George's Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl

George's Marvelous Medicine (1980)

by Roald Dahl

@georges_marvelous +matilda ( )
  Lorem | Sep 28, 2015 |
One of the best kids books of all time and what a cast of characters.

A kid like we all were, a horrible scary grandmother that's ten times worse than anyone ever had and a father who is so feel of life and joy that he get away with calling his mother in law an old cow. ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
Tongue just barely in cheek here. Eight-year-old George's grandma is horrible to him, especially when his parents aren't around, so one day when his dad is in the fields and his mom is at the grocery store, George decides to mix up his own medicine to replace Grandma's usual brown stuff. He proceeds to empty cans, bottles, and jars of all kind of inedible and poisonous substances from every room in the house into a big soup pot, gives it a stir and some heat, then pours a spoonful for his grandma...oh boy does it ever make a difference.

Grandma grows, Alice-style, till her head pokes through the roof; when George's father arrives home, he's less worried about his mother-in-law than about the potential to make enormous chickens, cows, pigs, and sheep. But will the second batch have the same effect as the first?

A fun sort of revenge story, as long as readers "don't try this at home."

Steam was shooting out of Grandma's mouth and nose and ears and whistling as it came.
"She'll feel better after she's let off a bit of steam," Mr. Kranky said. ( )
  JennyArch | Mar 23, 2015 |
This is are fantasy book. It makes your imagination go wild and i love the creative texts and pictures. I recommend this book for year 3, 4,5, 6. The morel of the story is to be nice to every one you see at home or in the street. ( )
  stellagrasso | Feb 8, 2015 |
I can’t remember much about “George's Marvellous Medicine”, as I read it when at primary school, but I do recall how popular Roald Dahl was with most if not all of the class, and this book was amongst the most popular. For that reason I’m rating this four stars and hope I’m not being unjustified.

I either read this or had it read to me (the equivalent to an audio book) or both somewhere from 1983-85, thus I’ve put 1984 as reading dates as an average. I will have read/heard a few of Mr Dahl’s books during this period, of which some titles I can’t remember at all.

If I had to or wanted to re-read any children’s books for some reason or other then I’d definitely opt for works by this author. All these years on and he’s left a very faint yet happy memories in the back of my mind. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Feb 5, 2015 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I'm going shopping in the village," George's mother said to George on Saturday morning. "So be a good boy and don't get into mischief."

A taste of her own medicine.

George is alone in the house with Grandma. The most horrid, grizzly old grunion of a grandma ever. She needs something stronger than her usual medicine to cure her grouchiness. A special grandma medicine, a remedy for everything. And George knows just what to put into it. Grandma's in for the surprise of her life—and so is George, when he sees the results of his mixture!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:29 -0400)

George decides that his grumpy, selfish old grandmother must be a witch and concocts some marvelous medicine to take care of her.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141311347, 0141805951, 014132273X, 0141807792, 014133732X, 0141335580

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,714,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible