The Legend of Luke (Redwall, Book 12) by…

The Legend of Luke (Redwall, Book 12) (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Brian Jacques

Member:mjX
Title:The Legend of Luke (Redwall, Book 12)
Authors:Brian Jacques
Info:Philomel (2000), Edition: 1st Us Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:*unread, adventure, young adult, fantasy, fiction, Redwall series

The Legend of Luke by Brian Jacques (1999)

Fun, of course - it's a Redwall book. Much less scattered than most, this follows almost a straight-line trip by Martin and some of his friends, back to Martin's childhood home. One big flashback in the middle of the book, plus an occasional visit back to what's going on at Redwall - but even those start showing up mostly near the end of the book, as they anticipate the return of the travelers. Still don't know (maybe it's mentioned in his own book) how/why Martin left; the story here is Martin's father, Luke, and his adventures dealing with the sea rogues who attacked their home and killed Martin's mother. Martin and friends deal with various villains as they head north, but most of the conflicts are minor - in fact, most of the encounters they have end with making new friends, who they revisit on their way back south to Redwall. The major conflicts are all in Luke's story - battles with evil creatures and with the sea and storm. And the end is just a trifle vague - Luke presumably dies in the battle, along with the black squirrel and their enemies, but there's no actual evidence of it... Jacques leaving his options open. No frame on this one either, though it ends with the events of the summer recorded in the Abbess' book - it starts with a new character, Trimp the roving hedgehog maid, who plays a large part in the rest of the adventure as well. Enjoyable as usual. One odd thing - Luke's dialog seemed to vary, from Martin's standard English to a slightly more slurred version (yore, ol'), sometimes within a single paragraph. Jacques' style of dialog differing for each type of creature is an interesting feature of his books; I think this is the first time I've noticed him slipping. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Dec 30, 2014 |
As usual, Jacques has written a vivid tale, full of intriguing characters, beautiful imagery, and lots of food and storytelling. Although the "story within a story" makes things a little confusing, I love learning the backgrounds and complex connections of all of the Redwall characters. ( )
  norabelle414 | Jun 10, 2009 |
I haven't read a Redwall novel since I was younger, but I'm glad to find that the stories continue to appeal to me. Two of the reasons I have always enjoyed these novels so much is the dialogue, which varies deliciously with each species of animal (my favorite being the moles), and the tantalizing descriptions of food. Whenever Jacques describes what's being eaten in the story, I wish I could be a part of it and share in the cheese and celery flans and the deeper 'n ever pies and the shrimp 'n 'otroot soup. But more than these two things, the stories within the story are always riveting, though sometimes I feel bad for the vermin, who seem to have no choice but to be evil creatures. The otter Folgrim and the baby squirrel Chugger were my favorite characters in "The Legend of Luke" since Chugger always made me smile and the dark mystery of Folgrim was very interesting. All in all, I've missed reading the Redwall novels and am glad that they are still popular in a generation of Hannah Montanas and Gossip Girls.
2 vote stixnstones004 | Jan 13, 2009 |
Perhaps the most remarkable thing about this paperback is that the ISBN is deployed vertically on the back cover.
  wfzimmerman | May 29, 2007 |

Brian Jacquesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fangorn,Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The young must grow old,
Whilst old ones grow older,
And cowards will shrink,
As the bold grow bolder.
Courage may blossom in quiet hearts,
For who can tell where bravery starts?
Truth is a song, oft lying unsung,
Some mother bird, protecting her young,
Those who lay down their lives for friends,
The echo rolls onward, it seldom ends.
Who never turned and ran, but stayed?
This is a warrior born, not made!
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!
In memory of Tony Jacques
Summer's first morn was like no other!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441007732, Mass Market Paperback)

Brian Jacques and his tremendous Redwall books never cease to amaze: this is the 12th book in a series that just gets better and better. This time, the interweaving story of a father and a son is told in three parts, starting with a visit to Redwall Abbey by a young hedgehog maid who, by singing a half-remembered song recounting the adventures of a warrior called Luke, begins to unlock some of the mysteries behind the Abbey's early years.

As deftly executed as all the other Redwall books, The Legend of Luke is a truly magnificent, rampaging, rip-roaring adventure story that gives the heart and mind the kind of aerobic workout normally reserved for a sprint round a playing field. From the very first page the readers know they're in for a treat, and as Jacques skillfully builds his story, cleverly interweaving intricate, imaginative detail with a vast cast of incredible characters who each play a vital role in the unfurling of the tale, there can be no doubt that he is still the true master of his genre.

Excellent as a stand-alone read for anyone new to Redwall, and even better as part of the amazing saga that has captured the imagination of millions since its inception, The Legend of Luke is an absolute must-read for anyone--young or old--who likes their fiction fast and fantastical. This story will certainly leave them breathless for more. --Susan Harrison

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:45 -0400)

When Martin the Warrior leaves Redwall Abbey and embarks upon a journey to the place of his birth, he learns about the brave and noble deeds of his father Luke, a real Warrior Chieftain.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,154,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible