Wings by Christopher Myers

I liked this book because each picture is different. The art in this book is done in a collage form, so every picture the boys wings look different! At different parts in the book the wings look bigger, and at other times they look small. I also like this book because the illustrations are so pretty. The collages on each page are interesting for the reader and the pictures of roses were my favorite collage. This technique keeps the reader engaged in the story as well as in the illustrations accompanying the words. The big idea of this story was friendship, because the little girl thought the wings were beautiful and that made the boy feel better and they became friends. ( )
  jcuttitta | Apr 7, 2015 |
"Are you brave enough to be your true self?" Ikarus Jackson, the new boy in school, is outcast because he has wings, but his resilient spirit inspires one girl to speak up for him.

How do you treat those people who look different than you? How does it feel to be different? What impact does it have when one person treats someone with respect and dignity? What is special about being different? What is hard about being different? These are all questions that can be discussed after reading this book. It would be a great dialog starter around differences, but more importantly, similarities between people. ( )
  zsvandyk | Mar 12, 2015 |
This was one of my favorite books that I have ever read. This book had several different, powerful, messages one was that bullying is wrong and that just because someone is different it doesn’t mean that you should exclude him or her. Another was that sometimes it takes just one person to approach someone and become their friend to change someone’s day. While the bullying message is in a lot of children’s literature, the way in which the message was present was very unique. The main character in the story had wings; those were what made him different. I really loved that the author did this because the thing that made him different was so abstract the reader was still able to identify with him. Another character who was easy to identify with was the young girl who ended up befriending the main character. Both character personalities were left very ambiguous which allowed for the reader to see themselves in both of their shoes. I believe that this allowed the book to have a great impact on the reader and allowed the reader to develop a deep connection to the story.
I also really liked that the illustrations were so abstract. I think that it fit because the author was telling you the boy had wings, so the abstract illustrations matched the abstract concept. This allowed the story to feel like one cohesive things. In some picture the boy with wings was much larger than the other characters. In other points in the story some characters didn’t have a face. These abstract things fit so well with the theme of the book and gave it a cohesive feel. ( )
  Khammersla | Mar 2, 2015 |
I liked this book for three reasons. One reason is because the plot was logical, even though it was a “fantasy”, since the main boy Ikarus had wings. Ikarus was made fun of in and out of school because he was different than the other students. Another reason I liked this book was for its illustrations. All of the people in the book were silhouettes and none of them had faces. I feel as if the author did this on purpose because he wanted his readers to know that it doesn’t matter what your face looks like, it’s okay to be different and look different. Lastly, I liked this book because of its big idea, which was that it was okay to be different and not like the rest of everyone. I feel like children will be able to relate to the girl in the book too because they might not know if they should step up and say something to stop a bully. For example, the girl was unsure if she was brave enough to help Ikarus by saying something to the bullies, but eventually she did and it made herself and Ikarus feel good. ( )
  KellieMcFadzen | Mar 2, 2015 |
I really liked the book, "Wings," by Christopher Myers. I liked this book for several reasons. First, I liked the relationship between the girl and Ikarus. For instance, she did not care about what the other people thought about Ikarus because she stood up for him and became his friend by telling him his flying was beautiful. I thought this helped portray the message of not caring what other people think. The girl in the story clearly didn't mind what people thought of her because she accepted Ikarus. Additionally, I liked the book because it was realistic. For example, the kids in the book pointed and laughed and Ikarus because he had wings. In a real life situation, people would be confused and probably would not accept him immediately because he was so different. This could also relate to reality and diversity. For instance, since Ikarus is different than the kids, they treat him poorly. In real life, people may laugh at someone who is different than their own culture because they are" different", too. ( )
  NicoleGinex | Mar 2, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590033778, Hardcover)

Ikarus Jackson, a new boy on the block, surprises his neighbors one day by flying above the rooftops with his "long, strong, proud wings." People start to whisper, though, and soon those whispers turn to taunts, disdain, and finally even dismissal from school. One quiet girl, someone who knows loneliness herself, doesn't think the winged boy is strange. She runs through the streets, searching the clouds for her exiled schoolmate, only to find a policeman yelling at him to get down from the edge of a building where he perched with the pigeons: "Could the policeman / put him in jail for flying, / for being too different?" She musters her strength to tell the laughing onlookers to leave him alone, and she tells her new friend "what someone should have long ago"--that his flying is beautiful.

Christopher Myers, who illustrated the Coretta Scott King Honor Book Black Cat and the Caldecott Honor Book Harlem shines in this simple, lovely tribute to individualism, encouraging his young readers to dare to fly too close to the sun despite the warnings of the mythological Icarus. "Ikarus Jackson can fly through the air; I want kids to find their own set of wings and soar with him," says Myers. His masterful cut-paper collages capture the odd, crazy beauty of Ikarus's big white wings and the dizzying perspectives of a boy who is flying over rooftops. Urban landscapes are represented by cut photos of fencing, brownstones, and photo-booth portraits, while the sky in one spread is a sea of fuschia roses. Wings is a wonderfully expressive pairing of story and illustration. (Ages 6 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:59 -0400)

Ikarus Jackson, the new boy in school, is outcast because he has wings. But his resilient spirit inspires one girl to speak up for him in this thought provoking story about celebrating individuality.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,855,712 books! | Top bar: Always visible