Future Search by Marvin Ross Weisbord

My school is looking for a more inclusive way to conduct its strategic planning and Future Search looks like a promising way to conduct just such an event. We're trying to move away from the traditional planning cycles of 3 year plans or 4 year plans -- it all sounds rather Stalinist. We'd like to move in the direction of strategic thinking that's more flexible and capable of reacting more quickly to challenges and opportunities.

Future Search is a method based on systems management that incorporates a pretty quick and seemingly effective way to get at some profound issues in a relatively brief 3 day period. It starts out with a look back at the past and then moves into an assessment of where a given group is and then develops concrete action plans. None of this sounds over complex and that's what intrigues me. It looks to be, on paper at least, very effective and intuitive as well. It seems to avoid some of the gimmicks I've seen in the strategic planning processes.

It also seems to have developed means by which you can have large groups of stakeholders interact and take ownership of a given planning process. If you're someone looking to kick-start some strategic thinking, I think Future Planning is definitely worth a look. It's a practical guide that provides worksheets and a step-by-step guide to offering the workshop. ( )
  dmcolon | Jun 17, 2008 |

Marvin Ross Weisbordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weisbord, Marvinmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,475,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible