The Neutronium Alchemist (Night's Dawn…

The Neutronium Alchemist (Night's Dawn Trilogy) (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Peter F. Hamilton

1,394None5,490 (4.06)28
Member:christophersisk
Title:The Neutronium Alchemist (Night's Dawn Trilogy)
Authors:Peter F. Hamilton
Info:Tor (1998), Paperback, 1225 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle Books, To read

The Neutronium Alchemist by Peter F. Hamilton (1998)

The panoramic vistas of Peter Hamilton's huge universe are interesting and entertaining, but I have a hard time getting past the premise of the dead returning to life in a space opera. And I could have done with less of the brutal assaults and torture. ( )
  mbg0312 | Feb 14, 2012 |
Focussed more on plot development than world-building, not quite as fun as the first part, but still entertaining. You need a scorecard to track all the characters, though, especially when they start coming back from the dead. ( )
  crop | Dec 14, 2010 |
If you’re reading this review, then you’ve probably read The Reality Dysfunction. If not, you need to do so. This is book two of a three book series and cannot be read as a stand alone novel. The three books are really three volumes of the same story (Night’s Dawn), a 3,500 page behemoth to be sure.

I found The Reality Dysfunction to be an outstanding work of science fiction, striking a perfect balance between complicated “hard” science fiction concepts and captivating story lines. The numerous threads made it something of a challenge to keep abreast of the action, but I was able to do so by reading it through without pause (over the course of 2-3 weeks).

I rated this volume slightly below the original for the simple fact that my least favorite story thread (the Norfolk heiresses) plays a significantly more prominent role in this book. As with most “book twos” of multi-volume works, this tome advances the story line of the original book without achieving much resolution, but it certainly does so in an entertaining and captivating manner.

Certainly, any story in which “the dead” return would be missing a potentially captivating angle if certain famous historical personages were not represented. In an angle reminiscent of Philip Jose Farmer’s classic Riverworld series, such is the case here, though on a very limited, though nonetheless effective basis.

I must confess that near the end of this second volume, I found it more difficult to keep track of the numerous threads and peripheral characters within each thread. Again, you cannot hope to stay on top of this story unless you dedicate time to it on a daily basis. I’m certainly hoping that the final volume begins to merge some of the threads as the overall story comes to its final conclusion. ( )
1 vote santhony | Feb 26, 2010 |
Don't ask - don't question why or how or what is happening - jump in & hang on! ( )
  SandraW | Apr 3, 2009 |
1st off I gave this a try because a few people recommended it on the Amazon Kindle Discussion board. I generally love Sci-Fi and the price was right, $7.99 for all three books on my Kindle. What I didn't realize was that all three books have a total page count north of 3,600 pages! Yikes. So I plunged into this trilogy.

It picks up right where book 1 leaves off! It suffered from none of the 1st books issue with setting up the story.

Aside from being a very large investment in time, this book did not disappoint. The pace varied between good and frantic. Late in the book was a scene that had me breathless as it moved along. I could sit there an imagine just what it might look like on the big screen. It was that good.

It also has left enough lose ends in place for book three. ( )
  knipfty | Mar 27, 2009 |

Peter F. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tikulin, TomislavCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It seemed to Louise Kavanagh as though the fearsome midsummer heat had persisted for endless, dreary weeks rather than just the four Duke-days since the last meagre shower of rain.
In some areas The Neutronium Alchemist is published as two separate books, The Neutronium Alchemist: Consolidation and The Neutronium Alchemist: Conflict. Please do not combine this book with either of those.

The ancient menace has finally escaped from Lalonde, shattering the Confederation's peaceful existence. Those who succumbed to it have acquired godlike powers, but now follow a far from divine gospel as they advance inexorably from world to world. On planets and asteroids individuals battle for survival against the strange and brutal forces unleashed upon the universe. Governments teeter on the brink of anarchy, the Confederation Navy is dangerously overstretched, and a dark messiah prepares to invoke his own version of the final Night. In such desperate times the last thing the galaxy needs is a new and terrifyingly powerful weapon. Yet Dr Alkad Mzu is determined to retrieve the Alchemist -- so she can complete her thirty-year-old vendetta to slay a star. Which means Joshua Calvert has to find Dr Mzu and bring her back before the Alchemist can be reactivated. But he's not alone in the chase, and there are people on both sides who have their own ideas about how to sue the ultimate doomsday device. 'Hamilton puts Britain sci-fi back into interstellar overdrive.' The Times 'Space opera has rarely been dealt with in such majesty...inventive, ambitious, and, like the greatest of tumbling acts, leaves you giddy for more. ' Daily Express

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:44 -0400)

An ancient menace has escaped from Lalonde, shattering the Confederation's existence. In such times the last thing the galaxy needs is a new, powerful weapon. Yet Dr Mzu is determined to retrieve the Alchemist, so that she can complete a vendetta.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,461,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible