Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by…

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (1972)

by Roald Dahl

Series: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2)

I can’t remember much about "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator", as I read it when at primary school, but I do recall how popular Roald Dahl was with most if not all of the class. For that reason I’m rating this four stars and hope I’m not being unjustified.

I either read this or had it read to me (the equivalent to an audio book) or both somewhere from 1983-85, thus I’ve put 1984 as reading dates as an average. I will have read/heard a few of Mr Dahl’s books during this period, of which some titles I can’t remember at all, but this one I would have read because I was a fan of the previous Charlie book.

If I had to or wanted to re-read any children’s books for some reason or other then I’d definitely opt for works by this author. All these years on and he’s left a very faint yet happy memories in the back of my mind. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Feb 5, 2015 |
I read this aloud to my kids. They loved it almost as much as they loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but I wasn't as impressed. This one took a kind of strange sci-fi turn, which is fine, but I like it better when the story focuses on foodstuffs. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Nov 6, 2014 |
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Roald Dahl is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Oh no... this is proof most authors should stick with one book and not go on creating duologies, trilogies or whatever. Because Charlie and the Great Glass Elevater, my friends, was totally unnecessary. After giving the first book a big 5 star rating, I instantly picked up this one and was dissappointed.
It's not that the story isn't good, it's just that in comparison to the first one it doesn't even come close in terms of greatness. Whilst the first one is a wonderful story, this one is just trying to be as weird as possible. This could have easily been resumed and put into the first volume.
I didn't find their time in space enjoyable to read, neither was I overly excited about the descriptions about the aging pills. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOr my daughters Tessa Ophelia Lucy and for my godson Edmund Pollinger
The last time we saw Charlie, he was riding high above his home town in the Great Glass Elevator.

Who'd ever think a poor British boy would ever go to space, ride in an incredible glass elevator, or even have an negative two year old grandmother! These are only a few of the many challenges Charlie will face. You can pick up where the first book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, left off. Join Charlie, his four grandparents, his parents, and of course, Mr. Wonka for an unforgettable story readers of all ages will love!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410322, Paperback)

Picking right up where Charlie and the Chocolate Factory left off, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator continues the adventures of Charlie Bucket, his family, and Willy Wonka, the eccentric candy maker. As the book begins, our heroes are shooting into the sky in a glass elevator, headed for destinations unknown. What follows is exactly the kind of high-spirited magical madness and mayhem we've all come to expect from Willy Wonka and his creator Roald Dahl. The American space race gets a send-up, as does the President, and Charlie's family gets a second chance at childhood. Throw in the Vermicious Knids, Gnoolies, and Minusland and we once again witness pure genius. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:59 -0400)

Taking up where Charlie and the Chocolate Factory leaves off, Charlie, his family, and Mr. Wonka find themselves launched into space in the great glass elevator.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141322691, 0141807806, 0141333170

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,167,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible