Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by…

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (original 1972; edition 1972)

by Roald Dahl

Member:grunin
Title:Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
Authors:Roald Dahl
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (1972), Edition: [1st ed.], Hardcover
Tags:Fiction, p

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (1972)

Sequel to 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory', and best read after that as it would be very odd as a stand-alone. It's bizarre enough anyway - and, in my view, a bit disappointing in that it tells us very little about what happens to the Bucket family after Charlie's windfall at the end of the first book.

Instead, much of this book takes place in space, where some most unpleasant aliens are encountered. There's some humour, inevitably, and the pace is good; but once this section has passed, and the elevator returns the family to the chocolate factory, it goes downhill fast (in my view).

However my four-year-old grandson loves everything by Dahl, and although he's heard this at least twice before, asked me to read it to him after finishing 'Charlie and the Chocolate factory'. I'm sure quite a bit went over his head, but it didn't matter. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Sep 7, 2018 |
This sequel was really cute, but at the same time... You sit wondering what the HELL is going on. It is very trippy and weird, but that is the spirit of Dahl i guess. :) ( )
  marie2830 | Sep 2, 2018 |
Fantastic story. The audio version has a special appeal due to the drama in the reader's voice and tone. This is a great book when you need a laugh at ridiculousness that sometimes is pretty close to real life (at least in August 2017).
  deldevries | May 11, 2018 |
This is not my favorite book by Dahl. I haven't liked it since I was in 3rd grade. But, my kids chose it as their bedtime book, so I suffered through it again. Basically, there are two episodes, the Glass Elevator encounter with Vermicious Knids and the Wonka-Vite/Vita-Wonk debacle with Charlie's 3 bed-ridden grandparents. Thankfully, Dahl is enough of a storyteller to sort of pull it altogether in the end. Still not our favorite. We're moving on to The Witches. ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |
I don't have nearly enough suspension of disbelief to make most of Dahl's work palatable. This is no exception. It's ridiculous without being funny and stupid without being interesting. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 10, 2017 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my daughters Tessa Ophelia Lucy and for my godson Edmund Pollinger
The last time we saw Charlie, he was riding high above his home town in the Great Glass Elevator.

Who'd ever think a poor British boy would ever go to space, ride in an incredible glass elevator, or even have an negative two year old grandmother! These are only a few of the many challenges Charlie will face. You can pick up where the first book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, left off. Join Charlie, his four grandparents, his parents, and of course, Mr. Wonka for an unforgettable story readers of all ages will love!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410322, Paperback)

Picking right up where Charlie and the Chocolate Factory left off, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator continues the adventures of Charlie Bucket, his family, and Willy Wonka, the eccentric candy maker. As the book begins, our heroes are shooting into the sky in a glass elevator, headed for destinations unknown. What follows is exactly the kind of high-spirited magical madness and mayhem we've all come to expect from Willy Wonka and his creator Roald Dahl. The American space race gets a send-up, as does the President, and Charlie's family gets a second chance at childhood. Throw in the Vermicious Knids, Gnoolies, and Minusland and we once again witness pure genius. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:54 -0400)

Taking up where Charlie and the Chocolate Factory leaves off, Charlie, his family, and Mr. Wonka find themselves launched into space in the great glass elevator.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141322691, 0141807806, 0141333170

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,967,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible