Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Walk Two Moons (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Sharon Creech

5,368212814 (4.14)1 / 109
Member:glalibrary
Title:Walk Two Moons
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:Scholastic Inc. (1994), Paperback, 280 pages
Tags:Young Adult Fiction, Adventure, Family, Ohio, Idaho

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (1994)

Very enjoyable to listen to! So well read that the ending made me cry. Since I was on the bike at the Fitness Center, I hope that others thought it was sweat running down my cheeks. I just loved the grandparents and their nicknames for each other and for their granddaughter. I will remember "Gooseberry"" for a long time.
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Walk Two Moons tells the story of thirteen year old Salamanca Tree Hiddle as she travels across the country with her grandparents. Along the way, she tells her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe Winterbottom, and the disappearance of Phoebe’s mother. Salamanca also reflects on the departure of her own mother from their home in Kentucky. The characters are all incredibly endearing and the story is funny and touching. My five star rating of this book is likely heavily influenced by the fact that I listened to the audiobook, and the woman reading it was absolutely amazing. Just thinking about the voices of Gram and Gramps brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye.

This book won the Newbery award in 1995, and I am curious what young readers think of the book. Many of the adult characters in this book are complicated and dynamic, and the book seems to be as much about their struggles as the struggles of the young narrator and her friend.

(On the note of whether young readers like the book, I just read a review on Barnes and Noble’s website by a fifth grader. It starts, “Omg, okso, this book has to be the best book OF ALL TIME,” and ends with, “so, if ur lookingat buying this book…..BUY IT its worth the money. Promise. ;kk. BYE.”)

Huzza, huzza.
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Change the cover! This book has been shuffled from one pile or bookshelf to another for the past 8 years. I knew I "should" read it, but really wasn't that interested. WOW. One of the most amazing young adult novels that I've EVER read. I'm wanting to discuss it at length and feel unready to really review it; the experience is still too raw.

I'll get back to this.

I recommend this to Ami. Audiobook rocked. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
This is such a great book! It's funny, happy, and sad all at once. It's about a girl named Salamanca. She's 13 proud of her country roots, but she lives in Ohio now. Sal is on a trip with her wacky grandparents to "see" her mom. Along the way, she tells them a story of Pheobe Winterbottom, who have been receiving mysterious messages, meets a potential lunatic, and whose mother disappeared. Her own story unravels as the adventure continues! ( )
  flackm | Jul 25, 2015 |
The only word that describes this book's essence is precious. It included two simple, yet lovely stories that I will forever hold dear to my heart. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
Deborah Stevenson (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, January 1995 (Vol. 48, No. 5))
Salamanca-Sal-grew up in Kentucky, but she and her father moved to Ohio after her mother's death; she and her grandparents are currently taking a road trip to Idaho, where her mother is buried. As they travel, Sal relates to her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe, whose unhappy mother left Phoebe's family; Sal finds that recounting Phoebe's story helps her understand the desertion of her own mother, who was later killed when the bus taking her away from her family crashed. Creech skillfully keeps these layers separate but makes their interrelationship clear, and the plot moves along amid all this contemplation with the aid of a mysterious note-leaver, a local "lunatic," an eccentric English teacher, and Sal's budding romance, not to mention Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful, and a poisonous snakebite along the road of Sal's trip with her grandparents. The style is smooth and imaginative but cheerfully plain-spoken ("I wanted to jump up and say, 'Phoebe's mother has disappeared and that is why Phoebe is acting like a complete donkey,' but I didn't"), and the folksiness of Sal's grandparents (Sal's grandfather calls Sal his "chickabiddy" and his wife "gooseberry") is warm and uncontrived. Readers who enjoyed Barbara Hall's Dixie Storms (BCCB 7/90) will appreciate this strong and tender novel about all kinds of gain and loss. R*--Highly recommended as a book of special distinction. (c) Copyright 1995, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 1994, HarperCollins, 280p, $15.89 and $16.00. Grades 7-12.
added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Deborah Stevenson

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1994)
Singular, vividly realized characters are at the heart of this moving, funny and astonishing novel. On a cross-country trip to Idaho to visit her mother, thirteen-year-old Sal fascinates and delights her grandparents with the story of mystery surrounding her best friend Phoebe Winterbottom, or Peeby as Gram and Gramps refer to her. But in telling Phoebe's story, Sal is also telling her grandparent's her own - how she is dealing with the changes in her life since her mother left their Kentucky home and she and her father moved to Ohio. The narrative moves back and forth between Sal on the road with her grandparents and Sal's story of Phoebe, but throughout, she privately reflects on her own memories of life back in Kentucky before her mother went away, when things seemed calm and whole. The journey west with her grandparents, who are colorful, quirky characters with boundless love, is healing for Sal as she comes to understand and accept why her mother went away. An added bonus for Wisconsin readers are the stops Sal and her grandparents make in downtown Madison and the Wisconsin Dells as they journey west. Winner, 1994 CCBC Newbery Award Discussion. CCBC categories: Fiction For Children; Fiction For Teenagers. 1994, HarperCollins, 280 pages, $15.89. Ages 10-14.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

For my sister and brothers; Sandy, Dennis, Doug, Tom with love from The Favorite
Gramps says that I am a Country Girl at heart, and that is true.
In the car, I studied the map, leaned back in the seat and closed my eyes. Gramps knew what I was going to do.
Roses are red,
Dirt is brown,
Please be my valentine,
Or else I'll frown

PS I've never written poetry before.

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother olso left.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060560134, Mass Market Paperback)

Thirteen-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle's mother has disappeared. While tracing her steps on a car trip from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents, Salamanca tells a story to pass the time about a friend named Phoebe Winterbottom whose mother vanished and who received secret messages after her disappearance. One of them read, "Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins." Despite her father's warning that she is "fishing in the air," Salamanca hopes to bring her home. By drawing strength from her Native American ancestry, she is able to face the truth about her mother. Walk Two Moons won the 1995 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:05 -0400)

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother also left.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,057,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible