Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Walk Two Moons (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Sharon Creech

5,294205835 (4.14)1 / 106
Member:glalibrary
Title:Walk Two Moons
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:Scholastic Inc. (1994), Paperback, 280 pages
Tags:Young Adult Fiction, Adventure, Family, Ohio, Idaho

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (1994)

In my opinion this is a good book for students who are in the fifth grade to read wither on their own or as a class. The beginning of the book was very difficult to get into but once you get in about to page seventy the fluency increases as well as the flow of the story. The language seemed informative for the most part as well as somber towards the end of the story. The characters were described in great detail which allowed the reader to get closer to the story and the understanding of all the events that happened throughout the story. I would recommend this book to my older students. ( )
  jherrm1 | May 3, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. First, the characters were very well developed and each of them had distinctive personalities. Sal is a young girl who is struggling with the absence of her mother, she is stubborn, vulnerable, and slightly pessimistic. For example, Sal says, “Even when everything seems fine and good, I worry that something will go wrong and change everything.” Sal has gone through a lot in her short years of living and you can feel her struggle within herself throughout the novel. I also really enjoyed the plot of the story. Although some parts of the novel were slow, the suspense and plot twists throughout kept me engaged as a reader. The entire story you are living within the main character's embellished story. Rereading this story ten years or so after I originally read it was an eye-opening experience. It forced me to appreciate the overall message of, "never judge a man, until you walk two moons in his moccasins." As a young reader, I would not have made all of these connections the book had to offer, but now I realize that everyone has a different viewpoint and should never be judged until you've been in his or her position. ( )
  mpotts1 | May 1, 2015 |
Summary:
This book is about Salamanca Tree Hiddle or Sal and her best friend Phoebe. Two stories are going on the one is Sal is on a road trip with her grandparents to Lewiston, Idaho to visit her mother's grave and while they are on the road trip she is telling her grandparents about Phoebe and her story. Sal's dad moves her to Ohio from Kentucky to a suburb from the country. Additionally to near Margaret Cadaver lives a new friend of her dad. Sal doesn't like her or the new place. She meets Phoebe and they become close friends. As they get to know each other Phoebe's mom is getting more and more sad and eventually gets up and leaves. She comes back with her first son who had been put up for adoption. Someone who Phoebe and Sal thought was a lunatic crazy person. They also came up with an elaborate story that Margaret killed her husband and buried him in the back yard and Sal's dad was next. In reality Margaret was the only survivor of a bus/car accident in Lewiston that killed Sal's mom and Margarete's husband was killed in a car accident along with blinding her mother. Her grandma gets bit by a water moccasin and dies just before they get to Sal's mom's grave. Sal realizes through both of these stories that you shouldn't judge someone without walking a mile in their moccasins. She also realizes she can let go of the guilt she held for herself and her dad in her mom leaving and dying.
Personal Reaction:
I read this book when I was a young teen and I remember loving the book because it made me feel better that I wasn't alone in some of my thoughts with how Sal thinks and feels in the book. Now as I reread the book as an adult and as a mother it is hard not to cry. Sal losing her gram and how I lost my Grandma and just the thought of a mother and what could take them away from their children and how they must have felt is heartbreaking. This book is definitely for the teens but does help with discovering yourself and not judging others without knowing them.
Extension Ideas:
Its hard to think of ideas to do with other kids that don't get excited over small projects or art projects.
I guess having the students draw what they think their soul looks like.
maybe having them keep a mini journal of things they see or think of ( )
  SarahSpangler0515 | Apr 15, 2015 |
I liked this book for 2 reasons. The first reason is because I admired the development of the characters. The characters each had very strong and defined personalities. Sal is a young girl who is struggling with the absence of her mother; she is stubborn and vulnerable. For example, Sal says, “Even when everything seems fine and good, I worry that something will go wrong and change everything.” Sal's grandparents taker her on a trip to visit her mother, they are understanding of what Sal needs to move on in her life. The grandparents are an example of how to enjoy life and take it as it comes. They try to show Sal all the wonderful things the world has to offer before getting to Idaho. First, Gramps takes everyone to visit Mt. Rushmore and then Grams decides to go to Old Faithful in Yellowstone. Another reason why the grandparents were taking so many detours could have been to procrastinate since they knew what was to come when they reached their intended destination.
Another reason why I liked this book was for the plot twist. For a large portion of the book the reader is actually living Sal’s fantasy. They are experiencing her denial as she talks through the events of her life. Talking to her grandparents on their trip is Sal’s grieving process, she says toward the end of the novel, “I also realized that there were lots of reasons why my father didn’t take me to Idaho when he got the news oh her death…Only later did I understand that I has to go and see for myself.” This story displayed the power of love and grief, showing that it can affect everyone in tremendous ways. ( )
  nlinco1 | Apr 14, 2015 |
This book is one of my all time favorites since I first read it when I was in the fifth grade. The main character is Sal, who is a 12 year-old Native American girl traveling to Idaho with her grandparents, as she tells them stories about her friends in Bybanks. The trip that they’re taking to Idaho is in order to retrace Sal’s mother Sugar’s steps. Her mother left Sal and her father a year prior to the trip in the story, so they are going to where she was headed on her voyage. Sal’s Grandparents, Gramps and Grams, provide humor throughout the book, since it is essentially about grief and facing the loss of a loved one (Sal’s mother). Every time Sal and her grandparents stop to stay at a motel during their trip Gramps says “it ain’t our marriage bed, but it’ll do,” which I thought was really sweet.
Sal befriends a girl named Pheobe in the story, who is much different than easygoing, polite Sal. She is ignorant and bossy but Sal feels sorry for her because her mother leaves their family as well. In the book, Sal describes her strange friendship with Pheobe by saying, “There was something about Phoebe that was like a magnet. I was drawn to her. I was pretty sure that underneath all that odd behavior was someone who was frightened. And, in a strange way, she was like another version of me—she acted out the way I sometimes felt.” I thought the dynamic between the two girls throughout the story was really interesting because although they are so different, they share a strong emotional attachment to their mothers and that’s what keeps them so close.
The main ideas in this book are to not judge someone by their appearance, and know that everyone is going through different struggles. Also, because Sal’s mother we find out died in a bus accident on her way to Idaho a year prior to the story, grief and how to deal with loss are big themes throughout the book. ( )
  tmalon4 | Apr 12, 2015 |
Deborah Stevenson (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, January 1995 (Vol. 48, No. 5))
Salamanca-Sal-grew up in Kentucky, but she and her father moved to Ohio after her mother's death; she and her grandparents are currently taking a road trip to Idaho, where her mother is buried. As they travel, Sal relates to her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe, whose unhappy mother left Phoebe's family; Sal finds that recounting Phoebe's story helps her understand the desertion of her own mother, who was later killed when the bus taking her away from her family crashed. Creech skillfully keeps these layers separate but makes their interrelationship clear, and the plot moves along amid all this contemplation with the aid of a mysterious note-leaver, a local "lunatic," an eccentric English teacher, and Sal's budding romance, not to mention Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful, and a poisonous snakebite along the road of Sal's trip with her grandparents. The style is smooth and imaginative but cheerfully plain-spoken ("I wanted to jump up and say, 'Phoebe's mother has disappeared and that is why Phoebe is acting like a complete donkey,' but I didn't"), and the folksiness of Sal's grandparents (Sal's grandfather calls Sal his "chickabiddy" and his wife "gooseberry") is warm and uncontrived. Readers who enjoyed Barbara Hall's Dixie Storms (BCCB 7/90) will appreciate this strong and tender novel about all kinds of gain and loss. R*--Highly recommended as a book of special distinction. (c) Copyright 1995, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 1994, HarperCollins, 280p, $15.89 and $16.00. Grades 7-12.
added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Deborah Stevenson

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1994)
Singular, vividly realized characters are at the heart of this moving, funny and astonishing novel. On a cross-country trip to Idaho to visit her mother, thirteen-year-old Sal fascinates and delights her grandparents with the story of mystery surrounding her best friend Phoebe Winterbottom, or Peeby as Gram and Gramps refer to her. But in telling Phoebe's story, Sal is also telling her grandparent's her own - how she is dealing with the changes in her life since her mother left their Kentucky home and she and her father moved to Ohio. The narrative moves back and forth between Sal on the road with her grandparents and Sal's story of Phoebe, but throughout, she privately reflects on her own memories of life back in Kentucky before her mother went away, when things seemed calm and whole. The journey west with her grandparents, who are colorful, quirky characters with boundless love, is healing for Sal as she comes to understand and accept why her mother went away. An added bonus for Wisconsin readers are the stops Sal and her grandparents make in downtown Madison and the Wisconsin Dells as they journey west. Winner, 1994 CCBC Newbery Award Discussion. CCBC categories: Fiction For Children; Fiction For Teenagers. 1994, HarperCollins, 280 pages, $15.89. Ages 10-14.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

For my sister and brothers; Sandy, Dennis, Doug, Tom with love from The Favorite
Gramps says that I am a Country Girl at heart, and that is true.
In the car, I studied the map, leaned back in the seat and closed my eyes. Gramps knew what I was going to do.
Roses are red,
Dirt is brown,
Please be my valentine,
Or else I'll frown

PS I've never written poetry before.

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother olso left.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060560134, Mass Market Paperback)

Thirteen-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle's mother has disappeared. While tracing her steps on a car trip from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents, Salamanca tells a story to pass the time about a friend named Phoebe Winterbottom whose mother vanished and who received secret messages after her disappearance. One of them read, "Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins." Despite her father's warning that she is "fishing in the air," Salamanca hopes to bring her home. By drawing strength from her Native American ancestry, she is able to face the truth about her mother. Walk Two Moons won the 1995 Newbery Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:30 -0400)

After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother also left.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,788,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible