Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Slave: My True Story by Damien Lewis

Slave: My True Story (edition 2004)

by Damien Lewis, Mende Nazer

Info:PublicAffairs (2004), Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:read

Slave by Mende Nazer

English (6)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
What an amazing human story of hardship, endurance and survival. Eye opening! How can such 'slave trade' still be happening today? Lean about tribal customs, village life and the actions of the Mujahidin and slave traders in Sudan. The story told here is one that we may accept in a fiction book which we can put down and know that it did not really happen. The fact that this is an autobiography makes this book painfully sad and cruel. Still, even if you don't feel like this kind story right now, worried that it might depress you, I strongly recommend this as a 'must read'. It makes one realise how lucky we are ('we' being people who have time and resources to read books and post reviews on library thing - we live in such luxury), and how living free and 'without fear' should be savoured by us all. ( )
  kaebs | Feb 12, 2012 |
A powerful, very moving biography.

This book tells the story of Mende Nazer. From her childhood growing up in a Nuba village to the raid on her village, being sold into slavery, her escape from slavery, and finally her struggle seeking asylum in the UK.

This book had me laughing, crying, and cringing, it opened my eyes to the struggles of others, and how the fight to end slavery everywhere is still not over. I recommend this to everyone (teens and older), it was well written and a compelling story that is hard to put down. ( )
  Joybee | Jun 26, 2011 |
When I first took a class called "The Literature of American Slavery", I couldn't believe that slavery existed in America only 140 years ago. After reading a number of narratives describing the horrors of slavery, I was relieved that those horrors no longer existed. ...Boy, did this book prove me WRONG!

No - slavery did not end with the Emancipation Proclamation and the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution! As Mende Nazer has shown, it is very much alive in the Sudan and elsewhere. Her story about her capture and subsequent enslavement is certainly an eye-opener!

In addition to an extremely powerful anti-slavery statement, this book also teaches us so much on an antrhropological, sociological & historical level! The first section of the book, for instance, is a fascinating account of the traditional lifestyle in the Nuba Mountains. Included here are descriptions of the close-knit family/community ties, recreational activities such as inter-village wrestling matches, and finally,rituals such as female circumcision.

Next, it provides reader with a highly readable history lesson. It teaches us about the political and social turmoil in the Sudan. It delves into the subjugation of the black Africans by certain Arab communities and reminds us of the genocide inflicted throughout the country.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who really wants to open their eyes to the injustices of the world! Thank you, Ms. Nazer, for telling your story! ( )
  KindleKapers | Jan 17, 2011 |
Arab slavers capture young Mende when they raid her village in Sudan. This true storyof her life as a slave in Khartoum and then London is not a tale from history. She escaped from those who owned her in 2000. A harrowing story of the modern-day slave trade.
1 vote g3orgia | Feb 15, 2010 |
Slave tells a life story that I would encourage everyone read about.

Slave was difficult to read in some parts. It was difficult knowing t hat the events happened to someone real, and happened recently.

The book draws you into Nazer's story and you almost instantly want to know more about her and the outcome of the ordeals she faced.

It is difficult knowing that this is a modern tale. We often like to pretend that slavery only took place in the past. However here is one story (among many untold stories) that reminds us that it is not only a problem in the past.

Read this book. ( )
  _Lana_ | Jun 27, 2009 |

Mende Nazerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lewis, Damiensecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my Umi and Ba. I miss you so very much.
-Mende
For Tean, my beautiful daughter and my best friend, and for my mother, for being there in times of need.
-Damien
The day that changed my life forever started with a beautiful dawn.

The author describes the years she spent as a slave to a wealthy Arab family in Khartoum and her subsequent break for freedom after she was sent to work for a diplomat in London.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,709,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible