The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch

The Republic of Thieves (edition 2013)

by Scott Lynch

Member:2seven
Title:The Republic of Thieves
Authors:Scott Lynch
Info:Del Rey (2013), Hardcover, 672 pages
Collections:2013

The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch

I just want to say “YAY, GIMME MORE!”, but I don’t think that would be a very good review, so I’ll try and extract some coherence from my general happy feelings about this book.

The Gentlemen Bastards is one of my favourite fantasy series – I love the world, I love the characters, I love the writing, I love the capers, I love the structure. Naturally, I was really excited to finally receive my pre-order of THE REPUBLIC OF THIEVES (although I ended up not reading it for over a month because I didn’t want my life to go back to a world where I didn’t have more of the series to read). Also, naturally, the book was not just amazing. it exceeded my sky-high expectations!

With all the hype built up about Sabetha, I wasn’t sure if I should be looking forward to finally meeting her. I was fully expecting her to play a cat-and-mouse game, leading an obviously infatuated Locke on – something I wasn’t looking forward to. Happily, this wasn’t the case – Sabetha is endearing as well as being beautiful, confident and more than a match for Locke and Jean. Her reluctance to put down roots makes complete sense with her determination to be independent in the male-dominated world she lives in (something Locke and Jean have never considered). I also really enjoyed Locke and Sabetha’s relationship; it’s rare that a fictional relationship is so realistically based on good communication.

Okay, now that we have Sabetha out of the way – the rest of the book was also pretty awesome. I really enjoy that I get introduced to a new part of the world every book. Karthain, the dominion of the Bondsmagi, was a really interesting place, and of course, Locke and Jean have a new con to run – rigging an election. Except that this time, it’s not really their choice. The book had a slow start; Locke is still poisoned because of the fallout from his previous adventure, and Lynch does a good/scary job of portraying exactly how helpless he is. Once it gets going though, the plot moves at a breakneck speed.

This book also has extensive flashbacks (they occupy about half the book) about Locke and Sabetha’s time in Father Chains’ gang and how their relationship develops. There are several smaller incidents and then one large adventure, and Lynch does a great job of building a similar amount of tension in the flashbacks as the present day storyline, so I didn’t mind the alternating chapters at all. It was great to get more backstory on the dynamic of the group with Sabetha in it, as well as the awkward-adolescence phase.

I always figured that the Gentlemen Bastards series would veer in the direction of a more traditional fantasy epic (the suddenly vanished Eldren civilisation, the presence of a formal order of wizards), and we finally get our first inklings of that in this book. We find out more about where Locke came from (although nothing can be trusted in these books), and also a little more speculation about the nature of the fallen Eldren civilisation. Nothing is different yet (aside from the usual fallout accompanying Locke and Jean), but I’m excited to see what comes of it.

Okay, I can’t be articulate any more. This series is incredible, and so is this book. Read it! ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |
Entertaining 3rd volume in the series, this time centered around an electioneering caper, involving the previously absent Gentlewoman Bastard, and with the flashback plot presenting a sort of theatrical caper culminating in a "Rope" like production. I still find the characters and plotting entertaining, but there wasn't as much world-building in this one, and I wasn't as intrigued by the personal romantic dramatics of the protagonist, or the mystery-reveal of what may or may not have been Locke Lamora's past. So not quite as grabbing but still a worthy entry in the series. ( )
  lquilter | Nov 30, 2016 |
Like the previous two books in this series, this one has alternate chapters that flash back to the main characters' teenage years. Unlike the earlier books, those chapters form a complete story with its own conclusion in this one. The other chapters, which relate a story several years later, form a separate story. Together, they provide a tale of a romance begun and a romance rekindled. But this isn't a romance story. It is a fantasy adventure—-a very well-written one. Since there are already many reviews, I won't go on, but it's an enjoyable series with engaging characters, excellent prose, and an interesting setting. I recommend it. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Review later. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
A slightly slower pace than the previous books in the series, but full of all the usual tricks and tricksters.
A couple of points stopped it getting 5stars... spoiler alerts....

1. We always knew Locke was a mysterious orphan, and expected it to be relevant sooner or later. I just didn't expect him to be linked to the Bondsmagi and it felt as if it was all going to get deus ex machina for a little while. I'm remaining sceptical at the moment.
2. The ending, is it feasible that a 3ring mage could defeat a 5ring one, even with surprise and a family connection? ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carre, BenjaminCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jason McCray,
one man who in his time
has played many parts.
Place ten dozen hungry orphan thieves in a dank burrow of vaults and tunnels beneath what used to be a graveyard, put them under the supervision of one partly crippled old man, and you will soon find that governing them becomes a delicate business.

After their adventures on the high seas, Locke and Jean are brought back to earth with a thump. Jean is mourning the loss of his lover and Locke must live with the fallout of crossing the all-powerful magical assassins the Bonds Magi. It is a fall-out that will pit both men against Locke's own long lost love. Sabetha is Locke's childhood sweetheart, the love of Locke's life and now it is time for them to meet again. Employed on different sides of a vicious dispute between factions of the Bonds Sabetha has just one goal - to destroy Locke for ever. The Gentleman Bastard sequence has become a literary sensation in fantasy circles and now, with the third book, Scott Lynch is set to seal that success.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:40 -0400)

A latest installment in the popular series that includes Red Seas Under Red Skies finds con man Locke Lamora's latest scrapes with fellow Gentleman Bastard Jean Tannen giving way to an increasingly audacious resolve to have an incredibly good time while robbing the world blind. With what should have been the greatest heist of their career gone spectacularly sour, Locke and his trusted partner, Jean, have barely escaped with their lives.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible