The Dirt: Confessions of the World's…

The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band (edition 2001)

by Vince Neil, Tommy Lee, Motley Crue, Mick Mars, Nikki Sixx1 more, Neil Strauss

Member:redcedar
Title:The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band
Authors:Vince Neil
Other authors:Tommy Lee, Motley Crue, Mick Mars, Nikki Sixx, Neil Strauss
Info:HarperEntertainment (2001), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 448 pages

The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band by Mötley Crüe

English (29)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (32)
The first part of this book is NASTY! (maybe 1/4 of the way?) One reviewer (professional) wrote, "once you read this book, you will never feel clean again" and that's exactly how I felt! I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it all the way through, but I couldn't put it down.

It's interesting reading each band member's (and others) different POV's. I did feel very embarrassed and sad for them at the "end" of their run as the world's greatest rock band, when they tried to tour with a new singer and not Vince. And even if they DID tour with Vince at that time, I'm pretty sure it still would have been a sad turnout. (When rock was dying out and Grunge was in.)

Not sure I'd read this book again, but it was good! It's disgusting how they treat and view women though. And it's sickening what a lot of women would do, just to be with them! ick!

It also made me look at Pam Anderson a bit differently (drama-lady!), and surprisingly, Tommy in a little "better" light! ( )
  GettinBetter | Jun 27, 2016 |
Talk about the dregs of humanity. At this point in my life, I hold no illusions that the rock stars of my teen years are secretly chivalrous, tender-hearted gentlemen. But I wasn't quite prepared for just how very awful they were (and maybe still are).

Like eating Twinkies, there is absolutely nothing of value to come from reading this. Death, jail, familial chaos, degenerative disease, & the looming threat of financial ruin are not enough by themselves - or altogether! - to get any of these guys to truly straighten up. There will always be some booze, some drugs, and/or some chick that can derail their lives in an instant.

Yet as repulsive as each and every one of the episodes in this tale was, I couldn't put it down. It was like reading an episode of Jerry Springer. Once you give it two minutes, it owns you 'til it's done with you.

I like reading/watching rock docs/bios, because the myth is deconstructed: you can get a glimpse of the real person. The Dirt TOTALLY deconstructs these guys, making it clear that no one should have gone anywhere near any of them until about 1997, or maybe never. Reading this book will reinforce any parent's fear of their kids going to concerts or wanting to be rock stars.

That being said, if you think you want to read this, if you think you can handle it, you should pick it up. You'll be enthralled & tear through it quick as you can. ( )
1 vote LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
The rock bio by which all other rock bios should be judged.

This book was terrific. I enjoyed it so much, I've read it three times, and each time, I've caught something I didn't really "get" the first few times around.

The four members of Motley Crue, along with others who worked with/for them through the years, write this book together. Each person gets their own chapters, which works wonderfully. We get to hear their stories in their own voices - and it really gets amusing when they're telling the same story but from different points of view. For example, Mick Mars (who comes across as extremely intelligent and quite witty, in a dry, deadpan way) talks about how he used to drink vodka before the shows but the band always thought it was water. Later, in their chapters, the other band members talk about how Mick used to drink vodka before the shows, but thought he had everyone believing it was water, when they knew better the entire time.

They cover everything: their childhoods, the beginning of the band, the shot to stardom, the groupies, the girlfriends, the booze, the drugs, and each other. They bare it all (even the absolutely digusting stuff - Ozzy Osbourne is, or was, quite obviously insane) and tell the truth - even when it comes to each other, and how they've felt about each other over the years. You can understand why they've all hated each other at some point, after learning more about them.

Vince Neil comes across, at times, as a very self-serving, egotistical jackass...but the chapters in which he talks about his daughter's cancer are extremely touching.
Nikki Sixx is actually quite smart and charming, when he's not all whacked out on heroin.
Mick Mars, I mentioned above - very intelligent and quite funny, in his own way.
Tommy Lee is Tommy Lee - sort of an airhead, the goofy "Yeah, dude!" guy you totally expect him to be.

How these guys are still alive, I have no idea - but they're still rocking. They just played a show in my town a week ago.

If you like Motley Crue at all - hell, even if you don't - pick this up. It's an incredible autobiography.
1 vote MSFJones | Apr 1, 2013 |
Althought this book wasn't one that kept me up late, I very much enjoyed the read. I really liked the different viewpoints of each member and the way they were arranged. Some incidents were looked at in extremely different ways buy a number of people. If you are offended by sex, drugs and language then this isn't the book for you. If you are looking for a window into the glam rock of the Crue then read away!! ( )
1 vote kmurray_69 | Mar 13, 2013 |
I guess when you've done it all (and then some), the only thing left to do is to tell the world about it. Much like their albums never winning a Grammy, their book isn't destined for a Pulitzer, but you've got to give the Crue big points for their unabashed candor. Guaranteed to offend just about everyone, but it's an interesting read anyway. If you ever bought your daughter a concert ticket to their show or gave her a lift to the concert, you might want to skip it though. ( )
1 vote dele2451 | Dec 5, 2012 |
But band quality has no correlation to quality reading experience. And as good as those other books may be, The Dirt is the singularly greatest sex/drugs/rock reading experience of our age. It's one of the all-time great rock bios. Not one sentence in its 448 pages is about Motley's music, which is even more impressive, and I guess appropriate.
added by bongiovi | editNPR, Charles Bock (Jan 11, 2010)

Mötley Crüeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, Tommymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mars, Mickmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Neil, Vincemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sixx, Nikkimain authorall editionsconfirmed
Strauss, Neilsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nilsson, NiclasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The most influential, enduring, and iconic metal band of the 1980's reveals everything a tell-all of epic proportions.

This unbelievable autobiography explores the rebellious lives of four of the most influential icons in American rock history.

Motley Crue was the voice of a barely pubescent Generation X, the anointed high priests of backward-masking pentagram rock, pioneers of Hollywood glam, and the creators of MTV's first "power ballad." Their sex lives claimed celebrities from Heather Locklear to Pamela Anderson to Donna D'Errico. Their scuffles involved everyone from Axl Rose to 2LiveCrew. Their hobbies have included collecting automatic weapons, cultivating long arrest records, pushing the envelope of conceivable drug abuse, and dreaming up backstage antics that would make Ozzy Osbourne blanch with modesty.

Provocatively written and brilliantly designed, this book includes over 100 photos, many never before published, for the most exciting and insightful look ever into the Crue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:19 -0400)

A chronicle of the career of Mtley Cre, one of rock music's most provocative and notorious bands, provides an insider's view of rock stardom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,871,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible