George's Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl

George's Marvelous Medicine (1980)

by Roald Dahl

English (58)  Catalan (1)  All languages (59)
George’s grandmother is a really nasty piece of work. One day, George is left on his own to look after her, and after being nagged once too often, he decides to get revenge and using various items he finds lying around the house, he creates a disgusting potion to give to her in place of her usual medicine.

Here’s where the fun really begins as the medicine has all sorts of different effects on Grandma - George must try to make medicine to make her shrink again. He mixes and blends and combines the various ‘ingredients’ he used in his original blend to try to find a cure, but this might prove difficult…

In the days of ‘PC gone mad’ I’m sure there are plenty of people who frown upon this story, although the book does contain a message in the front just before the story starts warning children not to try making their own medicine at home! As an adult, I love the dark nature of Dahl’s stories. This one is one of my favourites so far! ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |
Hilarious!
(and don't tell, but me and my cousin tried to recreate the potion at our grandma's home when we were ten!) ( )
  CathCD | Jan 16, 2016 |
This book is a very comical and easy to read chapter book and is perfect for children who are being introduced to chapter books. The story overall is so captivating and entertaining that it urges them to keep reading. I think that this book is a must have in a classroom. I would love to do an author/illustrator study on Roald Dahl and have a unit where we read all of his books.
  sierragriggs | Dec 18, 2015 |
One of the best kids books of all time and what a cast of characters.

A kid like we all were, a horrible scary grandmother that's ten times worse than anyone ever had and a father who is so feel of life and joy that he get away with calling his mother in law an old cow. ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
Tongue just barely in cheek here. Eight-year-old George's grandma is horrible to him, especially when his parents aren't around, so one day when his dad is in the fields and his mom is at the grocery store, George decides to mix up his own medicine to replace Grandma's usual brown stuff. He proceeds to empty cans, bottles, and jars of all kind of inedible and poisonous substances from every room in the house into a big soup pot, gives it a stir and some heat, then pours a spoonful for his grandma...oh boy does it ever make a difference.

Grandma grows, Alice-style, till her head pokes through the roof; when George's father arrives home, he's less worried about his mother-in-law than about the potential to make enormous chickens, cows, pigs, and sheep. But will the second batch have the same effect as the first?

A fun sort of revenge story, as long as readers "don't try this at home."

Steam was shooting out of Grandma's mouth and nose and ears and whistling as it came.
"She'll feel better after she's let off a bit of steam," Mr. Kranky said. ( )
  JennyArch | Mar 23, 2015 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I'm going shopping in the village," George's mother said to George on Saturday morning. "So be a good boy and don't get into mischief."

A taste of her own medicine.

George is alone in the house with Grandma. The most horrid, grizzly old grunion of a grandma ever. She needs something stronger than her usual medicine to cure her grouchiness. A special grandma medicine, a remedy for everything. And George knows just what to put into it. Grandma's in for the surprise of her life—and so is George, when he sees the results of his mixture!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:29 -0400)

George decides that his grumpy, selfish old grandmother must be a witch and concocts some marvelous medicine to take care of her.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141311347, 0141805951, 014132273X, 0141807792, 014133732X, 0141335580

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,125,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible