Slave: My True Story by Damien Lewis

Slave: My True Story (edition 2004)

by Damien Lewis, Mende Nazer

Info:PublicAffairs (2004), Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:read

Slave: My True Story by Mende Nazer

English (9)  Finnish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (13)
Review: Slave by Mende Nazer~~Damien Lewis.

This book is a true story about a young girl, taken from her family in the middle of the night and forced to be a slave. This traumatic and extremely abusive situation is still going on today. This story was difficult to read , yet I read on and envisioned and felt the horror this one girl went through and just knowing that there are many more children and adults out there still fighting for freedom. Even though Mende’s story sadden me I’m glad I read the book and grateful to read Mende Nazer conclusion to her story. It was well written and an eye-opener to readers to know what goes on around us, each and everyday… “Child Abuse”…..

I’m having a hard time reviewing this book because it so unacceptable and disturbing what people can do to one another without a second thought. It’s more disturbing knowing that this tremendous act is still occurring in Sudan, the Middle East and North Africa.

Mende came from village in the Nuba Mountains in Sudan. At the age of twelve she was kidnapped by overpowering Arab raiders who killed the men, raped the women and captured the children of the rural village to sell as slaves. Mende was raped by an Arab raider and than sold to a cruel Arab family in Khartoum. At that home she was beaten, tortured and emotionally tormented by the evil women who Mende called, “Master Rahab”. Mende was a possession, paid no wages, given no freedom, often disgraced, her clothes were rags, and had only scraps of food to eat left over from the plates of the family’s dinner. After Mende got a certain age she was passed on to live in London with Master Rahab’s sister’s family. Rehab decided she wanted another young girl for her slave…..

There is so much to this story that I haven’t touched on to give other readers the interest and education to read the book….
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Mende Nazer's absorbing account of her abduction and her many years as a slave for rich Arabs is as harrowing to read today as when it was written more than 10 years ago. I expect little has changed in the situation she describes with such horror. The first part of the book, about her childhood in Southern Sudan is equally an eye opener, but for a very different reason: She describes a warm and including close-knit and well-developed society with strong family values, and a great sense of humour and joy. Still, one of the most horrific scenes takes place before her abduction, as she is circumcised the traditional way as a young girl. This vile practice is as abhorrent as the slave trade. The book is co-written by film maker and journalist Damien Lewis, a true story teller. ( )
  petterw | Dec 7, 2015 |
What an amazing human story of hardship, endurance and survival. Eye opening! How can such 'slave trade' still be happening today? Lean about tribal customs, village life and the actions of the Mujahidin and slave traders in Sudan. The story told here is one that we may accept in a fiction book which we can put down and know that it did not really happen. The fact that this is an autobiography makes this book painfully sad and cruel. Still, even if you don't feel like this kind story right now, worried that it might depress you, I strongly recommend this as a 'must read'. It makes one realise how lucky we are ('we' being people who have time and resources to read books and post reviews on library thing - we live in such luxury), and how living free and 'without fear' should be savoured by us all. ( )
  kaebs | Feb 12, 2012 |
A powerful, very moving biography.

This book tells the story of Mende Nazer. From her childhood growing up in a Nuba village to the raid on her village, being sold into slavery, her escape from slavery, and finally her struggle seeking asylum in the UK.

This book had me laughing, crying, and cringing, it opened my eyes to the struggles of others, and how the fight to end slavery everywhere is still not over. I recommend this to everyone (teens and older), it was well written and a compelling story that is hard to put down. ( )
  Joybee | Jun 26, 2011 |
When I first took a class called "The Literature of American Slavery", I couldn't believe that slavery existed in America only 140 years ago. After reading a number of narratives describing the horrors of slavery, I was relieved that those horrors no longer existed. ...Boy, did this book prove me WRONG!

No - slavery did not end with the Emancipation Proclamation and the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution! As Mende Nazer has shown, it is very much alive in the Sudan and elsewhere. Her story about her capture and subsequent enslavement is certainly an eye-opener!

In addition to an extremely powerful anti-slavery statement, this book also teaches us so much on an antrhropological, sociological & historical level! The first section of the book, for instance, is a fascinating account of the traditional lifestyle in the Nuba Mountains. Included here are descriptions of the close-knit family/community ties, recreational activities such as inter-village wrestling matches, and finally,rituals such as female circumcision.

Next, it provides reader with a highly readable history lesson. It teaches us about the political and social turmoil in the Sudan. It delves into the subjugation of the black Africans by certain Arab communities and reminds us of the genocide inflicted throughout the country.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who really wants to open their eyes to the injustices of the world! Thank you, Ms. Nazer, for telling your story! ( )
  KindleKapers | Jan 17, 2011 |

Mende Nazerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lewis, Damiensecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my Umi and Ba. I miss you so very much.
-Mende
For Tean, my beautiful daughter and my best friend, and for my mother, for being there in times of need.
-Damien
The day that changed my life forever started with a beautiful dawn.

The author describes the years she spent as a slave to a wealthy Arab family in Khartoum and her subsequent break for freedom after she was sent to work for a diplomat in London.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,133,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible