Martin the Warrior: A Tale from Redwall by…

Martin the Warrior: A Tale from Redwall (original 1993; edition 2004)

by Brian Jacques

Member:booksandwine
Title:Martin the Warrior: A Tale from Redwall
Authors:Brian Jacques
Info:Firebird (2004), Paperback, 384 pages

Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques (1993)

Magyk by Angie Sage (forest-mage)
    forest-mage: the same sort of adventure is there but there isnt much fighting

Martin the Warrior A Tale from Redwall. The book is filled with adventure, pirates, humor, friendships, and good food. This book is fun for all ages young and old.
PS- the ending is tragic. ( )
  MatthewFjerstad | Jul 22, 2013 |
Mattias is a mouse in a city called RedWall. On day Cluny the scourge attacks RedWall. But luckily they have the huge red walls keeping them safe. What will happen. I reccomend this book to people who like war and mice. ( )
  ALindelof | Mar 9, 2011 |
I remembered seeing the cartoon as a kid, and thought that this might be interesting to read. Oddly enough is was engaging even if I couldn't understand what the characters where saying half the time. I haven't seen anyone manage to write such accents into their characters speech so successfully!
Slavery, Rescue, Death, Pirates, Tyrants, Food, Seer, and Adventure. Not bad for a quick pick! ( )
  cat8864 | Jul 3, 2010 |
This is the first Redwall book I read, and I think the best.

After I grew out of Go, Dog Go! and the like in those inbetween years, I couldn't find anything worth reading. After not just a few tantrums with mom over forced "reading time" and those evil sweet valley high books, I came to the decision that reading was a horrible thing to have to do.

This book, Martin, is what brought me back to reading and made me an irrevocable bibliophile. Not only is Jacques a talented and engaging story-teller, this is the first book that showed me a depth of emotion and underlying philosophy. Before Martin I didn't know stories could be about ideas, could make you feel those ideas and touch your soul with them. Jacques doesn't candycoat things like death, a desperate struggle for freedom, gleeful cruelty, and the joy of being alive for his child audience. He shows those things by example in a simple way that treats those kids like the thinking people they are. ( )
1 vote Amanda_Carlson | May 27, 2010 |
When I was about at the in-be'tween'y stage, I devoured all eleven Redwall books available to me at the local library. If you’ve read any the series, you don’t need to be reminded of Jacques’s world of sumptuous feasts and heroic quests and colorful protagonists and evil vermin and accents (!).

Since, I've occasionally reread the original novel, but not any of the others, until now. Although I don’t quite as much enjoy the slight wish-fulfillment qualities in this immersive world as much (Has anyone ever not daydreamed about the abbey’s feast creations?), on this reread I found myself admiring Jacques’s storytelling capabilities- particularly, the portrayal of the path of the warrior.

*Spoilers abound* Being born to Luke, another 'the Warrior', Martin is born into the role of the warrior and is always referred to as such. It's an important role in his world of primarily chaos. This world is chock full of creatures with natures that run that gamut from selfish and anarchic tendencies (the squirrels, lizards, shrews) to outright tyrannous ones (warlords and pirates), that are only reluctantly checked by guidance and law and heroism.

Even as a slave, he cannot escape from his role- not even when the promise of freedom and peace is right before him, in the form of his love Rose and Noonvale, her idyllic home. He's mirrored in that regard by the squirrel Felldoh (his fellow warrior-slave), who shows the price of not being able to let go of hate and violence: death.

They win- Martin wins, but it is at a heavy price. This price is somewhat glossed over in the end but carries thematically into notably Mossflower and The Legend of Luke. Martin will learn to become the peacemaker, a founder of the peaceful place to come- and learning of his father's fate definitely helps the healing process, I'm guessing. But Redwall is the true follow-up, in that Matthias has the life not afforded Martin. Matthias can pick up the mantle of warrior (pick up Martin's sword of legend as his spiritual successor), but he can also put it down. Matthias can settle down, have kids- because a haven has been created. (Which, if I'm remembering correctly, sort of thematically leads right into Mattimeo, a story of leaving the haven and seeing the world outside.)

This installment is notably simpler than most of the other Redwall novels- containing relatively few (only two and a half by my count) and simple simultaneous plots. But it works in its favor, anchoring an origin story about the most recognizable character from the series- and allowing it to be one of the most emotionally affecting installments. ( )
  kaionvin | Feb 21, 2010 |
"Amid the deep white winter snow,
Sleeps Mossflow'r until spring,
While snug in Cavern Hole below,
All Redwall's creatures sing.
Old autumn gave us plenty,
Our harvest did not fail,
No plate nor jug is empty,
There's good October ale."

AR 5.5, Pts 14

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441001866, Mass Market Paperback)

Bedrang the Stoat has his evil eyes set on ruling over his own empire, and will do anything to make sure that his ultimate fantasy is fulfilled. But little does he realize that the quiet, nameless mouse he is holding captive will one day turn out to be the heroic and fearless Martin the Warrior.

Brian Jacques uses the full force of his stunning storytelling talent to unravel the mystery and adventure that unfolds in this tale of Redwall as a quiet little mouse refuses to bow down to a tyrant and bids to fight for freedom at any cost. Brimming with cutthroat skullduggery and intellectual intrigue, Martin the Warrior is a mountainous tale that introduces the ethos and passions of Redwall with a host of well-drawn characters, each with their own Achilles' heel, making them feel as real as they are magical. --Susan Harrison

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:25 -0400)

The Redwall series captured the hearts of readers and critics alike with its exhilarating tales of the wondrous creatures of Redwall. Martin the Warrior continues the saga with the long-awaited history of Martin, Redwall's most glorious hero, who rises from slavery to become the greatest warrior the land would ever know. Captured and enslaved by the corsair stoat Badrang, young mouse warrior Martin vows to end the evil beast's plundering and killing.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible