De Giraffe, de Peli en Ik by Roald Dahl

De Giraffe, de Peli en Ik (original 1985; edition 1992)

by Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake

Member:robinhoed
Title:De Giraffe, de Peli en Ik
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Quentin Blake
Info:Baarn De Fontein 1992
Rating:**

The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me by Roald Dahl (1985)

A story about three economic migrants who come to England and set up their own business, making a success of it and integrating well into society. The ending is a celebration of foreign cuisine and how its importation can enrich our culture. ( )
  Lukerik | Jun 12, 2016 |
I just loved this story! I listened to it as well and Hugh Laurie was a wonderfully playful narrator! ( )
  pennylane78 | Jun 6, 2016 |
It’s difficult to review the shorter Dahl books without giving anything away as the blurb pretty much covers it. I enjoyed the story in this one, although for me it’s not as good as Esio Trot or George’s Marvellous Medicine. I haven’t read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yet, but some of the sweets mentioned in the film version are also mentioned in this book and (assuming they are actually in the book and not made up by Hollywood!) it’s nice to see that bit of continuity! ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |
A lovely children's tale about an unconventional firm of window cleaners! ( )
  nebula21 | Jun 15, 2015 |
I was no fan of Roald Dahl when I was young. Probably I was so used to more traditional fare that Dahl's particular brand of humorous fantasy was too surreal and subversive for my tastes. Reading these books with my girls has led me to some pleasant (re)discoveries. The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me, Dahl's story about the world's strangest window-cleaning company, is an enjoyable romp which skilfully reinterprets elements of traditional fairy tales. Instead of a Cinderella we get a young boy who seems not to have too many friends, instead of elves and gnomes we get a group of hilarious talking animals and a rich Duke takes on the role of Fairy Godmother. Enjoyable stuff. ( )
  JosephCamilleri | Mar 31, 2015 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Neisha, Charlotte and Lorina
Not far from where I live there is a queer old empty wooden house standing all by itself on the side of the road.

When Billy joins the Ladderless Window-Cleaning Company, he gets a lot more than a new job. First he makes three new friends, then it's time to get to work cleaning all 677 windows of the Duke of Hampshire's house. The Duke is not only the most wealthy man in the country, he's also the most generous. Can he make Billy's lifelong dream come true?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:29 -0400)

A small boy with a desire to own a candy shop meets a window-washing team composed of a giraffe, a pelican, and a monkey and together they go to work for the wealthy Duke of Hampshire, who makes all their dreams come true.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141807865, 0141322780, 0141501774

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,714,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible