De Giraffe, de Peli en Ik by Roald Dahl

De Giraffe, de Peli en Ik (original 1985; edition 1992)

by Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake

Member:robinhoed
Title:De Giraffe, de Peli en Ik
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Quentin Blake
Info:Baarn De Fontein 1992
Rating:**

The Girafe and the Pelly and Me by Roald Dahl (1985)

Recently added byotryt, LouisdP_Books, lmcox42, nebula21, piknitter, leydenk, banson, ifraga, private library, MissWright

A lovely children's tale about an unconventional firm of window cleaners! ( )
  nebula21 | Jun 15, 2015 |
I was no fan of Roald Dahl when I was young. Probably I was so used to more traditional fare that Dahl's particular brand of humorous fantasy was too surreal and subversive for my tastes. Reading these books with my girls has led me to some pleasant (re)discoveries. The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me, Dahl's story about the world's strangest window-cleaning company, is an enjoyable romp which skilfully reinterprets elements of traditional fairy tales. Instead of a Cinderella we get a young boy who seems not to have too many friends, instead of elves and gnomes we get a group of hilarious talking animals and a rich Duke takes on the role of Fairy Godmother. Enjoyable stuff. ( )
  JosephCamilleri | Mar 31, 2015 |
The final Roald Dahl chapter book I read to my children, amusing and sweet but not much more. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
Another Dahl book down! This is a fun book, heavy on illustrations, and, as I remember it, rhyme. It's one of those books where everything goes right, pretty much all the time ... expect for the incident with the robber and the pelican's beak, that was actually fairly concerning. So maybe don't read this to kids under, say, 7 or 8. ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |
Another great little read by the masterful storyteller Dahl. Billy's biggest wish is to turn a weird old wooden house, "The Grubber" into a wonderful sweet shop. But then he finds a giraffe, a pelican and a monkey living inside - they're the Ladderless Window Cleaners LWCC! Who need ladders when you've got a giraffe? They become best friends and when they meet the richest man in all England the Duke of Hampshire, there's a chance Billy's scrumptious-galumptious dream just might come true... If you like Dahl then you'll like this story. I especially liked the rhymes throughout as I felt that they animated the story. Great use of dancing language especially the names of the sweets and what they would taste like. ( )
  rata | Aug 9, 2013 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Neisha, Charlotte and Lorina
Not far from where I live there is a queer old empty wooden house standing all by itself on the side of the road.

When Billy joins the Ladderless Window-Cleaning Company, he gets a lot more than a new job. First he makes three new friends, then it's time to get to work cleaning all 677 windows of the Duke of Hampshire's house. The Duke is not only the most wealthy man in the country, he's also the most generous. Can he make Billy's lifelong dream come true?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:29 -0400)

A small boy with a desire to own a candy shop meets a window-washing team composed of a giraffe, a pelican, and a monkey and together they go to work for the wealthy Duke of Hampshire, who makes all their dreams come true.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141807865, 0141322780, 0141501774

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,918,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible