Caught in the Light by Robert Goddard

Caught in the Light (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Robert Goddard

Member:crimson-tide
Title:Caught in the Light
Authors:Robert Goddard
Info:Corgi Books (1998), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 444 pages
Tags:fiction, crime

Caught in the light by Robert Goddard (1998)

Ian Jarrett is visiting Vienna on a photography assignment when he meets a beautiful woman named Marian Esguard and falls madly in love. He plans to go back to England and end his strained marriage, while Marian tells her husband she's leaving him too. When Marian sends him a note telling him she's not coming and destroys all the photos he took of her, he can't let her go. Robert Goddard then spins the reader into an intricate plot, while weaving the intrigue and suspense of the story line.

The characters and events are brilliantly put together. Robert Goddard has a unique style of writing that completely mesmerized me and kept me guessing from beginning to end. If you haven't read a Robert Goddard novel before, I urge you to pick one up. He's an amazing writer. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Sep 6, 2016 |
Book Description
On assignment in Vienna, photographer Ian Jarrett falls desperately in love with a woman he meets by chance, Marian Esguard. Back in England, he breaks up with his wife and goes to meet Marian at an agreed rendezvous. Marian fails to show.

Searching desperately for her, he stumbles on a Dorset churchyard full of the gravestones of dead Esguards. He also meets a psychotherapist, Daphne Sanger. She too is looking for someone: a former patient who has come to believe she is the reincarnation of Marion Esguard, who lived in Regency times and, it emerges, may have invented photography ten years before Fox Talbot. But if so, why is she unknown to history? And where is the woman he met in Vienna?

Ian sets out to solve a mystery that may be 170 years old. At the end of his search a trap awaits him. There is a twist at the end of Caught in the Light that is Robert Goddard's most cunning to date.

My Review
I love Goddard's writing and found this book to be rather unique. I think this one was very different from his other books because it seemed like a supernatural/ghost-like plot and he doesn't usually tell that type of story. He also kept us guessing until the last page. I read this with a discussion group and I looked forward to reading each and every section as I was very curious what was really going on. I now look forward to my next Goddard book as I can't get enough of his storytelling. I highly recommend this book to those who love historical mystery thrillers. ( )
  EadieB | Aug 23, 2016 |
This is my first time reading a book by Robert Goddard. Other members of my reading group, who are familiar with his writing, were better prepared for some of the twists and deviations we took in this book. 

Ian, a photographer on assignment in Vienna meets a mysterious woman, Marian. After they begin a whirlwind affair, the decision is made to leave their respective spouses. Ian returns to England, breaks up with his wife and heads to the proposed rendezvous. Marian fails to show and, worse, appears to have never been real. Ian begins his search for Marian and along the way learns more about Marian as well as himself.

Overall, the book was well-written with an interesting story and fascinating historical detail and I look forward to reading more by Mr. Goddard.

Rating: 4.0 ( )
  bhabeck | Aug 23, 2016 |
Not a very ordinary page turning thriller. After meeting a wonan in Vienna, Ian can't let her go. The consequenses of his choice made during that brief working trip are elaborated in the rest of the book. For me, Goddard did well, though at a slow page of a few pages every night, the book never failed to keep my attention with the interesting plot. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Nov 5, 2014 |
psychological suspense, photography ( )
  martitia | Apr 29, 2014 |
I was in Vienna to take photographs.

1st edition paperback, fine

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

A mystery on a photographer in today's Britain who leaves his wife for another woman, only to have the woman disappear. He searches for her and finds her grave, the dates indicating she lived in the 19th century. A reincarnation or an impostor?

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,217,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible