Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes (1982)

by Roald Dahl

1,520324,857 (4.08)14

English (30)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (32)
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Roald Dahl is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
This book contains Roald Dahl's twists on popular classic fairy tales. At first glance these could be somewhat ordinary versions of fairy tales, but they are quite different. For example, with Cinderella, her stepsisters still try to steal the prince away, but their heads are cut off! Also, Cinderella ends up "happily ever after" with a "simple jam-maker" instead of the rich prince. In the case of Little Red Riding Hood, she is shoots the evil wolf with a pistol and makes a "lovely furry wolfskin coat" with his remains. These poems are extremely fun, and the rhyming is great. I think any of these poems could be great introductions to poetry for future classes. ( )
  SMLawrence | Sep 30, 2014 |
I've had this book in my home since I was a small child and honestly this book is the reason I sometimes remember nursery rhymes and old fairy-tales wrong. Absolutely nostalgic and just as wonderful today as it was a decade ago! ( )
  PracticallyPerfect | Sep 30, 2014 |
Revolting Rhymes is a classic Dahl creation sure to entertain mature children. Language and content can be skewed older depending on the child and some people are sure to be offended by this divisive title.
  emmalune | Mar 13, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this collection of poems by one of my favorite childhood authors Roald Dahl. He takes a collection of timeless, traditional fantasy stories and adds humor and a few goofy twists to ensure the reader's satisfaction. His pictures of the "ugly sisters" in Cinderella or details of him chopping their heads off when the slipper doesn't fit made me laugh. Some of his descriptions may go a tad to far, "The Prince cried, Who's this dirty slut?" probably isn't appropriate for young readers. Overall though, I found that I was laughing pretty hard as I read these twisted poems. There certainly isn't a more fitting title then "Revolting Rhymes," though as some of the words will cause parents to not want their child reading this. I think Dahl's central message with this collection of poems is just to put a funny, dark twist on these timeless stories to get reader's laughing, which he certainly does. ( )
1 vote gsmith3 | Nov 25, 2013 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I guess you think you know this story.

Do you think Cinderella married the prince and lived happily ever after, and that the three little pigs outsmarted the wolf? Think again! Premier storyteller Roald Dahl twists the fate of six favorite fairy tales, in this picture book edition with vibrant new cover art by Quentin Blake. Fairy tales have never been more revolting!

Illustrated by Quentin Blake.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:50 -0400)

Presents humorous retellings in verse of six well-known fairy tales featuring surprise endings in place of the traditional happily-ever-after.

61 wanted1 pay3 pay

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141501758, 0141326832

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,323,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible