Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by…

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (1972)

by Roald Dahl

Series: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2)

Recently added bymathsie, private library, AISTirana, scodenton, HappyKids, mrs_pierce, MacMasterFamily

Although not as good as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the Great Glass Elevator still is entertaining and has much the same sensibility. It begins exactly where the Chocolate Factory ended, with Willy Wonka and the entire Bucket family in the great glass elevator--and three of the grandparents still in bed where they stay for most of this book as well. It begins with a science fiction adventure as the glass elevator goes into orbit, encounters deadly space creatures, and saves a bunch of astronauts. The second half centers around Wonka-vita and Vita-Wonk, drugs that can make you multiples of twenty years younger and twenty years older. In Chocolate Factory fashion the grandparents take various combinations of these, ignoring all directions and common decency, end up temporarily punished by bearing the consequences of their actions, but eventually all recover. As in the first book, Charlie is the decent enthusiastic one. It ends with them all heading off to meet the President of the United States.

What makes this book less special than Chocolate Factory is that it does not have the same timeless, mythical style but feels a little more dated in a time and place (especially with the many scenes with the U.S. President). And Charlie is a more static character, beginning and ending the book with much the same understanding and wonder but not really learning or discovering much along the way. And Grandpa Joe is more absent. So it is less a sequel in which everything develops further and more a spinoff that takes a bunch of familiar characters on a new adventure. But it is certainly a great adventure. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
Well, that was racist. Nonetheless, onto more Dahl! ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |
I want an elevator like this. All the same, not as good as the first. ( )
  Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |
I enjoyed this follow-up to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory way back in elementary school, though it didn't have quite the charm of "Chocolate Factory." It reminds me of the Harry Potter series that way, in that I enjoyed all of the Potter books, but the very first one had a special charm in introducing me to that special world. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
After we read the Chocolate Factory, we naturally wanted to know, what was next.
But... it was a bit too much to take for my little boy with his over active fantasy. After the arrival on the planet in space, his imagination worked overtime. Therefore we stopped for a while.
One year later we read it again, and now he also saw / heard the humor instead of only the alien things in the book.
We both liked it less than the first novel. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOr my daughters Tessa Ophelia Lucy and for my godson Edmund Pollinger
The last time we saw Charlie, he was riding high above his home town in the Great Glass Elevator.

Who'd ever think a poor British boy would ever go to space, ride in an incredible glass elevator, or even have an negative two year old grandmother! These are only a few of the many challenges Charlie will face. You can pick up where the first book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, left off. Join Charlie, his four grandparents, his parents, and of course, Mr. Wonka for an unforgettable story readers of all ages will love!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410322, Paperback)

Picking right up where Charlie and the Chocolate Factory left off, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator continues the adventures of Charlie Bucket, his family, and Willy Wonka, the eccentric candy maker. As the book begins, our heroes are shooting into the sky in a glass elevator, headed for destinations unknown. What follows is exactly the kind of high-spirited magical madness and mayhem we've all come to expect from Willy Wonka and his creator Roald Dahl. The American space race gets a send-up, as does the President, and Charlie's family gets a second chance at childhood. Throw in the Vermicious Knids, Gnoolies, and Minusland and we once again witness pure genius. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:59 -0400)

Taking up where Charlie and the Chocolate Factory leaves off, Charlie, his family, and Mr. Wonka find themselves launched into space in the great glass elevator.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141322691, 0141807806, 0141333170

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,543,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible