The Storyteller: A Novel by Mario Vargas…

The Storyteller: A Novel (original 1987; edition 2001)

by Mario Vargas Llosa, Helen Lane (Translator)

Member:RebaRelishesReading
Title:The Storyteller: A Novel
Authors:Mario Vargas Llosa
Other authors:Helen Lane (Translator)
Info:Picador (2001), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 245 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Nobel

The Storyteller by Mario Vargas Llosa (1987)

English (14)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
Lost patience with this one. As troubled me with a couple other South American novels (The Savage Detectives and Chronicle of a Death Foretold), I came to perceive this as one long, dry recitation of facts. Little or no nuance or shift in narrative style. Maybe it's just his style then. Alright, but not for me. ( )
  JamesMScott | Jul 7, 2016 |
Yüzünde ürkütücü bir doğum lekesiyle dünyaya gelmiş Perulu bir Yahudinin, çağdaş yaşamın ikiyüzlülüklerine başkaldıran Saul Zuratas'ın akıllara durgunluk veren "değişim"inin öyküsü. Üniversitedeki parlak geleceğini elinin tersiyle iten Saul, yoksa yazgısını Amazon ormanlarında soyu tükenmekte olan ilkel bir kabileyle mi birleştirmiştir? Machiguenga kabilesinin herkesten sır gibi sakladığı Masalcı, Saul mudur yoksa? Kendini Floransa'ya, Dante'nin, Leonardo'nun, Botticelli'nin dünyasına atan Perulu bir aydın, bir sanat galerisinde rastladığı bir fotoğraftan yola çıkarak, eski arkadaşı Saul'un izini sürecektir. Bir yönüyle Dostoyevski'nin "Budala"sındaki Prens Mışkin'i, bir yönüyle Kafka romanlarından fırlamış bir kişiliği anımsatan Saul, Mario Vargas Llosa'nın bugüne kadar yarattığı en çarpıcı, en olağandışı karakterlerden biri. "Kent ve Köpekler", "Üveyanneye Övgü", "Yeşil Ev", "Yüzbaşı ve Kadınlar Taburu", "Julia Teyze", "Palomino Molero'yu Kim Oldürdü?", "Mayta'nın Öyküsü", "And Dağlarında Terör" gibi romanlarında modern dünyanın toplumsal ve ruhsal haritasını çıkaran Vargas Llosa, "Masalcı"da, yitirdiğimiz bir dünyaya, kökenlerimizin dünyasına götürüyor okuru.
  Cagatay | Jun 10, 2016 |
My first comment is to not read this book like I did. I started it as my 'read in bed' book before falling sleep. That did not work well for me as: 1) I tend to fall asleep after about 10 pages of reading; and 2) to properly appreciate the story being told here, and the shifting points of view, it is best to set aside uninterrupted, wide awake reading time. If you do this, you will be rewarded with Llosa's intimate sweeping inclusion of folklore, legends and beliefs of the Machiguenga, an indigenous Amazonian tribe, to the broader, modern examination of the culture clash between 'traditional' and 'modern' as we slowly lose all of the traditional customs and beliefs of indigenous people who share this planet with us. Everything from religion to linguistics to sociology, politics and ethnography is examined or touched upon in this quasi-memoir-styled story that, in the end, left me feeling that there is more fact and truth than fiction and fabrication in this one. It is very much a call to examine and to be willing to be accountable for the damage we as a modern race are doing to our cultural history and our environment.

A richly textured read worthy of a reader's full, undivided attention. ( )
  lkernagh | Jan 17, 2016 |
I picked this up rather at random for the next stage of my campaign to consolidate my Spanish by immersion. Possibly not the best choice, as the effect relies partly on deliberately unfamiliar vocabulary, so I spent a lot of time looking words up to find out whether they were names of Amazonian plants and animals I was expected to know, or invented words used to reinforce the strangeness of Manchiguenga culture.

The book is essentially about the ways indigenous traditional cultures work and how they are affected by external change. It's not really a novel in the conventional sense, but more a frame on which to hang thoughts about the collision between "western" and "traditional" culture and experiments aimed at capturing — or rather imagining and representing — the form a narrative by a traditional storyteller might take. To do this, Vargas Llosa alternates chapters in the voice of the storyteller with chapters narrated in conventional style by a narrator who seems to be a slightly-fictionalised version of himself.

The political and ethical message of the book is more nuanced than I was expecting: although part of the book's aim is certainly to show us the elegance and harmony of the timeless and sustainable lifestyle of the Manchiguengas and the way this is threatened by any contact with the outside world, Vargas Llosa also wants us to see that it isn't as simple as that: human beings are not wild animals that we can lock up in a wilderness reserve as an ecological monument. There are benefits to living in modern society as well as drawbacks, and indigenous people shouldn't have to be exposed to the negative side only. For Vargas Llosa, the culture of his fictional indigenous tribe, the Manchiguengas, is not a static tradition, but it is one that has adapted with their conditions of living. Even if contact with the modern world brings big changes to their outward way of life, their culture seems to be robust enough to take this in its stride. Especially if they have a storyteller with the chutzpah to translate Kafka and the Jewish diaspora into the narrative idiom of the rainforest. ( )
  thorold | Mar 10, 2014 |
Going back to books by Nobel prize winners, I read [The Storyteller] by [[Mario Vargas Llosa]] which I found to be a rather difficult read. Partly because I found it a little difficult to tell who was speaking at times (although it may not matter) and partly because I'm not a big fan of mythology. The book has two narrators, one unnamed and the other a school friend of the first. The first narrator is a Peruvian anthropologist living in Florence. Saul, the second narrator, is the son of a jewish man and his indian wife. The first narrator tells the story of Saul who transforms from being a law student to a liberal interested in Amazonian tribes to someone convinced that change is destroying the tribes but much of the book is spent relating stories of the various tribes which explain to them the way the world works. Only at the very end does the book come back to the story of Saul. The stories are interesting and sometimes rather charming but the indian names of the gods, devils, humans, etc. made them difficult for me to follow. I'm glad I read it and I imagine I would get a lot more out of it if I read it again, but I don't think I liked it well enough to spend my time doing that. ( )
  RebaRelishesReading | Dec 14, 2012 |

Was inspired by

A Luis Llosa Ureta, en su silencio, y a los kenkitsatatsirira machiguengas
口を閉ざすルイス・リョサ・ウレータとマチゲンガ族の語り部(ケンキツァタツィリラ)に捧ぐ (Japanese)
I came to Firenze to forget Peru and the Peruvians for a while, and suddenly my unfortunate country forced itself upon me this morning in the most unexpected way.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312420285, Paperback)

At a small gallery in Florence, a Peruvian writer happens upon a photograph of a tribal storyteller deep in the jungles of the Amazon. He is overcome with the eerie sense that he knows this man...that the storyteller is not an Indian at all but an old school friend, Saul Zuratas. As recollections of Zuratas flow through his mind, the writer begins to imagine Zuratas's transformation from a modern to a central member of the unacculturated Machiguenga tribe. Weaving the mysteries of identity, storytelling, and truth, Vargas Llosa has created a spellbinding tale of one man's journey from the modern world to our origins, abandoning one in order to find meaning in both.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:22 -0400)

From the Publisher: At a small gallery in Florence, a Peruvian writer happens upon a photograph of a tribal storyteller deep in the jungles of the Amazon. He is overcome with the eerie sense that he knows this man-that the storyteller is not an Indian at all but an old school friend, Saul Zuratas. As recollections of Zuratas flow through his mind, the writer begins to imagine Zuratas's transformation from a modern to a central member of the unacculturated Machiguenga tribe. Weaving the mysteries of identity, storytelling, and truth, Vargas Llosa has created a spellbinding tale of one man's journey from the modern world to our origins, abandoning one in order to find meaning in both.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,588,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible