The Remorseful Day by Colin Dexter

The Remorseful Day (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Colin Dexter, Kevin Whately (Reader)

Series: Morse (13)

Member:InigoMontoya
Title:The Remorseful Day
Authors:Colin Dexter
Other authors:Kevin Whately (Reader)
Info:Macmillan Audio Books (1999), Edition: Abridged edition, Audio Cassette
Collections:Your library, To listen
Tags:Main, Audio, Fiction

The Remorseful Day by Colin Dexter (1999)

I own a copy and bookcrossed a copy.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
VG ( )
  brone | Apr 6, 2011 |
The last book in the series ... and the best. I've only recently realised that these aren't detective stories, so much as character studies of Chief Inspector Morse: with that, I've changed my attitude and it's been richly rewarded with my appreciation peaking at the same time as Dexter's craft.

Strange (Morse's boss, coming into focus more sharply, and now mirroring the TV series portrayal) directs Morse to take on a case hard on the heels of Morse recovering from ill health. Morse is reluctant, and complications regarding his involvement with the murder victim are highlighted. Lewis is caught in the middle of the interplay between Morse and Strange, but the bond between Morse and Lewis seems ever deeper. More murders follow, and the plot is just as convoluted as always. The ending - as befits the last in the series - is less ambiguous than that of some of the others, but has significant punch.

My previous dissatisfaction with earlier works was not present on this excursion, and I happily went along with the baffling twists and turns in the investigations as suspects are flagged up and then removed from the plot. I ignored the red herrings and dead ends, and concentrated on the interplay between Morse, Lewis and Strange as they each moved towards different parts of their lives and/or careers. Dexter's use of cultural snippets to presage the events in each chapter is something I've always been happy with, and he still drops in words that baffle me. That mannered writing style does mean that it's not transparent, and that you have to concentrate rather than just let the words wash over you. For this reason, I can't give the book top marks.

So, a fitting conclusion to the series and I'm glad I stuck with it after the shaky start. As to whether I'd recommend it ... Well, for a fan of detective stories it is a must, but if you're going to tackle the series on the basis of the TV stories then I'd say that you need to treat them as separate things: if you don't get along with the first few books in the series then - even though they get better - the series will still turn out to be a slog. As for me - this final story made it all worthwhile. ( )
1 vote Noisy | Nov 7, 2010 |
I still find it difficult to like the Morse novels (where the essentially romantic Morse of the TV veers towards the leery and prurient - not to mention patronising), but this is better than the earlier ones and the detective story itself is intricate and well designed..
  otterley | Sep 24, 2010 |
Is this the best Morse; perhaps-certainly one of the best. ( )
  gilly1944 | Sep 5, 2009 |

Colin Dexterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahlström, BarbroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For George, Hilary, Maria, and Beverley (Please note the Oxford comma)
"So I often hook my foot over the side of the mattress."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 033037639X, Paperback)

For a year, the murder of Yvonne Harrison has baffled Thames Valley CID. But one man has yet to tackle the case, Chief Inspector Morse. So why is he adamant that he will not lead the reinvestigation, despite two anonymous phone calls that hint at new evidence? And why does he seem to be carrying out his own private enquiries?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:54 -0400)

An unsolved murder case yields new clues that could implicate Inspector Morse even as he seeks to solve the case

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,207,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible