Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Walk Two Moons (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Sharon Creech

5,072175886 (4.14)1 / 104
Member:glalibrary
Title:Walk Two Moons
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:Scholastic Inc. (1994), Paperback, 280 pages
Tags:Young Adult Fiction, Adventure, Family, Ohio, Idaho

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (1994)

I first read Walk Two Moons when I was in 5th grade. I am now 19 and since then have read it at least 5 more times. It was my first favorite book, and it will always have a special place in my heart. The story is told by a young girl to her grandparents while on car trip, and it sweeps the reader into the ridiculous world of the characters. The dialogue is told beautifully in a way children can understand and help them grasp early thoughts of love, death, tragedy, struggles, and friendship. A fantastic read for the young and old. ( )
  juliamarinaro | Aug 19, 2014 |
I like the book as well but I heard it on tape first and the voice of this narrator really brought it alive for me. Instead of pinning down my imagination the reading opened new possibilities for me. I listened to the tape over a couple of weeks (doing the cooking and washing up) and for for that time I walked with the story quite intensely. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
I first heard this book rather than reading it, on an audio tape from the library, in small instalments when I was cooking or washing up. I really lived with it over a couple of weeks and the voice of Kate Harper became woven with my thoughts and life. When I read the book later it was Kate Harper's voice that I heard. Often I don't like to have someone else's voice in a book and wish I had read the book first, but I love it here and wouldn't choose to have done anything else. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
What a surprise! My daughter asked me to read this book because is part of one of her classes... Anyway I started with a little bit of skepticism and after the first chapter I thought that I will not make it. But I was wrong. I really enjoyed this book.
The thing that I liked the most is the psychological aspect of it. Not always things are what appear to be. ( )
  lepensuer | Jun 14, 2014 |
Walk Two Moons Sharon Creech by Sharon Creech, published by Scholastic, 1994. 288 pages a little girl Salamanca and her grandparents travel across country and tells them stories of her friend and how their mother disappeared one day. At the end we learn that Mrs. Winterbottom has a son who she gave up for adoption many years before her marriage.
  joey_spencer | May 14, 2014 |
Deborah Stevenson (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, January 1995 (Vol. 48, No. 5))
Salamanca-Sal-grew up in Kentucky, but she and her father moved to Ohio after her mother's death; she and her grandparents are currently taking a road trip to Idaho, where her mother is buried. As they travel, Sal relates to her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe, whose unhappy mother left Phoebe's family; Sal finds that recounting Phoebe's story helps her understand the desertion of her own mother, who was later killed when the bus taking her away from her family crashed. Creech skillfully keeps these layers separate but makes their interrelationship clear, and the plot moves along amid all this contemplation with the aid of a mysterious note-leaver, a local "lunatic," an eccentric English teacher, and Sal's budding romance, not to mention Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful, and a poisonous snakebite along the road of Sal's trip with her grandparents. The style is smooth and imaginative but cheerfully plain-spoken ("I wanted to jump up and say, 'Phoebe's mother has disappeared and that is why Phoebe is acting like a complete donkey,' but I didn't"), and the folksiness of Sal's grandparents (Sal's grandfather calls Sal his "chickabiddy" and his wife "gooseberry") is warm and uncontrived. Readers who enjoyed Barbara Hall's Dixie Storms (BCCB 7/90) will appreciate this strong and tender novel about all kinds of gain and loss. R*--Highly recommended as a book of special distinction. (c) Copyright 1995, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 1994, HarperCollins, 280p, $15.89 and $16.00. Grades 7-12.
added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Deborah Stevenson

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1994)
Singular, vividly realized characters are at the heart of this moving, funny and astonishing novel. On a cross-country trip to Idaho to visit her mother, thirteen-year-old Sal fascinates and delights her grandparents with the story of mystery surrounding her best friend Phoebe Winterbottom, or Peeby as Gram and Gramps refer to her. But in telling Phoebe's story, Sal is also telling her grandparent's her own - how she is dealing with the changes in her life since her mother left their Kentucky home and she and her father moved to Ohio. The narrative moves back and forth between Sal on the road with her grandparents and Sal's story of Phoebe, but throughout, she privately reflects on her own memories of life back in Kentucky before her mother went away, when things seemed calm and whole. The journey west with her grandparents, who are colorful, quirky characters with boundless love, is healing for Sal as she comes to understand and accept why her mother went away. An added bonus for Wisconsin readers are the stops Sal and her grandparents make in downtown Madison and the Wisconsin Dells as they journey west. Winner, 1994 CCBC Newbery Award Discussion. CCBC categories: Fiction For Children; Fiction For Teenagers. 1994, HarperCollins, 280 pages, $15.89. Ages 10-14.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

For my sister and brothers; Sandy, Dennis, Doug, Tom with love from The Favorite
Gramps says that I am a Country Girl at heart, and that is true.
In the car, I studied the map, leaned back in the seat and closed my eyes. Gramps knew what I was going to do.
Roses are red,
Dirt is brown,
Please be my valentine,
Or else I'll frown

PS I've never written poetry before.

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother olso left.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060560134, Mass Market Paperback)

Thirteen-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle's mother has disappeared. While tracing her steps on a car trip from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents, Salamanca tells a story to pass the time about a friend named Phoebe Winterbottom whose mother vanished and who received secret messages after her disappearance. One of them read, "Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins." Despite her father's warning that she is "fishing in the air," Salamanca hopes to bring her home. By drawing strength from her Native American ancestry, she is able to face the truth about her mother. Walk Two Moons won the 1995 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:30 -0400)

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother also left.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,347,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible