The Remorseful Day by Colin Dexter

The Remorseful Day (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Colin Dexter, Kevin Whately (Reader)

Series: Morse (13)

Member:InigoMontoya
Title:The Remorseful Day
Authors:Colin Dexter
Other authors:Kevin Whately (Reader)
Info:Macmillan Audio Books (1999), Edition: Abridged edition, Audio Cassette
Collections:Your library, To listen
Tags:Main, Audio, Fiction

The Remorseful Day by Colin Dexter (1999)

While the mystery part was good, what made this book special was the personal aspects as Morse, Lewis, and Superintendent Strange come to terms with Morse's failing health and ultimate demise. In order for that aspect to have its full impact, the reader should approach this after reading the series (or watching the TV show) so that the personalities of characters (especially Morse and Lewis) are well understood.

The mystery that provides the stage for the personal drama of course can stand alone. It was a bit too dragged out for my tastes but Dexter still can surprise, right up to the end! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 15, 2014 |

I own a copy and bookcrossed a copy.

Read during Winter 2002

I'm struck by how much more I like John Thaw's Morse over Colin Dexter's original character. Morse of the novels is not tremendously likeable, even here in his final appearance. There were also substantial changes in the TV dramatization, some very major. I found it very difficult to follow the threads of clues. However, at one point the disjoint of the characters and story I knew from television became a bit too much. I miss the television Morse much more.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
VG ( )
  brone | Apr 6, 2011 |
The last book in the series ... and the best. I've only recently realised that these aren't detective stories, so much as character studies of Chief Inspector Morse: with that, I've changed my attitude and it's been richly rewarded with my appreciation peaking at the same time as Dexter's craft.

Strange (Morse's boss, coming into focus more sharply, and now mirroring the TV series portrayal) directs Morse to take on a case hard on the heels of Morse recovering from ill health. Morse is reluctant, and complications regarding his involvement with the murder victim are highlighted. Lewis is caught in the middle of the interplay between Morse and Strange, but the bond between Morse and Lewis seems ever deeper. More murders follow, and the plot is just as convoluted as always. The ending - as befits the last in the series - is less ambiguous than that of some of the others, but has significant punch.

My previous dissatisfaction with earlier works was not present on this excursion, and I happily went along with the baffling twists and turns in the investigations as suspects are flagged up and then removed from the plot. I ignored the red herrings and dead ends, and concentrated on the interplay between Morse, Lewis and Strange as they each moved towards different parts of their lives and/or careers. Dexter's use of cultural snippets to presage the events in each chapter is something I've always been happy with, and he still drops in words that baffle me. That mannered writing style does mean that it's not transparent, and that you have to concentrate rather than just let the words wash over you. For this reason, I can't give the book top marks.

So, a fitting conclusion to the series and I'm glad I stuck with it after the shaky start. As to whether I'd recommend it ... Well, for a fan of detective stories it is a must, but if you're going to tackle the series on the basis of the TV stories then I'd say that you need to treat them as separate things: if you don't get along with the first few books in the series then - even though they get better - the series will still turn out to be a slog. As for me - this final story made it all worthwhile. ( )
1 vote Noisy | Nov 7, 2010 |
I still find it difficult to like the Morse novels (where the essentially romantic Morse of the TV veers towards the leery and prurient - not to mention patronising), but this is better than the earlier ones and the detective story itself is intricate and well designed..
  otterley | Sep 24, 2010 |

Colin Dexterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahlström, BarbroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For George, Hilary, Maria, and Beverley (Please note the Oxford comma)
"So I often hook my foot over the side of the mattress."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 033037639X, Paperback)

For a year, the murder of Yvonne Harrison has baffled Thames Valley CID. But one man has yet to tackle the case, Chief Inspector Morse. So why is he adamant that he will not lead the reinvestigation, despite two anonymous phone calls that hint at new evidence? And why does he seem to be carrying out his own private enquiries?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:54 -0400)

An unsolved murder case yields new clues that could implicate Inspector Morse even as he seeks to solve the case

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,693,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible