Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka, Vol. 2 by Naoki…

Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka, Vol. 2 (edition 2009)

by Naoki Urasawa

Title:Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka, Vol. 2
Authors:Naoki Urasawa
Info:VIZ Media LLC (2009), Edition: Original, Paperback, 200 pages
Tags:Astro Boy, Fiction, Graphic Literature, Greatest Robot on Earth, Manga, Pluto, Science Fiction, Speculative Fiction, ^_^

Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 2 by Naoki Urasawa

English (4)  French (1)  All languages (5)

“Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 002” by Naoki Urasawa and Takashi Nagasaki is the second book in an eight-book science fiction manga series Pluto. The whole series is based on “The Greatest Robot on Earth,” the most popular story arc in Astro Boy series by a legendary manga master Osamu Tezuka.

After realizing that the mysterious killer is after the seven great robots of the world, detective Gesicht sets on a mission to warn each of the targets personally. When Gesicht meets Atom, a.k.a. Astro Boy, Atom reads through Gesicht’s memory chip in order to help move the case forward. Meanwhile, another one of the seven great robots of the world, Brando, decides to face the villain on his own.

1) It’s getting interesting…
“Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 002” is as quick and entertaining as the first book in the series; plus, the speed of the story is picking up as the puzzle pieces slowly start coming together.

2) Background information.
In my review of “Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 001,” I complained that the protagonist, detective Gesicht, is rather boring. Although in the second volume he is still quite passive, it looks like there is more to his story than it seems at the beginning. In “Pluto, Volume 002” the authors also reveal some background details about the political climate in Pluto world, making the story more plausible and much more engaging.

3) More realistic.
While reading the first volume, I had a hard time wrapping my head around the premise of humanlike robots. Well, I might have gotten used to the idea, but I also think that in the second book it is presented more realistically, and the authors even offer some explanation (robots mimic people in hopes of becoming more humanlike, and in most successful cases the line between man and robot starts to blur).

1) Static and colorless illustrations.
No matter how gorgeous Urasawa’s artwork is, I still find it too static for a comic book (see my previous review for a more detailed comment). Plus, the ten first pages with colored illustrations look SO MUCH better than the rest of book, which is in black and white…

VERDICT: 3.5 out of 5

“Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 002” by Naoki Urasawa and Takashi Nagasaki is more realistic and even more engaging than the first volume, though I really wish the illustrations were colorful and more dynamic. Anyways, on to the next volume, woot woot! ( )
1 vote AgneJakubauskaite | Mar 23, 2015 |
This story has gotten better. Volume 2 allows us to get to know Atom a bit. He is far more than he appears, which is to say, he appears to be a little boy. He is also a robot, but he is so realistic that he often fools/confuses other robots. He has many of the same natural longings as any other kid. There is such a seem less, if not disconcerting blending of robot and human vharacternistics in this tale it is difficult for me to keep it straight, to remember who is real and who is not a real human. This also forces an examination of the idea of humanity, and what qualifies.
Another strong and important robot has been destroyed and we still don't know who the killer is. We have established however that the seven most powerful robots living/existing in the world are being targeted for destruction. What we don't know is who or what is targeting them.
The case continues. Also added to the mix here is the revelation that the main character and detective in charge of solving these "murders" happens to be among the seven being targeted.
More importantly and strangely, he is unaware of this as it appears his memories have been tampered with.
On to volume 3. ( )
  khaalidah | Mar 14, 2014 |
This is fine for what it is. I guess it's just not my thing. I don't need to read anymore in this series. ( )
  CaliSoleil | Mar 5, 2014 |
This series is not something you can just pass up if you are a manga reader, beginner or veteran. The characters are believable, the art is fantastic and best of all, the story is incredible. This second volume brings more to light regarding the mysterious murders and offers more look into Atom himself.

I would feel very sad for anyone who passed this up. ( )
  MistStalker | Oct 16, 2009 |

Naoki Urasawaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cook, JaredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schodt, Frederik L.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

"An advocate for robot rights and a renowned European robot have been murdered. Gesicht, the detective assigned to the case, has deduced that the killer is targeting the great robots of the world - which means that he too is one of the targets. Gesicht takes it upon himself to warn the potential targets, and Atom, the famous boy robot from Japan is next on his list."--P.[4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,965,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible