Stormy Weather by Carl Hiaasen

Stormy Weather (1995)

by Carl Hiaasen

Series: Skink (3)

Why no one has made a movie out of any of Carl Hiaasen's hilarious novels is a mystery to me. His writing is so cinematic, that you can visualize the plot unfolding on as movie or TV screen as you turn every page. This volume centers around a Hurricane that hits south Florida and its aftermath and is populated by Hiaasen's usual cast of Florida misfits and oddball characters: a honeymoon couple from New York who are looking to see what a hurricane is like, a sexy con artist who gets herself involved in way more than she bargained for, a slimy trailer salesman who meets his fate at the hands of the son of a woman who was killed in one of the stats shoddy trailer courts, a law school drop-out who is tying to track down the escaped animals from his uncle's exotic wild animal park, and our favorite ex-governor who lives in the swamps only emerging to meet out justice against those who contiunally ravage Florida's fragile ecosystem.

There's no point in trying to summarize the hilariously convoluted plot. Just settle in for a ripping yarn with a lot of laughs thrown in. ( )
  etxgardener | Apr 16, 2015 |
This is not an in depth read. It is a bit of a romp with life after a hurricane in Florida. If half of what went on in the book is what really happens I am glad to live far from there.

there are about 8-10 stories in this novel. They interact with each other sometimes in weird ways but the central theme revolves around the shoddy inspection of houses,built in Florida that blew apart in the hurricane. It would sure make me think hard before buying a RV mobile home there or a new home in general. There are scams, insurance fraud, abduction, cop shooting/beating, the occult (sort of)... you name it the action is probably there.... all told with a sort of jocular light-hearted fashion despite the seriousness of the events... the foibles of opportunists :)

The book was fine for 2/3 of the way through, after that you just wanted it to end. A few surprises in the outcome but not enough to raise my evaluation.

A nice change of pace from what I have been reading but nothing special overall. ( )
  Lynxear | Jan 23, 2015 |
Very readable as usual, but I don't love the Skink character as much as Hiaasen does. Skink is a little too consciously a free-spirit embodiment of the Florida wilderness that the author want to protect from amoral greedheads. ( )
  TulsaTV | Dec 22, 2014 |
The best yet! This author paints such a vivid picture of the most amazingly far-fetched characters that you can't help but believe in them. This is his most intricate plot of the books I've read thus far, but he juggles it all magnificently. There is never a moment when I lost track of his characters, situations, etc. Skink becomes more and more outrageous. That his other characters take it in stride doesn't surprise me or confound me -- it just seems right and natural with Hiaasen's humor, rhythms and wacky pathos. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 23, 2014 |
I love Carl Hiaasen! His books are guaranteed fun. This one involves honeymooners, insurance con artists, lost monkeys, a mobile home salesman and a law school dropout. And our favorite ex-governor madman. A thriller filled with black humor. ( )
  Berly | Sep 28, 2014 |
On August 23, the day before the hurricane struck, Max and Bonnie Lamb awoke early, made love twice and rode the shuttle bus to Disney World.
For Donna, Camille, Hugo and Andrew

A hilarious new novel of greed and corruption from the bestselling author of "Strip Tease". The story focuses on southern Florida at the height of the tourist season, when a ferocious hurricane hits--luring con artists, carpetbaggers, and would-be saviors like hyenas to the lion's kill. "Hiaasen himself is a one-man force of nature".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:00 -0400)

A hilarious new novel of greed and corruption from the bestselling author of \"Strip Tease\". The story focuses on southern Florida at the height of the tourist season, when a ferocious hurricane hits--luring con artists, carpetbaggers, and would-be saviors like hyenas to the lion\'s kill. \"Hiaasen himself is a one-man force of nature\".… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,493,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible