Stormy Weather by Carl Hiaasen

Stormy Weather (original 1995; edition 2001)

by Carl Hiaasen

Member:Carolee888
Title:Stormy Weather
Authors:Carl Hiaasen
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:crime, hurricanes, fraud, Florida, mystery, humor

Stormy Weather by Carl Hiaasen (1995)

Audio book performed by George Wilson

After a massive hurricane flattens Southern Dade County Florida, the place is overrun with various chiselers, scam artists, would-be contractors, insurance adjusters, and even honeymooning tourists. Hiaasen peoples this romp with the usual mix of characters – Bonnie and Max are on their honeymoon at Disney World when the hurricane hits, and Max just [u]has[/u] to head south to get home videos of the aftermath. Augustine Herrera has recently inherited his uncles wildlife “park” … and needs to find the various wildlife (including a male African lion, a cape buffalo, dozens of reptiles, and several mangy monkeys) who have been set free by the storm’s destruction. Edie and Snapper (Lester Maddox Preston) figure they can score a quick insurance scam, but just cannot catch a break. Antonio Torres is the subject of wrath when the entire trailer park – where he sold “federally guaranteed” mobile homes – is flattened, killing one resident and leaving the others with nothing but their memories. All of them are interconnected by the former governor of Florida – Skink – a one-eyed certifiably crazy mad man who has been waiting for “the big one” and experiences the storm lashed to a high-rise bridge.

The plot is riddled with ridiculously convenient coincidences and interconnections. But who cares?! Hiaasen is a master of this unique genre … a sort of improbable romp wherein everything turns out for the best and the bad guys always get what’s coming to them.

Wilson does a reasonable job of performing the book, though he is not very good at the female voices. I particularly like the way he breathes life into Skink, however. My particular copy of the work was unfortunately marred on the last disc, so I couldn’t listen to the ending … the last track was mostly pops and whistles, with the occasional word fragment. Drats … Well, fortunately for me I also had a copy of the text so I could finish the book.

All in all it’s an enjoyable diversion. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 16, 2016 |
Another outrageous tale with over the top characters. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Typical Hiaasen, a mixed bag of crazy characters come together with their schemes in the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew. ( )
  punxsygal | Jan 16, 2016 |
My first Carl Hiaasen book. My son's been telling me for a long time to read them, and I have to say he was exactly right. I guess this is a typical Hiaasen book, in that it has good guys and bad guys, and the good guys are underdogs in one way or another. Yet, in the end, good triumphs. All the elements that make a great story for me, and very well-written. I'll be reading more soon. ( )
  bicyclewriter | Jan 8, 2016 |
Why no one has made a movie out of any of Carl Hiaasen's hilarious novels is a mystery to me. His writing is so cinematic, that you can visualize the plot unfolding on as movie or TV screen as you turn every page. This volume centers around a Hurricane that hits south Florida and its aftermath and is populated by Hiaasen's usual cast of Florida misfits and oddball characters: a honeymoon couple from New York who are looking to see what a hurricane is like, a sexy con artist who gets herself involved in way more than she bargained for, a slimy trailer salesman who meets his fate at the hands of the son of a woman who was killed in one of the stats shoddy trailer courts, a law school drop-out who is tying to track down the escaped animals from his uncle's exotic wild animal park, and our favorite ex-governor who lives in the swamps only emerging to meet out justice against those who contiunally ravage Florida's fragile ecosystem.

There's no point in trying to summarize the hilariously convoluted plot. Just settle in for a ripping yarn with a lot of laughs thrown in. ( )
1 vote etxgardener | Apr 16, 2015 |
On August 23, the day before the hurricane struck, Max and Bonnie Lamb awoke early, made love twice and rode the shuttle bus to Disney World.
For Donna, Camille, Hugo and Andrew

A hilarious new novel of greed and corruption from the bestselling author of "Strip Tease". The story focuses on southern Florida at the height of the tourist season, when a ferocious hurricane hits--luring con artists, carpetbaggers, and would-be saviors like hyenas to the lion's kill. "Hiaasen himself is a one-man force of nature".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:00 -0400)

A hilarious new novel of greed and corruption from the bestselling author of \"Strip Tease\". The story focuses on southern Florida at the height of the tourist season, when a ferocious hurricane hits--luring con artists, carpetbaggers, and would-be saviors like hyenas to the lion\'s kill. \"Hiaasen himself is a one-man force of nature\".… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,916,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible