dismiss

The Republic of Thieves

by Scott Lynch

Series: The Gentleman Bastards Sequence (3)

After their adventures on the high seas, Locke and Jean are brought back to earth with a thump. Jean is mourning the loss of his lover and Locke must live with the fallout of crossing the all-powerful magical assassins, the Bonds Magi. It is a fallout that will pit both men against Locke's own long-lost love. Sabetha is Locke's childhood sweetheart, the love of Locke's life and now it is time for them to meet again. Employed on different sides of a vicious dispute between factions of the Bonds, Sabetha has just one goal - to destroy Locke for ever. The Gentleman Bastard sequence has become a literary sensation in fantasy circles and now, with the third book, Scott Lynch is set to seal that success.… (more)

Have you ever noticed how romantic thieves are? Robin Hood, The Thief Lord, The Book Thief etc etc. Most readers really like thieves and I am one of them so that is what made me pick up this book. So naturally I did this backwards and read the 3rd book in a series instead of starting at number 1 like a normal person.
What I liked:

I loved Locke and Jean - I really enjoyed the witty banter (“Lick the vingigar out of my ass crack” is my new fav insult), and how the author portrayed their friendship
I liked how the book was almost 2 stories in one. The main plot is happening in the present day where Locke and Jean are up against Sabetha in a plot to fix an election for the Magi. The second plot is told in flashbacks and goes back to when they were all learning together as young thieves and how they helped a theatre company get back on it’s feet.
Sabetha’s character was great most of the time. She’s smart , witty and always 1 step ahead of Locke
What I didn’t Like:

The beginning was a little slow and almost lost me as a reader, but I think some of that comes from the fact that I started with the 3rd book instead of the 1st.
Sabetha did get annoying. She was all over the place emotion wise and has a bad habit of just running away from her troubles (JUST KISS HIM ALREADY!!!)
We’re hinted too that Locke is more than what he seems but that area of the book was just confusing and almost unnecessary - But again, I started at the end and not the beginning so that might have something to do with it. ( )
  artdamnit_reads | Jul 29, 2020 |
This novel had more of the feel of the first one, for obvious sub-plot/mirroring action, and it was a real page-turner. It had great sub-stories and the development of the characters was practically foretold in the previous novels. The foils were delicious, and there were many of them to chew on throughout the novel. The whole thing was very satisfying and delightful, and fortunately, the questions and rising action only grows. This novel was very well crafted and emotionally engaging, and of course it was great to see Locke squirm and wonder how the hell he'd choose that woman. Granted, she has her charms, but Locke is a real masochist. It was so bad that it was sweet.

I seriously can't wait for the next novel. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
More of Locke's past is revealed in this book but the more we learn the more questions pop up. This is the weakest of the three books so far but ends up setting the fourth book for what I hope is going to be really good ( )
  Shack70 | Feb 23, 2020 |
Entertaining, but not as strong as the first two. Less like "The Sting" and more like April Fool's Day in the schemes that are the hallmark of this series. That said, I'll read the next one. ( )
  tombrown | Feb 21, 2020 |
The Republic of Thieves is the third entry in the Gentleman Bastards sequence by Scott Lynch. The book opens with Locke Lamora and Jean Tannen reeling from events in Red Seas as Locke slowly and painfully succumbs to poison while a frantic Jean is unable to find a cure. Their salvation comes from an unlikely source: a Bondsmagi. The Bondsmagi will heal Locke if he and Jean participate in their five year election to sway the vote in favor of the Deep Roots party. The catch? The opposition has hired Sabetha to do the same. Yes, that Sabetha.

With that set up I went into the book expecting another fun caper full of political shenanigans as Locke and Jean face off against Sabetha. What we get is two stories both telling the same thing in different ways, Locke and Sabetha's romance. The first is told in the modern day as part of the election scheme while the second is told in "interludes" of a time in the past when the Gentlemen Bastards were sent off to enact a play titled "The Republic of Thieves" to give Chains a much needed break from a group of teenagers. Both stories are given equal page time with alternating chapters. I admit I found going back and forth between them annoying so ended up reading all the Interludes and then all of the present day plot. I don't think this hurt the story at all as the two plots never intersect, acting more as mirrors for each other and gave me a good foundation to understand where Locke and Sabetha were coming from.

With all the build up around Sabetha's character, there's no way she could have lived up to expectations. And guess what? She's an absolutely normal, if highly infuriating, person. While I'm glad we got to meet her in some ways I almost wish Sabetha was left off screen so her mythology and mystery could continue to grow.

It is fair to note that author Scott Lynch was going through a divorce and battling depression and anxiety while he wrote this book. It definitely shows. The story is missing that special spark of the previous two books and there is a definite sense of bleakness to the writing. I think the first portion of Locke dealing with the poison may have been Lynch putting himself into the book as he dealt with his depression. I also wonder if Locke and Sabetha's romance wasn't a reflection of his own divorce and that's why Sabetha came across more like she was leading Locke on instead of truly caring about him for most of the book.

I realize I may be coming across rather negative in this review. I don't mean to. There is some spectacular dialogue and the world building continues to be amazing. I also enjoyed many quite moments between the characters, those little things that make them feel very real. There is one scene where Jean and Sabetha finally air their grudges that was especially touching.

By the end all plot threads are nicely wrapped up, leaving Locke and Jean set to head off on their next adventure, and then we're hit with a bombshell of an epilogue. Lynch definitely saved the best for last! Locke, Jean and the world have no idea what's coming for them. I am feeling cautiously optimistic for the next installment. ( )
  Narilka | Jan 2, 2020 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carre, BenjaminCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jason McCray,
one man who in his time
has played many parts.
Place ten dozen hungry orphan thieves in a dank burrow of vaults and tunnels beneath what used to be a graveyard, put them under the supervision of one partly crippled old man, and you will soon find that governing them becomes a delicate business.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,922,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible