The Dirt: Confessions of the World's…

The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band (edition 2001)

by Vince Neil, Neil Strauss, Tommy Lee, Mick Mars, Nikki Sixx1 more, Motley Crue

Member:redcedar
Title:The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band
Authors:Vince Neil
Other authors:Neil Strauss, Tommy Lee, Mick Mars, Nikki Sixx, Motley Crue
Info:HarperEntertainment (2001), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 448 pages

The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band by Mötley Crüe

Recently added bymarkbell, private library, Mziselman, Niksa, kayfray, thinguyens, Linden_Dunham, abbeyhar

English (29)  Finnish (1)  All languages (30)
So, I'll admit, I thought this was one of those books that will never happen.
And I didn't even realize how much I was looking forward to it until I saw the release date three days ago and then spent the next two in anticipation of buying it.

And India Lee does it again. Everything I loved in the first book is back in full force in this one (yes, including the womanizing douchelord aka Liam Brody who is not so womanizing nor is he a douchelord.)

Liam is actually whipped. W H I P P E D. Sure, he has his philandering past and he's pretty unapologetic about it, but gosh I loved him HARD! He was so perfect, so uncomplicated, so IDK, just - well, a hero that didn't actually worry me which is surprising. He just wants to be with Amanda, no matter what. And when everything happened, he still just wanted to be with her.

Amanda is still the lovable, sweet girl from the first book, though it was fun seeing her in this new role.

And of course, shit hits the fan straight away, because there's Casey and this is the Hollywood (but really New York) scene where every one of their moves are being watched, so why the hell not?

I kinda liked how the story was the other way around this book. Liam and Amanda were so damn cute together it was sugary and honey sweet.
AND OMFG. Womanizing Douchelord, Cocky Ass Vibe... I LOVED THESE TWO. SO. MUCH.
Liam stole every scene he was in - one complaint I had about the first book was that he wasn't nearly enough in it. You get to know him pretty well here as well as why he turned out the way he did and I felt for him.
The writing is still engaging and witty, loved all the snippets from the gossip mags and portals (though I think my favorite were all the comments which really rang genuine).

Connor, that JERK. I really hoped he'd come around but UGH.

Also why do I have a feeling he'll be getting a book?

Oh, Ian! I loved this new Ian. He's different, but lol, the same Ian.

Okay, I guess I can't say anymore without spoiling everything.

There are a couple of mildly graphic sex scenes, for those who care. Honestly, I didn't think they were over the top, just right. Definitely didn't make the book about sex.

Anyways, Dirt totally made my day (night, cause I stayed up reading it, lol).
If you haven't read this series, but are looking for something light and entertaining they're definitely that as well as very well written so I more than recommend them.

Sigh, Liamanda. Loved it. ( )
  AriBookzilla | Sep 21, 2013 |
The rock bio by which all other rock bios should be judged.

This book was terrific. I enjoyed it so much, I've read it three times, and each time, I've caught something I didn't really "get" the first few times around.

The four members of Motley Crue, along with others who worked with/for them through the years, write this book together. Each person gets their own chapters, which works wonderfully. We get to hear their stories in their own voices - and it really gets amusing when they're telling the same story but from different points of view. For example, Mick Mars (who comes across as extremely intelligent and quite witty, in a dry, deadpan way) talks about how he used to drink vodka before the shows but the band always thought it was water. Later, in their chapters, the other band members talk about how Mick used to drink vodka before the shows, but thought he had everyone believing it was water, when they knew better the entire time.

They cover everything: their childhoods, the beginning of the band, the shot to stardom, the groupies, the girlfriends, the booze, the drugs, and each other. They bare it all (even the absolutely digusting stuff - Ozzy Osbourne is, or was, quite obviously insane) and tell the truth - even when it comes to each other, and how they've felt about each other over the years. You can understand why they've all hated each other at some point, after learning more about them.

Vince Neil comes across, at times, as a very self-serving, egotistical jackass...but the chapters in which he talks about his daughter's cancer are extremely touching.
Nikki Sixx is actually quite smart and charming, when he's not all whacked out on heroin.
Mick Mars, I mentioned above - very intelligent and quite funny, in his own way.
Tommy Lee is Tommy Lee - sort of an airhead, the goofy "Yeah, dude!" guy you totally expect him to be.

How these guys are still alive, I have no idea - but they're still rocking. They just played a show in my town a week ago.

If you like Motley Crue at all - hell, even if you don't - pick this up. It's an incredible autobiography.
  MSFJones | Apr 1, 2013 |
Althought this book wasn't one that kept me up late, I very much enjoyed the read. I really liked the different viewpoints of each member and the way they were arranged. Some incidents were looked at in extremely different ways buy a number of people. If you are offended by sex, drugs and language then this isn't the book for you. If you are looking for a window into the glam rock of the Crue then read away!! ( )
  kmurray_69 | Mar 13, 2013 |
I guess when you've done it all (and then some), the only thing left to do is to tell the world about it. Much like their albums never winning a Grammy, their book isn't destined for a Pulitzer, but you've got to give the Crue big points for their unabashed candor. Guaranteed to offend just about everyone, but it's an interesting read anyway. If you ever bought your daughter a concert ticket to their show or gave her a lift to the concert, you might want to skip it though. ( )
  dele2451 | Dec 5, 2012 |
To quote Sebastian Bach "The Dirt is the greatest book ever written by people." ( )
  RockStarNinja | Nov 15, 2011 |
But band quality has no correlation to quality reading experience. And as good as those other books may be, The Dirt is the singularly greatest sex/drugs/rock reading experience of our age. It's one of the all-time great rock bios. Not one sentence in its 448 pages is about Motley's music, which is even more impressive, and I guess appropriate.
added by bongiovi | editNPR, Charles Bock (Jan 11, 2010)

Mötley Crüeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, Tommymain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mars, Mickmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neil, Vincemain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sixx, Nikkimain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strauss, Neilsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nilsson, NiclasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The most influential, enduring, and iconic metal band of the 1980's reveals everything a tell-all of epic proportions.

This unbelievable autobiography explores the rebellious lives of four of the most influential icons in American rock history.

Motley Crue was the voice of a barely pubescent Generation X, the anointed high priests of backward-masking pentagram rock, pioneers of Hollywood glam, and the creators of MTV's first "power ballad." Their sex lives claimed celebrities from Heather Locklear to Pamela Anderson to Donna D'Errico. Their scuffles involved everyone from Axl Rose to 2LiveCrew. Their hobbies have included collecting automatic weapons, cultivating long arrest records, pushing the envelope of conceivable drug abuse, and dreaming up backstage antics that would make Ozzy Osbourne blanch with modesty.

Provocatively written and brilliantly designed, this book includes over 100 photos, many never before published, for the most exciting and insightful look ever into the Crue.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:47 -0400)

A chronicle of the career of Mtley Cre, one of rock music's most provocative and notorious bands, provides an insider's view of rock stardom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,283,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible