie always hits the spot for me and this one was no exception. Miss Marple's detecting skills are top notch as ever, the mystery is well crafted, and I'm always a sucker for any book that involves a library of any kind. I appreciated that this book used the limited omniscient viewpoint which allowed for the plot to follow multiple characters at once and, of course, leave Miss Marple's conclusions hidden from the reader until the very end. Again, I always enjoy the humour Christie uses in her novels. I particularly got great glee from one of the characters, an afficionado of detective novels, mentioning he had autographs from several mystery writers including Dorothy Sayers and Agatha Christie. An excellent Marple mystery and just great fun all around. ( )
1 vote MickyFine | Feb 4, 2015 |

Postif, LouisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tedeschi, AlbertoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Friend Nan
Mrs Bantry was dreaming.
This is the main work for The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie. It should not be combined with any adaptation (e.g., film version), abridgement, or larger work.

Approximately 18 months after Murder at the Vicarage.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 157912626X, Hardcover)

A young, blond woman is found dead on the floor of Colonel and Mrs. Bantry’s library. Nobody seems to know who the woman is, let alone how she wound up murdered in the Bantry’s home. Jane Marple is called in and the chase is on.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:22 -0400)

It's seven in the morning. The Bantrys wake to find the body of a young woman in their library. She is wearing evening dress and heavy make-up, which is now smeared across her cheeks. But who is she? How did she get there? And what's the connection with another dead girl, whose charred remains are later discovered in an abandoned quarry? The respectable Bantrys invite Miss Marple to solve the mystery before tongues start to wag.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible