El Manuscrito Samurai by Robert Crais

El Manuscrito Samurai (edition 2007)

by Robert Crais

Member:zaridja
Title:El Manuscrito Samurai
Authors:Robert Crais
Info:Zeta Bolsillo (2007), Paperback, 245 páginas
Rating:*****
Tags:Joe Pike, Elvis Cole, yakuza, Los Angeles, novela negra

Stalking the Angel by Robert Crais

Elvis Cole grew on me a bit throughout the book. I would have liked to have more Joe Pike involved. There was nothing to get really excited about in this book other than references to the decade in which I graduated from high school. It was long stretch of time between the first and the second book. I suspect that if I do the next one I will need another equally long stretch of time. ( )
  she_climber | Apr 25, 2014 |

Blurb....

Bradley Warren had lost something very valuable, something that belonged to someone else: a rare thirteenth-century Japanese manuscript called the Hagakure.

Everything PI Elvis Cole knew about Japanese culture he'd learned from reading SHOGUN, but he knew a lot of crooks - and what he didn't know, his sidekick Joe Pike did.

Together, Cole and Pike begin their search in L.A.'s Little Tokyo, the nest of the notorious Japanese mafia, the Yakuza - and find themselves caught up in a white-knuckled adventure filled with madness, murder and sexual obsession. Just another day's work for Elvis Cole...

Hot on the heels of the first Crais/Elvis Cole novel I read on Saturday, the second instalment was done and dusted on the following day. Don’t you just love weekends where you can pretty much just chill and do nothing but read? I’ll have to make the most of them, because in a month or so, with spring around the corner I’ll no doubt be cutting the grass or trimming trees or painting the shed.

Anyway.....Cole gets hired to recover a valuable Japanese manuscript recording the warrior code of the Samurai; the Hagakure. His employer, Bradley Warren is a successful, driven businessman, married to a wife with a penchant for daytime boozing and a daughter, Mimi he seemingly has no connection to either. Warren, unlikeable from the off needs the manuscript found to placate his Japanese trading partners.

Cole in pursuit of the script in Little Tokyo crosses words with the Japanese Yakuza and manages to annoy several branches of law enforcement along the way. After ignoring threats to his family, Warren fires Cole after the kidnapping of his daughter. Cole feeling responsibility towards the unhappy girl persists in investigating the crimes, now more focused on recovering the girl instead of the book.

Pike, the enigmatic partner assists as does Warren’s previously aloof assistant. Cole tracks Mimi down and there the story endeths...........err, not really as Crais burdens Cole with a heavier load to resolve.

Entertaining and enjoyable, but slightly less so than The Monkey’s Raincoat as far as this reader was concerned.

Still merits a 4 from 5 rating.

I bought my copy new, back in the days when my hair was its original colour and my waistband considerably smaller.

col2910 | Apr 17, 2014 |
### From Wikipedia

Stalking the Angel is a 1989 detective novel by Robert Crais. It is the second in a series of linked novels centering on the private investigator Elvis Cole. Read more - Shopping-Enabled Wikipedia on Amazon

### From Publishers Weekly

Undoubtedly prompted by the success of recent Crais bestsellers (Demolition Angel; Hostage), his audio publishers have gone back to the second book in his increasingly popular Elvis Cole series, originally published in 1989, for a lively and colorful outing that manages to capture much of the author's early innocence and freshness. Stuart brings the quirky Cole to life quickly, combining his strengths (tenacity, incorruptibility, frequent flashes of humor) with his oddities (his love of the Disney artifacts that litter his office) to make a credible whole person. Other characters emerge with equal vocal skill: the enigmatic Joe Pike, Cole's muscular sidekick; a glowering Los Angeles property developer, his alcohol-impaired wife and their fragile adolescent daughter, who winds up being kidnapped by Japanese gangsters. Cole, hired to find a rare Japanese manuscript, discovers that the teenager's fate is very important to him personally forging a bond between the detective and children in peril that has become a hallmark of the series. For those who have been fans of Elvis since book one, The Monkey's Raincoat, it's good to have his early adventures around to listen to. For more recent Crais converts, this could prove an eye-opening revelation of how Cole got to be who he is. Based on the Bantam mass market.

Copyright 2001 Cahners Business Information, Inc.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
The second book in the Elvis Cole series is definitely a step forward from the first one maybe a few too many wisecracks from Elvis while his partner, Joe Pike, comes across as too one-dimensional perhaps cliched. The novel picks up pace in the last third as the chase unfolds but doesn't become predictable and of course in the end like all other PI's he gets the girl - but not until the last page. Doesn't quite wrap up all the loose ends but doesn't leave you feeling dissatisfied. On to the next in the series.
  johnbsheridan | Apr 26, 2013 |
Noir, crime-detective story that struggles to rise above the glib dialogue. I finished the whole book, hoping, perhaps, that things will get more interesting. The LA backdrop lulled me into thinking this would be like a Mickey Haller tale, but alas, just didn't pan out. I may look again at another Crais book as there is promise here, but it may be awhile. ( )
1 vote ricaustria | Apr 5, 2013 |
I love to hear the story
which angel voices tell.
- The Littler Corporal
  Emily Miller

When all the truth is found to be lies,
and all the joy within you dies,
don't you want somebody to love?
-Jefferson Airplane
For Lauren, whose parents will always love her, & for Carol and Bill, who have made me larger by sharing their lives.
I was standing on my head in the middle of my office when the door opened and the best looking woman I'd seen in three weeks walked in.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553286447, Mass Market Paperback)

Hired by a hotel magnate to locate a priceless Japanese manuscript, L.A. private eye Elvis Cole encounters the notorious Yakuza, the Japanese Mob, and is drawn into a game of sexual obsession, amorality, and evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:00 -0400)

Bradley Warren had lost something very valuable, something that belonged to someone else: a rare thirteenth century Japanese manuscript called the Hagakure. Everything PI Elvis Cole knew about Japanese culture he'd learned from reading Shogun, but he knew a lot of crooks and what he didn't know, his sociopathic sidekick Joe Pike did. Together their search begins in LA's Little Tokyo and the nest of the notorious Japanese mafia, the Yakuza, and leads to a white knuckled adventure filled with madness, murder and sexual obsession just another day's work for Elvis Cole.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,256,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible