Be the Change: Your Guide to Freeing Slaves…

Be the Change: Your Guide to Freeing Slaves and Changing the World…

by Zach Hunter

Written by a teenager who began a campaign to raise money to help raise awareness and money to help free people from slavery when he was 12 years old, this book is geared towards teens to help them to see that they can make a difference in the world and help in the fight against slavery. The book has encouraging stories and helpful hints and exercises to help teens learn about slavery and abolition and how they can fight against child labor and slavery and help others. I highly recommend this book to teenagers and church youth groups.
I got this book free to review from goodreads. ( )
  herdingcats | Jan 9, 2012 |
slavery, social action ( )
  True54Blue | Nov 12, 2009 |
It should be noted that Zach Hunter, the author of “Be The Change” turned 15 just before this book was published. Yes, that’s 15, as in ‘fifteen years old’.

Wow.

Quick read, great stories of freedom from slavery and a great challenging message from one 15-year-old to a nation FULL of able-bodied, passionate young people who could very well change the world.

Zach continuously calls himself an abolitionist - one who desires to abolish modern-day slavery. He is passionate and well-versed in current trends in slavery around the world. He draws from numerous examples of today and hundreds of years ago of regular people making a difference by standing up for what they know to be right.

I’m sure that the Church will be hearing more from Zach Hunter in years to come! ( )
  navets | Dec 9, 2008 |
Zach Hunter is a 16 year old who calls himself a modern-day abolitionist. He launched the Loose Change to Loosen Chains campaign while he was in seventh grade. His goal is to have slavery wiped from the planet in his lifetime. Most of us think that slavery no longer exists, however, we’d be wrong. Modern-day slavery is people working in brick kilns, rice mills, fishing villages, or brothels. It is human beings being traded like chattels. In the book, Hunter helps us understand the reality of modern-day slavery by providing startling statistics, real life stories from former slaves and practical tools to mobilize people into action. Zach Hunter parallels the powerful stories of those who fought for change centuries ago, such as William Wilberforce and Harriet Tubman, with examples of contemporary people fighting for justice, such as Mother Teresa, Bono and Jon Foreman from the music group Switchfoot. He believes that today’s generation can abolish slavery and looks at the elements people need to make amazing changes in the world; elements such as courage, leadership and compassion. This young man, responding to God’s call, is encouraging all of us to ignite our passion and start making changes. ( )
  rushans | May 5, 2008 |

Most people think the average teenager isn't capable of much beyond hanging with their friends and wasting time. But Zach Hunter isn't your average teenager. And he's hoping to show you that you're not either. Zach has been trying to end slavery around the globe. Most people (maybe even you) think that slavery has been over for a long time. But sadly, there are more people bound in slavery now than at any of the times we read about in our history books. Now Zach is working to end slavery and free the men, women, and children who are being held against their will. He's even found some friends in the fight, including Jon Foreman of Switchfoot and Leeland Mooring of Leeland. Just look around the world and on the news and you'll find that there are plenty of things wrong with our planet---homelessness, hunger, global warming, AIDS...the list goes on and on. And we usually look at these problems and decide they're too big for us to do anything about. But Zach is proving that one person can make a difference. And in his book, he'll reveal the elements needed to make amazing changes in your world. In the end, he hopes you'll find the thing you're passionate about---and start making changes!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:48 -0400)

Describes the existence of slavery around the world today and what teenagers can do to fight against it, with an examination of incidents in the lives of leaders and slaves that have inspired the teenage author.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,449,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible